• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists map entire human genome, opening door to new medical discoveries

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
FoxNews/Pravda is acknowledging scientists and evolution without disparaging either one. You've come a long way, baby.

After more than two decades, scientists say they have finally mapped out the entire human genome, paving the way for deeper insights into evolution, cancer, and birth defects.

Were they able to discover any genes that pointed to genders other than male and female?

Were they able to discover any genes that pointed to genders other than male and female?
😳
Tell us you know nothing about how genes, gender, male and female work/relate without telling us you know nothing about how genes, gender, male and female work/relate
🤣🍿

Very cool stuff. Sorry your thread is turning into a bunch of juvenile bullshit, but that’s todays DP.
That was the extent of the OP. Why should other posters be responsible for discussing something that the OP is unwilling to discuss? It's lazy.

That was the extent of the OP. Why should other posters be responsible for discussing something that the OP is unwilling to discuss? It's lazy.
Because it is cool stuff. The entirety of your response, as it often is, was “ok”. Still working on that post count I see.

Because it is cool stuff. The entirety of your response, as it often is, was “ok”. Still working on that post count I see.
The OP is famous for these lazy threads. Your concern for my post count is heart-warming.

Mapping this genetic material should help explain how humans adapted to and survived infections and plagues, how our bodies clear toxins, how individuals respond differently to drugs, what makes the brain distinctly human and what makes each of us distinct from each other, said Evan Eichler, a geneticist at the University of Washington School of Medicine who helped lead the research.

I find this fascinating. This project has been ongoing since 1985 and just finally completed. I can't wait to see the medical progress that comes from this.

I find this fascinating. This project has been ongoing since 1985 and just finally completed. I can't wait to see the medical progress that comes from this.
I remember when it first started and wondered when it would be finished. Really glad I got to see it.

Not griping but the subject, even on a basic level is ridiculously complex. :) After reading CpG methylated sites generated Oxford Nanopore RNA polymerase...
...my mind wants to read Dr. Suess's "Hop on Pop" :)

Long-read sequencing supported the complete, telomere-to-telomere (T2T) assembly of the pseudo-haploid human cell line CHM13. , including TEs and previously unknown repeats and satellites.. Additionally, a complete genome enables the opportunity to explore the epigenetic and transcriptional profiles of these Kn3 elements.......modes of repeat divergence, evolution, and expansion or contraction will result in locus-level resolution.

Using this method, we developed an updated catalog of human repetitive sequences and refined previous repeat annotations. We discovered 43 previously unknown repeats and repeat variants and characterized 19 complex, composite repetitive structures, which often carry genes, across T2T-CHM13. Using precision nuclear run-on sequencing (PRO-seq) and CpG methylated sites generated from Oxford Nanopore Technologies long-read sequencing data, we assessed RNA polymerase engagement across retroelements genome-wide, revealing correlations between nascent transcription, sequence divergence, CpG density, and methylation. These analyses were extended to evaluate RNA polymerase occupancy for all repeats, including high-density satellite repeats that reside in previously inaccessible centromeric regions of all human chromosomes. Moreover, using both mapping-dependent and mapping-independent approaches across early developmental stages and a complete cell cycle time series, we found that engaged RNA polymerase across satellites is low; in contrast, TE transcription is abundant and serves as a boundary for changes in CpG methylation and centromere substructure. Together, these data reveal the dynamic relationship between transcriptionally active retroelement subclasses and DNA methylation, as well as potential mechanisms for the derivation and evolution of new repeat families and composite elements. Focusing on the emerging T2T-level assembly of the HG002 X chromosome, we reveal that a high level of repeat variation likely exists across the human population, including composite element copy numbers that affect gene copy number. Additionally, we highlight the impact of repeats on the structural diversity of the genome, revealing repeat expansions with extreme copy number differences between humans and primates while also providing high-confidence annotations of retroelement transduction events.

All we need now is more comprehensive and involved stem cell research and therapy.

This was the easy part. Now begins the hard part of trying to figure out what, if anything, all of those genes do.

Back
Top Bottom