• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schumer to force vote on Trump administration move to ease sanctions on Russian firms

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...rump-administration-move-to-ease-sanctions-on

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Sunday that he will force a vote on a resolution to disapprove of the Trump administration's decision to relax sanctions on companies connected to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, calling the move "wrongheaded."

Schumer will force the vote under the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act, which requires a simple majority to proceed to the resolution to disapprove. The announcement comes days after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin briefed House lawmakers on the decision to ease sanctions.
==================================
The recent lifting of sanctions against Oleg Deripaska smells like pay back for Manafort's back channel help on getting inside intel on the Mueller probe while at the same time helping to write down Manafort's $19M debt to this oligarch.

Mnuchin appeared before the House of Representatives, where a number of Democrats want the Trump administration to postpone lifting sanctions against the three firms.

In a statement issued before the meeting, Mnuchin said Oleg Deripaska would remain under U.S. sanctions, but the three companies he controlled — aluminum giant Rusal, its parent firm En+ and energy company EuroSIbEnergo — would not.

"They have committed to provide Treasury with an unprecedented level of transparency into their dealings to ensure that Deripaska does not reassert control," the statement read.

Mnuchin assured lawmakers that the Trump administration would keep a close watch on the firms, promising that if they failed to comply with the terms to end the sanctions, they would face "very real and swift consequences, including the reimposition of sanctions."

"One of the goals of sanctions is to change behavior, and the proposed delisting of companies that Deripaska will no longer control shows that sanctions can result in positive change," Mnuchin said.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-to-lift-sanctions-against-3-russian-companies/4737923.html

So...we have a situation in which sanctions have actually worked, though we are still going to keep an eye on things and will reimpose sanctions if necessary.

And Schumer thinks this is the wrong thing to do?

So...we have a situation in which sanctions have actually worked, though we are still going to keep an eye on things and will reimpose sanctions if necessary.

.... You are finally openly batting for the Russians. Guys, they ain't so bad. See?

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

.... You are finally openly batting for the Russians. Guys, they ain't so bad. See?

Tell me...what is the point of having sanctions?

Tell me...what is the point of having sanctions?
Probably punish them for interfering in our affairs, annexing Crimea, South Ossetia, inserting spies into organizations like the NRA, etc.

Probably punish them for interfering in our affairs, annexing Crimea, South Ossetia, inserting spies into organizations like the NRA, etc.

No. The purpose of sanctions is to change behavior.

Why do you want to weaponize sanctions?

Which of those behaviors have we changed?

Which of those behaviors have we changed?

What behaviors are you talking about?

The sanctions talked about in this thread were enacted to change the behavior of the companies that were targeted. They changed their behavior. The sanctions did their job. They are no longer needed.

What behaviors are you talking about?

The sanctions talked about in this thread were enacted to change the behavior of the companies that were targeted. They changed their behavior. The sanctions did their job. They are no longer needed.
Well, you said the sanctions were meant to curve behavior. I cited the specific behavior. You say it has been curved.

How? What are they no longer doing?

Well, you said the sanctions were meant to curve behavior. I cited the specific behavior. You say it has been curved.

How? What are they no longer doing?

"curve behavior"??? What on earth are you talking about?

You know what...this thread isn't all that long yet. Go back to the beginning...read all of my posts...get back with me. We'll talk when you actually know what we are talking about.

The sanctions talked about in this thread were enacted to change the behavior of the companies that were targeted. They changed their behavior.

Please elaborate on what behavior was changed and how?

I already did. See post #2 in this thread.
Please elaborate on what behavior was changed and how?

Lol, he hasn't elaborated on any specific behavior that was meant to be curved, but he is sure the sanctions have worked. I bet this guy runs a private multimillion dollar company on his time away from DP.

I already did. See post #2 in this thread.

Here's post #2. I read it 4 times and also don't see the specific behaviors that were changed.

So why don't you answer the question? What specific behaviors were changed and/or curved, and how?

Here's post #2. I read it 4 times and also don't see the specific behaviors that were changed.

So why don't you answer the question? What specific behaviors were changed and/or curved, and how?
Lol, he's not very advanced at this debate thing. He doesn't realize the other adults in the room can't be fooled as easily as he wishes they could be.

Cut him some slack.

Sanctions are parts of our arsenal and I'd argue they have been weaponized by presidents since the founding of the term.

What the hell is curved behavior?

I think the words you are all looking for is "curbed behavior"

And for those that are asking what was changed:

“En+, Rusal, and ESE were designated for sanctions solely because they were majority-owned or controlled by Deripaska. These entities are undergoing significant restructuring and governance changes that sever Deripaska’s control and significantly diminish his ownership,” the statement reads. “They have committed to provide Treasury with an unprecedented level of transparency into their dealings to ensure that Deripaska does not reassert control. As a result, these entities will no longer be designated for sanctions.”

Last edited:

???

Did you seriously NOT read the article I quoted?

"curbed"!!!

Thank you!!

Those guys constantly saying "curved" was driving me crazy.

Sanctions are parts of our arsenal and I'd argue they have been weaponized by presidents since the founding of the term.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump weaponizes sanctions...if a situation calls for it. But this situation isn't it...so he's not using it as a weapon. He's using it to encourage a change in behavior.

Oh they "committed" to something. And before this they wouldn't commit to anything?

Do tell us, in your words (not Mnuchin's) all about this transparency. Tell us what process has been set up to do what on what dates, and what are the milestones, and who in the US is managing it, and what Mnuchin plans to do if they aren't transparent, or how he plans to validate that what they provide to Treasury is accurate and honest?

Because we all know that they don't and never have lied, right?

Oh they "committed" to something. And before this they wouldn't commit to anything?

Do tell us, in your words (not Mnuchin's) all about this transparency. Tell us what process has been set up to do what on what dates, and what are the milestones, and who in the US is managing it, and what Mnuchin plans to do if they aren't transparent, or how he plans to validate that what they provide to Treasury is accurate and honest?

Because we all know that they don't and never have lied, right?

You believe the government that sanctions were required based on information you aren't privy to, but you don't believe the government that says sanctions are no longer required based on information you aren't privy to.

How Parisian of you.

You believe the government that sanctions were required based on information you aren't privy to, but you don't believe the government that says sanctions are no longer required based on information you aren't privy to.

How Parisian of you.

Thanks, but I'm not French. I'm American. Why are you bringing up Parisians?

I don't believe the government either way. Mnuchin is a Goldman Sachs man and a film producer. And he's talking about a corrupt Russian oligarch.

I wish I lived in the simple world of you Trump Fans, where Russian oligarchs are honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom