• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists FlipFlop Back to Global COOLING?

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The alleged weakening of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation appears to be triggering a growing amount of speculation about abrupt cooling, like the plot of the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”.
Who else is speculating about abrupt cooling? One name which might surprise you is former NASA GISS director James Hansen.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/07...-flipflop-back-to-global-cooling-predictions/

*sigh* Do I have to explain the "global cooling" myth to you again? Will you remember this time?

The alleged weakening of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation appears to be triggering a growing amount of speculation about abrupt cooling, like the plot of the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”.
Who else is speculating about abrupt cooling? One name which might surprise you is former NASA GISS director James Hansen.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/07...-flipflop-back-to-global-cooling-predictions/

Now that would give the EU a real world problem to deal with. The continental ice shelf reached all the way into Bavaria in one of those ice ages.

I'll dig into some source material provided, but you have to admit. Watts is getting out on the edge when he allows similes to things like "The Day After Tomorrow."

Just hope he doesn't fall off that edge.

*sigh* Do I have to explain the "global cooling" myth to you again? Will you remember this time?

Actually this is not a myth and has nothing to do with global cooling. It is a local event ice age.

Actually this is not a myth and has nothing to do with global cooling. It is a local event ice age.
Seems to me I have heard about those 'ice ages' in the past. I remember reading about how the industrial era caused the ice age back 3 million years ago or so.

Seems to me I have heard about those 'ice ages' in the past. I remember reading about how the industrial era caused the ice age back 3 million years ago or so.

Your memory is false.

Either your memory is playing you a turn or you were played April's fool.

Your memory is false.
Yeah...I could be mistaken. I experimented a bit with pharmaceuticals back in the 70's so I could have gotten the whole man made thing wrong. Its possible...hell...even probably that all that climate change has been a historical reality all along with changes having absolutely nothing to do with the cavemans discovery of fire.

Either your memory is playing you a turn or you were played April's fool.
See post 9.

Flashbacks though...I do very clearly remember that Global Cooling and the pending Ice Age was all the rage in the 70's.

I just got done addressing this in Jack Hayes' Solar Minimum thread. I'll repeat it here.

The author of this article is neglecting to even discuss what would also likely be happening at the same time if we saw cooling like this. And that is massive sea level rise. Now I could be wrong here but if I am reading these articles correctly then the drastic temperature drops shown in that first graph would be caused by the shutting down of the AMOC due to massive ice loss in Greenland and/or Antarctica. And that melting might correspond to sea level rise of 5 meters.

Sorry guys but I doubt that any temporary decline in temps associated with this kind of sea level rise is going to help your cause.

Also from Hansen's article:

Cooling from ice melt is largely regional, temporary, and does not alleviate concerns about global warming. Southern Hemisphere cooling is mainly in uninhabited regions. Northern Hemisphere cooling increases temperature gradients that will drive stronger storms (Sect. 3.9).
Global cooling due to ice melt causes a large increase in Earth’s energy imbalance (Fig. 7b), adding about C 2 W m

Looking at the related pages on the link, I'll just go with the contention that they don't know squat.

Yeah...I could be mistaken. I experimented a bit with pharmaceuticals back in the 70's so I could have gotten the whole man made thing wrong. Its possible...hell...even probably that all that climate change has been a historical reality all along with changes having absolutely nothing to do with the cavemans discovery of fire.

Erm, yes. Climate changes naturally. You seem to be the last person on the planet to have figured that out.

See post 9.

Flashbacks though...I do very clearly remember that Global Cooling and the pending Ice Age was all the rage in the 70's.

You are mistaken. It wasn't "all the rage." In fact, it was always a minority opinion. What you're really remembering is some media hype. Congrats on being duped by sensationalist journalists.

Erm, yes. Climate changes naturally. You seem to be the last person on the planet to have figured that out.

You are mistaken. It wasn't "all the rage." In fact, it was always a minority opinion. What you're really remembering is some media hype. Congrats on being duped by sensationalist journalists.

Actually you are the fanboy swallowing ever global warming myth about climate change you have been offered.

Actually you are the fanboy swallowing ever global warming myth about climate change you have been offered.

I've shown you evidence of this global cooling issue before. Would you like it again, or do you want to just go with more childish attacks?

I've shown you evidence of this global cooling issue before. Would you like it again, or do you want to just go with more childish attacks?

I think it's cute you feel 'attacked'. Poor widdle feelerz. The irony of course is watching you and the rest of the pro AGE autobots roll with your hatred and derision of everyone that doesnt bob and swallow like you do and then watching you whine about being 'attacked'. :lamo

The global cooling scare was the precursor to the global warming scare. Geeeeeeeezus dood....if we all believed the **** you swallow we would all be wondering why the earth wasn't destroyed 6 years ago and we wouldn't have to watch you and others tap dance and make excuses about how you are still right, it's just 'different'.

But then...you are a faith based true believer. We know that about you.

I think it's cute you feel 'attacked'. Poor widdle feelerz. The irony of course is watching you and the rest of the pro AGE autobots roll with your hatred and derision of everyone that doesnt bob and swallow like you do and then watching you whine about being 'attacked'. :lamo

The global cooling scare was the precursor to the global warming scare. Geeeeeeeezus dood....if we all believed the **** you swallow we would all be wondering why the earth wasn't destroyed 6 years ago and we wouldn't have to watch you and others tap dance and make excuses about how you are still right, it's just 'different'.

Even in the 70s, impending cooling was a minority opinion among scientists.

If your perception was different, well, clearly you weren't as well informed as you could have been.

Hey...........It's hard being a groupie these days. Give the guy a break? ;)

Hey...........It's hard being a groupie these days. Give the guy a break? ;)

More sad personal attacks from the crowd with no real argument to present.

More sad personal attacks from the crowd with no real argument to present.

You can choose to be a climate groupie if you like, that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect everyone to join you. With that said, you have produced plenty of your own snarky comments in your replies to others.

Even in the 70s, impending cooling was a minority opinion among scientists.

If your perception was different, well, clearly you weren't as well informed as you could have been.

The point is that you and people like you swallow anything. It's....sad. And then we get to watch you regurgitate and parrot their words like you know what you are talking about and worse, you get to make excuses once their lies and manipulations are exposed. The ever evolving AGW dance has been fun to watch ever since George Bush was elected.

You can choose to be a climate groupie if you like, that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect everyone to join you. With that said, you have produced plenty of your own snarky comments in your replies to others.

That's the BEST part of all this....watching these guys OOOOOOOOZE snark and then watch their indignation when the are exposed.

The point is that you and people like you swallow anything. It's....sad. And then we get to watch you regurgitate and parrot their words like you know what you are talking about and worse, you get to make excuses once their lies and manipulations are exposed. The ever evolving AGW dance has been fun to watch ever since George Bush was elected.

Says the guy swallowing this concept of "hurf durf all the scientists thought an ice age was coming."

Says the guy swallowing this concept of "hurf durf all the scientists thought an ice age was coming."

Wow. One might have thought that whole comment was made in jest. Of course...you are dealing with getting nailed in your lies in the other thread so I can see where you are still 'tender'. :lamo

Back
Top Bottom