• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists are one step closer to detecting gravitational waves from space

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Scientists are one step closer to detecting gravitational waves from space

The LISA Pathfinder mission has a big breakthrough....

CcdC7XdW0AA7wUW.jpg

Simpleχity;1065945795 said:

If we can detect the waves, we could move to the next step of creating them.
Creating an inverse phase gravity wave, would be, well anti gravity.

I haven't heard anything about this technology being used to create the inverse, but I suppose it is possible.

This will mostly be used as a way to view the sky and particularly look into areas that are very hard for other telescopes to see, like the regions around black holes. But it is very exciting technology.

Gravity waves are a product of all matter already.

I haven't heard anything about this technology being used to create the inverse, but I suppose it is possible.

This will mostly be used as a way to view the sky and particularly look into areas that are very hard for other telescopes to see, like the regions around black holes. But it is very exciting technology.
If gravity is a wave, it may be possible to generate an alternate wave 180 degrees out of phase,
and cancel gravity.

If gravity is a wave, it may be possible to generate an alternate wave 180 degrees out of phase,
and cancel gravity.

Only if it was also equal in magnitude. Which is a problem when you're talking about the gravity of planetary-scale objects!

Only if it was also equal in magnitude. Which is a problem when you're talking about the gravity of planetary-scale objects!
We will not know, until we understand it better!

We will not know, until we understand it better!

Certainly, but it fits with the wave logic you're attempting to apply here.

The other problem I foresee with inverse gravity waves: you have to build the device that creates them out of matter, which sends out its own gravity waves anyway because, well, it's matter.

Certainly, but it fits with the wave logic you're attempting to apply here.

The other problem I foresee with inverse gravity waves: you have to build the device that creates them out of matter, which sends out its own gravity waves anyway because, well, it's matter.
We are just spectating, until we have a better understanding of what gravity is.
if it is a wave of some sort, the wave equations should apply.
think about a quarter wave plate for gravity?

We are just spectating, until we have a better understanding of what gravity is.
if it is a wave of some sort, the wave equations should apply.
think about a quarter wave plate for gravity?

I'm trying to picture the physical outcome of polarized gravity and my brain is melting.

I'm trying to picture the physical outcome of polarized gravity and my brain is melting.
If we can treat the gravity as waves, many possibilities emerge.
I was actually thinking of the anti-reflective properties of the 1/4 wave plate,
upon thinking about it, the 1/2 wave plate would do what I was thinking of,
the reflected waves would be 180 degrees out of phase with the incoming waves,
creating a gravity shadow.

and cancel gravity.

Keep in mind that the phenomenon they're detecting is not responsible for what we know as gravity - ie, the gravitational "force" that we feel on earth. Gravity is just curvature of spacetime. What they're detecting are ripples in spacetime. Traveling fluctuations in the curvature of spacetime (emanating from a mass undergoing some kind of acceleration). The gravitational effect we feel on earth is just a static well of spacetime, not an emanating ripple.

So, the kind of anti-gravity you're thinking of isn't a matter of sending out ripples of the appropriate waveform; it's about "flattening" a region that is curved.

Didn't this already occur a couple months back? Am I thinking of something else having to do with gravitational waves?

Didn't this already occur a couple months back? Am I thinking of something else having to do with gravitational waves?

Like a year ago there was a big announcement that they had detected gravitational waves. But further analysis ruled it out as a false positive. Something about space dust in the milky way interfering.

Controlling gravity will change humanity for ever.

How the hell can one detect gravity waves if there is no gravity. Gravity is a myth.

??

Ah well ok.

I will repeat

A force brings you back to earth. It's gravity.

And you're correct. If there was no gravity, one could not detect gravity waves. Since scientists did detect gravity waves, we can assume gravity exists.

A force brings you back to earth. It's gravity.

And you're correct. If there was no gravity, one could not detect gravity waves. Since scientists did detect gravity waves, we can assume gravity exists.

if gravity was a force then there is something definitly miss, because it is in conflict with other 'physical laws'

Furthermore, your 'logic' is nothing more then circular, so it is of no use.

There are no gravity waves, because there is no gravity.

Let me put it another way, proof to me gravity exist and I believe there are gravity waves.

You can't do that.

if gravity was a force then there is something definitly miss, because it is in conflict with other 'physical laws'
No, it isn't. You keep making **** up like this without proving it. And then you demand other people prove their points to you. Prove there is a conflict.

Furthermore, your 'logic' is nothing more then circular, so it is of no use.
Funny, you say that, and then say...

There are no gravity waves, because there is no gravity.
Circular.

Let me put it another way, proof to me gravity exist and I believe there are gravity waves.

You can't do that.

1) All objects with mass have an attraction. Jump, you come back down. This is obvious. Force established to exist.
2) The force of this attraction is a direct result of the mass of the two objects. More massive objects have a greater pull. That's why, in a vacuum, the feather hits the ground at the same time as a bowling ball. This establishes the nature of the force. (Being dependent on mass)
3) Motion of planetary bodies proves that Einstein has the correct equations. (Newton was close, he was just missing Relativity)
4) Relativity is proven correct by empirical tests using atomic clocks

Back
Top Bottom