• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists Breed Glow in the Dark Rabbits

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Scientists create glow-in-the-dark bunnies

Bunny.jpg

Scientists' latest bright idea? Bunnies that glow in the dark.

A Turkish lab used a technique developed at the University of Hawaii to breed a colony of rabbits that glow bright green in the dark, in what they say is an attempt to advance research into treatments for life-threatening genetic diseases.

The bunnies were created by injecting fluorescent protein from jellyfish DNA into a female rabbit's embryos. When the rabbit gave birth to a litter of eight bunnies, two of them glowed in the dark.

Scientists wanted to see if genetic material introduced through injection would actually become part of the litter's natural makeup. They say the rabbits are perfectly healthy.

To see the bunnies in full glow, check out the video above.

Very cool... Even if it does almost cross the line into "mad science" territory. :lol:

Last edited:
I've also heard of bioluminescent grass and grass that changes color when stepped on. Last time I heard about the animals (years ago), I think it was via gene splicing and not merely protein injection.

I've also heard of bioluminescent grass and grass that changes color when stepped on. Last time I heard about the animals (years ago), I think it was via gene splicing and not merely protein injection.

Same thing, the gene splice codes for the protein.

We use the same thing (luminescence) with 'green' pigs in the study of therapies for eye trauma.We inject donor cells in order to track.

Same thing, the gene splice codes for the protein.

I've genetically modified organizisms before. From searching the data base for the proper splice, to the "gene gun", blotting, isolation and propagation.

From the OP quote:
injecting fluorescent protein from jellyfish DNA into a female rabbit's embryos

I don't get how that splices. We did our splicing (this was ~7 years ago) via a viral splice or the gene gun. Perhaps it's just the wording, as I also don't get how we gather protein from DNA directly.

I've genetically modified organizisms before. From searching the data base for the proper splice, to the "gene gun", blotting, isolation and propagation.

From the OP quote:

I don't get how that splices. We did our splicing (this was ~7 years ago) via a viral splice or the gene gun. Perhaps it's just the wording, as I also don't get how we gather protein from DNA directly.

Given the very limited explanation from the journalist, I am assuming they misinterpreted (unintentionally) the information. It's usually a synthetic DNA/RNA addition. Very little info given

Out of curiosity I read a little more from the original Hawaiian group and sounds like it is basically an injection in very early stage embryo that is taken up into the nucleus and transferred to each new cell, similar to BrdU labeling that easily passes through the nuclear envelop.

Very cool... Even if it does almost cross the line into "mad science" territory. :lol:

I'm sure that the rabbits' natural predators will appreciate following the neon glow to their next meal. On behalf of grateful owls everywhere, thank you, mad scientists!

I'm sure that the rabbits' natural predators will appreciate following the neon glow to their next meal. On behalf of grateful owls everywhere, thank you, mad scientists!

Glow in the dark rabbits probably wouldn't do so well in the wild.

On the bright side though, a human version of the treatment would probably sell like hotcakes (granted that it didn't require being implanted at the embryonic stage of development).

Can you imagine how something like that would impact the rave scene? :lamo

Nocturnal predation just lost it's ninja coolness.

On the bright side though, a human version of the treatment would probably sell like hotcakes (granted that it didn't require being implanted at the embryonic stage of development).

Can you imagine how something like that would impact the rave scene? :lamo

It is already there, granted very expensive, hard to get and not that healthy - think CAT-scan, same principle.

On the bright side though

3809838+_d41ebe3c5301f6d62668a863aad4ebf5.png

It is already there, granted very expensive, hard to get and not that healthy - think CAT-scan, same principle.

Awesome. :mrgreen:

How is it accomplished, and do you have any links? I'm honestly kind of curious to read up on it.

Awesome. :mrgreen: How is it accomplished, and do you have any links? I'm honestly kind of curious to read up on it.
In the case of CAT scan you "see" a barium isotope but has a very short half-life. But there are dyes used that are absorbed by cells that emit at different color ranges. However, these colors, like the bunny above, require a very bright light (for these bunnies blue light and special green filter). You can get this filter in a glasses form. Tomorrow, I'll check to see were we got our dye for a trial run and add some links. So, yes it is there albeit out of reach for ravers.

Here is where we get our glowing pigs: NSRRC | Home

It has some links for more info

Heh, should be easy to track the culprit - glowing scat!

Back
Top Bottom