• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Science is the God of a modern atheist

Valery

Reaction score
  1. They place it opposite from the actual God in discussion.
  2. They have significant faith in it.
  3. They think acquiring scientific knowledge is a goal in and of itself and they have no specific goal beyond it.
  4. Scientific knowledge gives their life meaning and gives them comfort at times of extreme stress the same way faith in God comforts a believer.
Prove me wrong.

3. They think acquiring scientific knowledge is a goal in and of itself and they have no specific goal beyond it.
  4. Scientific knowledge gives their life meaning and gives them comfort at times of extreme stress the same way faith in God comforts a believer.
Prove me wrong.
Science is one of the six religions in balance with Buddhism, I am, Hare Krishna, Islam and Christianity.

Prove me wrong.
Darwin was a prophet.

About Darwin the Bible says, "If anyone preach to you any other Gospel, let them be forever accursed."

Science is one of the six religions in balance with Buddhism, I am, Hare Krishna, Islam and Christianity.
There could be something missing from that sentence.. In balance with what? Science in balance with Christianity?

Prove me wrong.
1. Science is a process, God is a subject - they're not even in the same domain, let alone direct opposites.
2. No more (or less) faith than anyone else. We're all expressing "faith in science" when we do things like starting a car or following a recipe.
3. Personally acquiring knowledge (not necessarily "scientific" knowledge) can be a valid goal in itself, though I feel it generally improves a person anyway. Acquiring new knowledge as a species pretty much always has an indented purpose, even if it's a generic "to better understand the universe in which we live".
4. I don't think that's necessarily true, though I wouldn't claim to know exactly how any believer actually feels about their faith (or how atheists feel about "scientific" knowledge for that matter). Even if it was the case for anyone, I'm not convinced that would make science a god, merely something that had one similar effect.

Prove me wrong.

Your argument can be trivially disproven.

Atheists, by definition, do not believe in any god.
If science is a god, then atheists by definition, do not believe in it.
If an atheist believes in science, then science cannot be a god.
If science is a god that someone believes in, that person, by definition, cannot be an atheist.

QED

Prove me wrong.
Science is an approach to questions, not a deity. I think I just proved you wrong

They place it opposite from the actual God in discussion.

No, I don't. All the blather of the theist regarding science has nothing to do with the existence of a god or gods, and I always view the theists' mockery of science nothing more than a diversion from the burden of proof. You will find it is the theist that brings up science in these debates, not the atheist and the theist is usually desperate to discredit science in order to elevate belief in magic and superstition.

They have significant faith in it.

No, do not confuse 'confidence' with 'faith', as it is employed by the theist. Religious 'faith' is believing in dogma often based upon mythology for no good reason. Whether the atheist trusts the scientific community has little to do with the existence of a god or gods. You are trying to misrepresent science as some form of dogma and present atheists as just another group worshipping an idol.

They think acquiring scientific knowledge is a goal in and of itself and they have no specific goal beyond it.

I've never met an atheist who stated thus, but searching for the truth is to be commended, don't you think? After all, we don't want to live in a world riddled with superstition do we?

Scientific knowledge gives their life meaning and gives them comfort at times of extreme stress the same way faith in God comforts a believer.

Family and friends give my life meaning and science cannot provide comfort in times of stress in the way that human companionship does.

Prove me wrong.

I think I just did. You are employing a hasty generalisation in order to misrepresent atheism as a religion, with science as the creed. Surely you can do better?

Prove me wrong.

7062b77ab497fd5d6e18aa561e2a9eb2.jpg

Nipe. Science exists, gods not so much. Another vapid thread from Valery the one-trick pony.

What a load of hooey. Science describes the universe, it is not an act of faith, it is observable, replicable truth nothing more or less.

For the common man, especially those who incorporate their limited understanding of science into political arguments, the difference between "Science" and religion is negligible.

For these folks who understand little and can prove nothing, quoting the scientists is not different in any way from quoting prophets.

Prove me wrong.

1. Correct.
2. As we should.
3. Correct, that’s how humanity has advanced: curiosity.
4. Family probably does that

Why? What did you say that was problematic?

For the common man, especially those who incorporate their limited understanding of science into political arguments, the difference between "Science" and religion is negligible.

For these folks who understand little and can prove nothing, quoting the scientists is not different in any way from quoting prophets.

Except scientists have knowledge that prophets do not. So, a little different.

Prove me wrong.
Let's pretend this is true...I'd much rather believe in a "god" that moves with each new finding and corrects itself over an invisible being that is said to be flawless but is obviously very flawed (according to the writings of ancient sheepherders).

Ever been out to sea? You can easily observe that the Earth is round when out to sea.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Sure.
That's what kids always say at sea, "look, the earth is clearly round!" :sneaky:

Prove me wrong.
Can you please move to wherever it is your god lives and leave the earth to earthlings? It would be a much nicer place without your religious beliefs poisoning the atmosphere.

I'm an atheist and I think there are no gods. Science is not a god unless you in your infinite wisdom has made it one.

Religious rants accomplish nothing, prove me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom