• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientific American - 2019 - what to expect...

Media_Truth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A great article by Scientific American about Climate Change, and what to expect in 2019.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/major-missions-will-probe-the-changing-climate-in-2019/

As urgency grows around the need for stronger climate action, so does demand for a deeper understanding of how the planet is already changing—and what to expect in the coming decades.

Climate scientists have published study after groundbreaking study in the past year. They’ve investigated the ways climate change has influenced extreme weather events, including everything from Hurricane Florence to record-breaking heat in Europe. They’ve documented accelerating ice loss in Greenland, new melting spots in Antarctica and alarming losses of Arctic sea ice. They’ve investigated changes in enormous ocean currents and major atmospheric patterns.

A great article by Scientific American about Climate Change, and what to expect in 2019.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/major-missions-will-probe-the-changing-climate-in-2019/

As urgency grows around the need for stronger climate action, so does demand for a deeper understanding of how the planet is already changing—and what to expect in the coming decades.

Climate scientists have published study after groundbreaking study in the past year. They’ve investigated the ways climate change has influenced extreme weather events, including everything from Hurricane Florence to record-breaking heat in Europe. They’ve documented accelerating ice loss in Greenland, new melting spots in Antarctica and alarming losses of Arctic sea ice. They’ve investigated changes in enormous ocean currents and major atmospheric patterns.
Why decades? Tell me how the environment is going to change this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have been watching this happen for many years and pointing it out on occasion to those interested, I have also dealt with many, many "deniers" as they are called which has led me to the conclusion that it no longer matters regardless. If they are correct then we have nothing to worry about and if I am correct there is nothing we can do about it anymore. Now that the Methane and Albedo tipping points have been crossed it is basically a slow motion disaster movie and we are just in the audience now. Time to buckle up for the ride.....I am just glad I will be dead before it really gets bad.

Heard it all before. Wake me up when any of this crap they say actually happens.
...or Until September Ends.

ClimateRecap.jpg

Extreme weather events are no more common now that they have been for decades. Even the droughts in California appear to be a regression to the mean when historical patterns are examined.

Strong tornadoes are much less common in the US. There wasn't a single one in 2018, the first time in recorded history that has happened.

The low level of warming increase that we have seen for the last 20 years appears to be continuing. Perhaps before raising the alarm bells over global warming you should wait until there is a significant amount of global warming.

They should change the name of that magazine to "Scientismic American".*

-----------------------------------
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Just more BS. When scientists become advocates, advocacy is presented as science.

Why decades? Tell me how the environment is going to change this year.

I guess you didn't read the article...

Extreme event attribution has been a rapidly growing field since the first attribution studies were published 15 years ago. Recently, scientists have been able to link a wide variety of weather events to climate change, including the devastating Hurricanes Harvey, Maria and Irma. They’ve also connected extreme heat, floods, droughts and other events around the world to rising temperatures.

Extreme event attribution has been a rapidly growing field since the first attribution studies were published 15 years ago. Recently, scientists have been able to link a wide variety of weather events to climate change, including the devastating Hurricanes Harvey, Maria and Irma. They’ve also connected extreme heat, floods, droughts and other events around the world to rising temperatures.

All those alleged "links" have been shown to be bogus.

How does that answer my question.
Show me something that can be measured today and again in jan 2020 and tell me what the new measurement is going to be. If they could do that it would go a long way toward convincing me they know what they are talking about.

Heard it all before. Wake me up when any of this crap they say actually happens.
...or Until September Ends.

View attachment 67247891

My question is, are those actually things said by climate scientists or are they things said by well meaning but ignorant activists, or even worse, reporters who know nothing about science and either through ignorance or through a desire for sensationalist headlines report incorrectly?

Extreme weather events are no more common now that they have been for decades. Even the droughts in California appear to be a regression to the mean when historical patterns are examined.

Strong tornadoes are much less common in the US. There wasn't a single one in 2018, the first time in recorded history that has happened.

The low level of warming increase that we have seen for the last 20 years appears to be continuing. Perhaps before raising the alarm bells over global warming you should wait until there is a significant amount of global warming.

They should change the name of that magazine to "Scientismic American".*

-----------------------------------
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Could you please link to a study or studies that say current trends are a repeat to what has been seen in the past.

How does that answer my question.
Show me something that can be measured today and again in jan 2020 and tell me what the new measurement is going to be. If they could do that it would go a long way toward convincing me they know what they are talking about.

There are obvious trends with minor variations. Your question can only be answered statistically. But I think you know that.

The forest fires.

Remember when we were told that wildfires would increase due to global warming? Never mind.

[FONT=&quot]This paper was just published in the Royal Society Biological Sciences journal. The takeaways:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Global area burned appears to have overall declined over past decades, and there is increasing evidence that there is less fire in the global landscape today than centuries ago.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Global trends in wildfire and its impacts: perceptions versus realities in a changing world[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
wildfire-occurence-720x249.jpg
Figure 2. Wildfire occurrence (a) and corresponding area burnt (b) in the European Mediterranean region for the period 1980–2010. Source: San-Miguel-Ayanz et al. [37].
[/FONT]

Abstract[FONT=&quot]Wildfire has been an important process affecting the Earth’s surface and atmosphere for over 350 million years and human societies have coexisted with fire since their emergence. Yet many consider wildfire as an accelerating problem, with widely held perceptions both in the media and scientific papers of increasing fire occurrence, severity and resulting losses. However, important exceptions aside, the quantitative evidence available does not support these perceived overall trends.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instead, global area burned appears to have overall declined over past decades, and there is increasing evidence that there is less fire in the global landscape today than centuries ago. Regarding fire severity, limited data are available. For the western USA, they indicate little change overall, and also that area burned at high severity has overall declined compared to pre-European settlement. Direct fatalities from fire and economic losses also show no clear trends over the past three decades. Trends in indirect impacts, such as health problems from smoke or disruption to social functioning, remain insufficiently quantified to be examined. Global predictions for increased fire under a warming climate highlight the already urgent need for a more sustainable coexistence with fire. The data evaluation presented here aims to contribute to this by reducing misconceptions and facilitating a more informed understanding of the realities of global fire.This article is part of themed issue ‘The interaction of fire and mankind’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The paper: Global trends in wildfire and its impacts: perceptions versus realities in a changing world. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016 Jun 5;371(1696). pii: 20150345. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0345.
http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/1696/20150345

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Bloggers have more credibility than SA. SA is a for profit publication. No more credible than any other for profit media. In fact, tabloids are likely as credible.

My question is, are those actually things said by climate scientists or are they things said by well meaning but ignorant activists, or even worse, reporters who know nothing about science and either through ignorance or through a desire for sensationalist headlines report incorrectly?

The activists say these things. The scientists are very smart, ans use language that alludes to what the grant money is paid for them to show. I keep telling the AGW worshipers that scientists do not say what they are claimed to say, except a small handful of them who have become part of the agenda. I keep asking people to quote me the parts of the papers that say what is claimed, but nobody ever can.

Back
Top Bottom