• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists Find 'Liberal Gene'

buck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Scientists Find 'Liberal Gene' | NBC San Diego

Researchers have determined that genetics could matter when it comes to some adults' political leanings.

According to scientists at UC San Diego and Harvard University, "ideology is affected not just by social factors, but also by a dopamine receptor gene called DRD4." That and how many friends you had during high school.

I've always said liberals were not normal. Actually, that's only partially true. My own pet theroy for many years was that liberals tended to be right brain dominant (emotional / artistic). However, some fairly recent developments in the lateralization of the brain may have disruped that theory. This one can now take its place.

Proves being Liberal is natural.
Religiosity is a gene too. You gonna 'cure' that?

Bet I can also find a Gene that distuingishes Star Trek Fans from Star Wars Fans.

Though it's probably more braincells that differentiate them (just kidding I love both... except the prequels)

I think there must also be a gene for stylish hair, because mine sure is looking great today. :cool:

I've always said liberals were not normal.

If intelligence and compassion were normal, the definitions of the words would just become even more exclusive.

Actually, that's only partially true.

As in, the part that's not.

My own pet theroy for many years was that liberals tended to be right brain dominant (emotional / artistic).

Not quite - it's just that different emotions apply. For instance, love, empathy, joy, and self-righteous anger are a big part of a liberal's makeup. The conservative emotional profile is more about fear, hate, jealousy, and self-involvement - the sort of bullying personality type that nourishes itself mainly by denying someone else's value. So I wouldn't say that conservatives tend to be "left-brained," because in truth they're not logical or even rationalizing - being too thoughtful or considerate would make them aware of the immorality of their ill-intentions toward others, so they prefer the purity of violence and power to the self-reflection of consciousness.

Way worse!

I just think the whole oh my God we found this gene or oh my God we found that gene to be stupid. I want to see multiple legit studies that have gone through the process before I buy this whole new discovery scene.

Now now, I thought science was SCIENCE, the ultimate arbiter of everything and not to be questioned. :mrgreen:

As someone being trained in genetics, this looks bogus and I would say it's more environmental. They should probably look at dopamine and gene expression in self professing liberals and conservatives for a comparison. Also, it could just be a correlation. Liberals and conservatives seem to be more regionally concentrated, and having children with someone like minded and most likely from your region will cause a genetic shift in the amount of a certain allele present in a population's genome.

There are several studies that show "a general factor in underlying conservatives beliefs is fear of uncertainty," and so is intolerance of ambiguity and a need for cognitive closure (Jost, Glaser, Kruglanksi, and Sulloway 2003). These studies showed that liberal have a higher tolerance for change. It has also been shown that social dominance orientation is strongly associated with conservative political views.

The Liberal gene... yet another fascinating example of how harmful mutations can subsist in a species, contrary to the old Darwinian adage that "only the strong survive"

So... It appears that liberals were correct all along in asserting and insisting that "Liberalism is NOT a mental disorder"... it's really more of a genetic disorder.

High risk groups - women, blacks, and effeminate men - are all urged to get tested.

Not quite - it's just that different emotions apply. For instance, love, empathy, joy, and self-righteous anger are a big part of a liberal's makeup. The conservative emotional profile is more about fear, hate, jealousy, and self-involvement - the sort of bullying personality type that nourishes itself mainly by denying someone else's value. So I wouldn't say that conservatives tend to be "left-brained," because in truth they're not logical or even rationalizing - being too thoughtful or considerate would make them aware of the immorality of their ill-intentions toward others, so they prefer the purity of violence and power to the self-reflection of consciousness.

Yeah, that's it. Liberals are made of sugar and spice and all that's nice. Us conservatives are made of frogs and snails and puppy-dogs' tails. You sure showed me.

So according to the study, conservatives have a lack of dopamine and are anti-social? Makes sense actually.

Conservatives are not anti social, but the way they socialize is scary. Ever see Karl Rove dance?

Not to mention Larry Craig, buttsurfer Republican senator from Idaho. He been spreading his genes all over the place....:lol:

A lot of conservatives just aren't genuinely good or nice people. They are very xenophobic, aggressive, overly concerned with the protection of their "culture", paranoid about terrorist and Muslim takeovers, very hate filled, racist, I mean, have you ever watched O'rielly or Hannity? Those are the two most unpleasant men on the planet.

A lot of conservatives just aren't genuinely good or nice people. They are very xenophobic, aggressive, overly concerned with the protection of their "culture", paranoid about terrorist and Muslim takeovers, very hate filled, racist, I mean, have you ever watched O'rielly or Hannity? Those are the two most unpleasant men on the planet.

I watched O'Reilly for a few years and while he can be a loud overbearing ass he isn't one of the most unpleasant men on the planet. I think you just met the wrong conservatives if you think this.

Back
Top Bottom