• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schwarzenegger orders min wage for state workers

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Schwarzenegger orders min wage for state workers - Yahoo! News
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Thursday ordered about 200,000 state workers to be paid the federal minimum wage this month because the state Legislature has not passed a budget, but the state controller is refusing to comply.

Director Debbie Endsley sent the order in a letter to the state controller, who refused a similar order two years ago. The matter is tied up in the appellate courts, leading the controller to say he will abide by whatever final ruling emerges, which could be years down the road. He said he can't follow the order now due to technical and legal issues.

In a statement, Chiang said it was not possible with the state's current technology to pay some employees their full salaries and others minimum wage. He also said his office and the governor's have been working on a system upgrade, but it will not be ready until October 2012.

Schwarzenegger's order, if implemented, could cost the state billions of dollars because the action would violate employment law, Roper said. He cited the which he says entitles a worker to "double damages" if an employer cuts pay to minimum wage.

Part of me wants to say "great idea!" - but another part of me thinks it's ridiculous and they should serious go about things a different way.

Last edited:
Schwarzenegger orders min wage for state workers - Yahoo! News

Part of me wants to say "great idea!" - but another part of me thinks it's ridiculous and they should serious go about things a different way.

I say great idea as long as he counts himself as a state worker and lives the same kind of house a minimum wage worker would live in(kind of easy to take a pay cut if you live in the governors mansion and already a millionaire) . Hopefully he is not being a hypocrite and is including all state workers including himself and other politicians.

Last edited:
I say great idea as long as he counts himself as a state worker and lives the same kind of house a minimum wage worker would live in(kind of easy to take a pay cut if you live in the governors mansion and already a millionaire) . Hopefully he is not being a hypocrite and is including all state workers including himself and other politicians.

Except the part where the wage cut violates the law and will actually end up costing more money as a result.

Here's an easier solution which won't involve the technology... just don't pay them this month at all.

Here's an easier solution which won't involve the technology... just don't pay them this month at all.

That is also illegal.

That is also illegal.

Agreed - but it's an easier version of the illegal activity than trying to get the state's paroll system to change 200,000 workers pay rate to the minimum wage. Arnie could just shut down the government... if they're not working, no need to pay them, right?

Back
Top Bottom