• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists Develop Tractor Beam

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Scientists have invented a tractor beam which is able to move large objects longer distances than ever before by using a laser light.
A team of researchers at the Australian National University in Canberra have brought the art of molecular transportation, made famous by the catchphrase 'Beam me up, Scotty' from the TV series Star Trek, a fraction closer.
Using what they call tractor beams - rays of energy that can move objects - they have managed to move tiny particles up to 59 inches from one place to another.

article-1310398-0B19D3C6000005DC-485_468x292.jpg
Breakthrough: The machine used to create the tractor beam which brought the art of molecular transportation closer

While physicists have been able to manipulate tiny particles over minuscule distances by using lasers for years, Andrei Rhode, one of the Canberra researchers, says his team's technique can move objects one hundred times that size over a distance of almost five feet.
The method involves shining a hollow laser beam around tiny glass particles which heats up the air around them.

The centre of the beam which strikes the particles stays cool resulting in them being drawn towards the beam's warm edges.
But the heated air molecules that are bouncing around strike the surface of the glass particles and nudge them back to the cooler centre.
Dr Rhode explained that by using two laser beams, the particles can be manipulated to move in different directions.
'We think the technique could work over even longer distances than those we've tested,' he said.
'With the particles and the laser we use, I would guess up to 10 metres (about 33ft).'
The maximum distance he and his team could achieve was limited by the equipment in the laboratory.
But he said that unlike the tractor beams in Star Trek, his technique would not work in out space, where there is a vacuum.
'On Earth, though, there are many possible applications, such as being able to move dangerous substances and microbes.'

Read more: 'Beam me up, Scotty!' Breakthrough as scientists move objects 5ft using tractor lasers | Mail Online

Fabulous!! I read things like this and wish I could live for another thousand years just to monitor science and all it's potential!

Fabulous!! I read things like this and wish I could live for another thousand years just to monitor science and all it's potential!

Yeah, its hard being born at the wrong time, regarding technology.

I get around that by reading science fiction. It's fiction today, fact in a number of years. It predicts the future of technology, and accurately.

Does anyone else see the flaw in the writer's piece? That is beaming molecules and moving objects with a tractor beam are two different things?

Does anyone else see the flaw in the writer's piece? That is beaming molecules and moving objects with a tractor beam are two different things?

Not really, if you can move 1 molecule with one tractor beam, you should only need 90000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 tractor beams to move the Millenium Falcon into the Death Stars docking bay.

Like I said they are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom