• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schumer says Dems won’t budge on Trump wall demand

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

hl-govt-shut-down-border-security-i-want-me-to-20570789.png

12/13/18
Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) on Thursday declared that Democrats will not provide any more funding for a border wall and are willing to wait until January, when a Democratic majority in the House will give them more leverage, to deal with the issue. “I want to be crystal clear. There will be no additional appropriations to pay for the border wall. It’s done,” Schumer declared on the Senate floor. Parts of the government will shut down after Dec. 21 if a new funding bill isn’t signed into law. The sticking point has been Trump’s demands for $5 billion in funding for his border wall. Schumer has since said he would back keeping funding at 2018 levels, which would provide about $1.3 billion for border fencing.

Trump declared during a televised exchange with Schumer and the likely next Speaker of the House, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), that he would accept responsibility for a shutdown. “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down,” Trump said at the White House meeting. The remarks dumbfounded Republicans, who felt Trump had given away valuable leverage to Democrats. Schumer argued that there is now no way for Trump to avoid blame for a shutdown after his comments Tuesday. “If we wind up with a shutdown, it will be entirely the president’s fault,” he said. “President Trump himself would not dispute that in the Oval Office Tuesday. He almost bragged that he would shut down the government.”

As you stated yourself so many times Mr. Trump, elections have consequences.

sbr121218dapr.jpg

Of course Democrats don't want the wall because they know it will work. In the areas where there is a substantial wall as opposed to corrugated metal and chicken wire, illegal crossings have been cut to a trickle. That walls work is well known. If they didn't, they wouldn't be around homes, businesses, research facilities, military bases, prisons, nuclear plants and, yes, nations. Nobody keeps using something that fails to perform its intended purpose. Democrats support illegal immigration. They want more of it. Big business supports it and wants more of it, too. The only people who don't want it are the majority of everyday Americans. Trump is only doing what the public wants.

Oh, and I'm happy to have my tax dollars go to the wall if that's what it takes. In the long run, it'll saves us hundreds of billions of dollars.

At least Schumer doesn't deny he doesn't give a damn about the USA or Americans, it is all about fighting against the President.

This is fairly simple. Illegal immigration is an issue the Republicans win. Healthcare is an issue Democrats win. Schumer has now agreed the top issue will be immigration for which the Democratic Party demands open borders, with the Republican President vowing to protect our borders.

This may be a very foolish gamble for Schumer and Pelosi to take for 2020 elections, but time will tell. If you want unlimited illegal immigration by anyone and to reward foreign criminals throwing rocks at law enforcement, vote Democratic. If not, vote Republican. Rather simple to understand.

At least Schumer doesn't deny he doesn't give a damn about the USA or Americans, it is all about fighting against the President.

Schumer offered to fund the wall in 2019 exactly as it was funded through 2018. The Trump administration has only spent 6% of the 2018 Congressional funds appropriated for the wall.

Of course they won't. They'd rather be just as immature as Trump so they can hurt Trump, without any regard or care that they hurt the country as well. All they seem to care about on this issue is hurting Trump, not governing.

Someone needs to be the adult in the room. It ain't gonna be Trump, and it ain't gonna be the Democratic Congressional Leadership, so who's it going to be?

Border security is one of the PRIMARY responsibilities of, and one of the main reasons why we even have, the Federal Government.

I get it, they have a large Progressive faction that is for open borders, or at the very minimum the lack of immigration enforcement that equates to open borders, like sanctuary cities and other pro-illegal alien actions.

Having a large faction of supporters that support a particular act, doesn't make that act the right thing to do, and why I say that someone needs to be the adult.

This is exactly what Trump wants, and what he needs to do to keep his base solid. It will be interesting seeing how this plays-out. I think it will work for Trump's base, so Trump will stick with it. Then it will come to who is willing to let the country suffer the most.

Of course Democrats don't want the wall because they know it will work. In the areas where there is a substantial wall as opposed to corrugated metal and chicken wire, illegal crossings have been cut to a trickle.

Just curious if you can cite some evidence for that. What is a 'substantial wall' and where do we have them, and what analysis/es have compared this wall structure with other barriers?

Thanks. I've been looking for some evidence based analysis of the need for the Great Wall of Trump and have come up empty so far.

That walls work is well known. If they didn't, they wouldn't be around homes, businesses, research facilities, military bases, prisons, nuclear plants and, yes, nations. Nobody keeps using something that fails to perform its intended purpose. Democrats support illegal immigration. They want more of it. Big business supports it and wants more of it, too. The only people who don't want it are the majority of everyday Americans. Trump is only doing what the public wants.

Oh, and I'm happy to have my tax dollars go to the wall if that's what it takes. In the long run, it'll saves us hundreds of billions of dollars.

Just thought I'd note that the GOP House hasn't funded Trump's full Great Wall $ demand, ever. The House failed twice to fund it this summer, so on what basis are you claiming that it's the Democrats' fault that Trump's Great Wall hasn't been fully funded?

Of course Democrats don't want the wall because they know it will work. In the areas where there is a substantial wall as opposed to corrugated metal and chicken wire, illegal crossings have been cut to a trickle. That walls work is well known. If they didn't, they wouldn't be around homes, businesses, research facilities, military bases, prisons, nuclear plants and, yes, nations. Nobody keeps using something that fails to perform its intended purpose. Democrats support illegal immigration. They want more of it. Big business supports it and wants more of it, too. The only people who don't want it are the majority of everyday Americans. Trump is only doing what the public wants.

just keep lying, that's all conservatives have. A collosal waste of money, the dumbest idea ever. But not surprising that conservatives would think it would work, they are so simple minded

Smartest thing for him to do is utilize discretionary spending and allocate 5-7 billion towards national security and just build the damn thing. Use the military...labor is paid for.

Of course they won't. They'd rather be just as immature as Trump so they can hurt Trump, without any regard or care that they hurt the country as well. All they seem to care about on this issue is hurting Trump, not governing.

Someone needs to be the adult in the room. It ain't gonna be Trump, and it ain't gonna be the Democratic Congressional Leadership, so who's it going to be?

Border security is one of the PRIMARY responsibilities of, and one of the main reasons why we even have, the Federal Government.

I get it, they have a large Progressive faction that is for open borders, or at the very minimum the lack of immigration enforcement that equates to open borders, like sanctuary cities and other pro-illegal alien actions.

Having a large faction of supporters that support a particular act, doesn't make that act the right thing to do, and why I say that someone needs to be the adult.
I like a fair amount of progressive and liberal positions, but the bolded is one that blows me away. I'm not sure how large or persistent the open borders crowd is, because leadership does not espouse open borders, at least publicly. But it is the one thing that embarrasses me about coming back to the Dem party.

Of course joining the GOP & Trump would embarrass me more, so I guess I lose in that department no matter what.

Schumer offered to fund the wall in 2019 exactly as it was funded through 2018. The Trump administration has only spent 6% of the 2018 Congressional funds appropriated for the wall.

The amount of the 2018 appropriations level for the wall will not be enough in 2019 to complete the wall, and once the Democrats take over the House, no further funding for the wall will EVER pass Congress, so this is the only remaining chance to get it done.

And, Trump/Cornyn/McConnell agreed to DACA protection reinstatement if Schumer would agree to fully fund the wall. In 2006 he voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

What changed that made him be against a wall/fence/etc. now? Trump, that's what.

Last edited:
I like a fair amount of progressive and liberal positions, but the bolded is one that blows me away. I'm not sure how large or persistent the open borders crowd is, because leadership does not espouse open borders, at least publicly. But it is the one thing that embarrasses me about coming back to the Dem party.

Of course joining the GOP & Trump would embarrass me more, so I guess I lose in that department no matter what.
Right now, I'm embarrassed of the whole bunch.

It's not the actual implementation of open borders, because that won't happen since it would lead to open rebellion in this country, but the institutionalizing of policies like sanctuary cities that have the same effect that concern me.

Post links to confirm that "Democrats support illegal immigration" and "big business supports it too". This should be interesting.

Unfortunately we don't get to approve what our tax dollars go to. So while you may be happy to not fear losing your job to a low skilled immigrant because of a wall, it isn't up to you. I'm sure there are people who don't want their tax dollars to pay for the war in Iraq, but they don't get a say in it.

Just curious if you can cite some evidence for that. What is a 'substantial wall' and where do we have them, and what analysis/es have compared this wall structure with other barriers?

Thanks. I've been looking for some evidence based analysis of the need for the Great Wall of Trump and have come up empty so far.

Just thought I'd note that the GOP House hasn't funded Trump's full Great Wall $ demand, ever. The House failed twice to fund it this summer, so on what basis are you claiming that it's the Democrats' fault that Trump's Great Wall hasn't been fully funded?
I think yours is a valid point.

