• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Metaphysical thought processes are more deeply wired than hitherto suspected

WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

While this idea may seem outlandish—after all, it seems easy to decide not to believe in God—evidence from several disciplines indicates that what you actually believe is not a decision you make for yourself. Your fundamental beliefs are decided by much deeper levels of consciousness, and some may well be more or less set in stone.

This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist. “They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since we are born believers, not atheists, scientists say. Humans are pattern-seekers from birth, with a belief in karma, or cosmic justice, as our default setting. “A slew of cognitive traits predisposes us to faith,” writes Pascal Boyer in Nature, the science journal, adding that people “are only aware of some of their religious ideas”.

INTERNAL MONOLOGUES

Scientists have discovered that “invisible friends” are not something reserved for children. We all have them, and encounter them often in the form of interior monologues. As we experience events, we mentally tell a non-present listener about it.

The imagined listener may be a spouse, it may be Jesus or Buddha or it may be no one in particular. It’s just how the way the human mind processes facts. The identity, tangibility or existence of the listener is irrelevant.

“From childhood, people form enduring, stable and important relationships with fictional characters, imaginary friends, deceased relatives, unseen heroes and fantasized mates,” says Boyer of Washington University, himself an atheist. This feeling of having an awareness of another consciousness might simply be the way our natural operating system works.

PUZZLING RESPONSES

These findings may go a long way to explaining a series of puzzles in recent social science studies. In the United States, 38% of people who identified themselves as atheist or agnostic went on to claim to believe in a God or a Higher Power (Pew Forum, “Religion and the Unaffiliated”, 2012).

While the UK is often defined as an irreligious place, a recent survey by Theos, a think tank, found that very few people—only 13 per cent of adults—agreed with the statement “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”. For the vast majority of us, unseen realities are very present.

When researchers asked people whether they had taken part in esoteric spiritual practices such as having a Reiki session or having their aura read, the results were almost identical (between 38 and 40%) for people who defined themselves as religious, non-religious or atheist.

The implication is that we all believe in a not dissimilar range of tangible and intangible realities. Whether a particular brand of higher consciousness is included in that list (“I believe in God”, “I believe in some sort of higher force”, “I believe in no higher consciousness”) is little more than a detail.
https://www.science20.com/writer_on...s_might_not_exist_and_thats_not_a_joke-139982

For the record i dont do reiki, dont believe in spirits or spiritualism at all. Yep we are just material where damage to the brain can literally change your entire personality.

Aaaaand Elora dehumanizing atheists. Some of that real JW cult love. Im so glad i never joined this cult.
Not at all...did you read the article...it points out that being an atheist goes against our make-up, so in truth, atheists are being dishonest with themselves...

Not at all...did you read the article...it points out that being an atheist goes against our make-up, so in truth, atheists are being dishonest with themselves...
Yeah ive heard this shit from sye ten. I tend to bully those people real hard ;). Dehumanization also means denial of identity. Its bullshit claims from some pop science rag using theistic sources.

Since you people can no longer slaughter the non believers, now you turn to denying we even exist. Im gonna tell you right here and now. We exist and we will never go away so just get used to it or sit around wasting your life waiting for some fairy tale to come true.

Best not call me a liar before actually letting me speak that tends to make me have less respect for you than a cockroach.

Last edited:
Ueah ive heard this shit from sye ten. I tend to bully those people real hard ;). Dehumanization also means denial of identity.
I think it's the other way around...atheism dehumanizes a person...

Gonna say it now. Im unrepentant and always will be. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of ;).

Atheists make be sad but theists make me sadder. Amazing how both can be so mistaken. No one can read the mind of god even if he or she exists.

Atheists make be sad but theists make me sadder. Amazing how both can be so mistaken. No one can read the mind of god even if he or she exists.
So what's the answer, Lemmi?

Well, haven't you noticed how the majority, not all, but most, are so nasty?
Nah ive noticed quite the opposite in many areas around the world. However it is completely irrelevant to the thread.

You know what Christians will do that atheists wont do? Deny you exist or try to erase you from recognition. You should offer the same courtesy but i know you people.

Nah ive noticed quite the opposite in many areas around the world. However it is completely irrelevant to the thread.

You know what Christians will do that atheists wont do? Deny you exist or try to erase you from recognition. You should offer the same courtesy but i know you people.
That is not what the article is about...why are you twisting it?

So what's the answer, Lemmi?

Sometimes you need to man up and take responsibility for your own actions. Don't depend on the great white bearded Sky Creature to save your bacon every time you screw up.

That is not what the article is about...why are you twisting it?
Why are you lying about what you just posted hmmm? You said we dont exist. Just fess up. You dont like atheists, we’re satanic boogeymen i get it. However i wont let you erase us.

Why are you lying about what you just posted hmmm? You said we dont exist. Just fess up. You dont like atheists, we’re satanic boogeymen i get it. However i wont let you erase us.
I'm not...perhaps you did not understand what you read...

Sometimes you need to man up and take responsibility for your own actions. Don't depend on the great white bearded Sky Creature to save your bacon every time you screw up.
I don't expect that...God never promised us a stress free life but He did promise us the strength to endure whatever life throws at us...

I don't expect that...God never promised us a stress free life but He did promise us the strength to endure whatever life throws at us...

I'm closing in on 70 years on this earth and God has never promised me anything. I'm still waiting believe me but I don't expect to hear from Him or Her any time soon. Would be nice so I could have a true religious experience but so far it hasn't happened.

I'm not...perhaps you did not understand what you read...
Oh i can read it alright. Ive already heard the same song and dance from Sye Ten Bruggencate. Try as you might, we arent going anywhere :D

None were found in foxholes.

“The atheist knows in his heart there is a god!”

Dont try to deny it!

Yeah heard it all before. You really should stop.

I'm closing in on 70 years on this earth and God has never promised me anything. I'm still waiting believe me but I don't expect to hear from Him or Her any time soon. Would be nice so I could have a true religious experience but so far it hasn't happened.
I just turned 69 this month...heard someone say once that complaining about God being silent while your Bible is closed is like complaining about not getting texts when your phone is turned off...just something to think about...

Back
Top Bottom