There's a lot of reasons why many Americans don't want the wall, and that doesn't mean those same Americans don't want secure borders. What bothers this American, is I've seen no effort by either party or Congress to make a substantive & effective effort to secure the border without the wall. If it can be shown a wall is absolutely required to effectively control our border, I'd have no choice but to acquiesce & agree (though I can't stand the optics).

Walls do work to reduce illegal border crossings, but the majority of illegal immigration comes from visa overstays, not illegal border crossings, for which a wall is useless. The cost to gain ratio doesn't support the expense of a building wall. It's a bigger money pit than allowing a small minority of illegal immigrants to avoid paying taxes. This doesn't mean that illegal immigration is a good thing or that all democrats want illegal immigration: It means that the majority of democrats (and republicans if we're being honest) recognize that illegal immigration as it currently stands (at lows not seen in decades) is cheaper than building a wall. 'The public' who thinks that a wall will stop illegal immigration and save the country money is misinformed by propaganda designed to stoke fear.

I am a progressive, and I never saw anybody advocate for an open border. That seems to be a right wing boogy man. I also want to see what is meant by 'open border'. That can mean so many different things to so many different people that it's a term that can be abused for political purposes all too much..

Right now, I'm embarrassed of the whole bunch.

It's not the actual implementation of open borders, because that won't happen since it would lead to open rebellion in this country, but the institutionalizing of policies like sanctuary cities that have the same effect that concern me.
Well said, with the bolded. and in general, I agree.

But we've got to remember, just like with guns & the 2nd, there's some heavy con-law that takes place when the feds attempt to coerce states & municipal and other bodies to do their bidding. It's not quite as cut & dried as it appears on the surface.

Post links to confirm that "Democrats support illegal immigration" and "big business supports it too". This should be interesting.

Unfortunately we don't get to approve what our tax dollars go to. So while you may be happy to not fear losing your job to a low skilled immigrant because of a wall, it isn't up to you. I'm sure there are people who don't want their tax dollars to pay for the war in Iraq, but they don't get a say in it.

If democrats don't act upon an effective, immediate stop on illegal immigration, then it's obvious they support illegal immigration. :lol:

i see a convoluted way they could use the wall as a political tool, but it might not work and would still be a waste of money, so they should probably just stand in the way of it.

You will have to show me the dem not engaged in business doings that actually prosper from illegal immigration that is espousing open borders. In fact there are as many Republicans that fit that profile that are open borders proponents as dems. Corporate greed is a partisanship all its own.

Sounds like Schumer is trying to steal the responsibility for the shut down for the President. Actually, it was "Barry the Community Organizer" who said "elections have consequences". No one disagreed with him: We elected a Republican. Now there's a consequence......

hl-govt-shut-down-border-security-i-want-me-to-20570789.png

As you stated yourself so many times Mr. Trump, elections have consequences.

sbr121218dapr.jpg

I find it unsurprising that neither Schumer nor The Hill mention the issue of national security, which is the basis for Trump's position. National security, obviously, isn't much of a concern to either Nancy or Chucky.

No, that's not the basis for Trump's position, nor is any border wall actually a national security issue. How silly.

I am a progressive, and I never saw anybody advocate for an open border. That seems to be a right wing boogy man. I also want to see what is meant by 'open border'. That can mean so many different things to so many different people that it's a term that can be abused for political purposes all too much..
I think that's fair, Ramoss. So many terms are co-opted and corrupted for political use, and open-borders is one of them.

But as far as this wall stuff, why are we not mandating E-Verify firstly? It's already rolled-out, fully implemented, and free! Without that, how can I take the screaming for a 30B wall as anything but political posturing?

What I'd like to see before supporting Trump's $5 billion demand, and concluding that the $1.4B being offered, on top of last year's $1.4B on wall maintenance and upgrades is not sufficient, is something, anything, to indicate things like, 1) where will it go, 2) what will it buy, 3) why is it needed, 4) is Trump's plan that I cannot find the most cost effective option, and more.

You're calling Democrats irresponsible but the GOP leadership also failed to fund Trump's Great Wall. Why is that? Do the GOP want him to fail and that's their main goal?

Seriously, why should the country hear Trump demand his $5 billion and without any evidence or substantive case being made that I can find for this money agree that, Sure, of course Mr. President, you need that money NOW or we support you shutting down government? I can't even pretend to argue that case because I have no idea what I'd be arguing FOR except to do Trump's pulled from his fat rear end bidding. It doesn't help that Trump has been lying his ass off about what the $1.4B has accomplished on the border. In short, I don't trust Trump for anything, and I've seen no case made by anyone else for this money.

Back
Top Bottom