• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schumer: Courts ARE partisan, just not when Trump says so.

"Roberts makes deeply partisan decisions. Good on Roberts for standing up to Trump when he says the courts are partisan!"

All in the same tweet:

View attachment 67244854

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1065981195148804096

Sigh. President Trump has been doing his damndest to ACHIEVE an independent judiciary. Roberts was objecting to his opinion that our judiciary is far too partisan which most intellectually honest Americans know the President is right. Too bad Schumer can't see that. But oh well.

Yeah, he probably should have left the first paragraph out. I hate the Citizen’s United ruling but I don’t think it was partisan. I think they all ruled according to their own conscience and Constitutional interpretation. And yeah, Republicans are probably going to have more of those in common with each other than with Democrats and vice-versa, so often times SCOTUS rulings look partisan.

our judiciary is far too partisan which most intellectually honest Americans know

Half of those "intellectually honest" Americans believe the judiciary leans too far right.

Pure partisan swill.

Yeah, he probably should have left the first paragraph out. I hate the Citizen’s United ruling but I don’t think it was partisan. I think they all ruled according to their own conscience and Constitutional interpretation. And yeah, Republicans are probably going to have more of those in common with each other than with Democrats and vice-versa, so often times SCOTUS rulings look partisan.

What makes it partisan is that leftist judges tend to rewrite the law to reflect what they think it SHOULD say rather than what it actually says. And they don't believe in the concept that when the law is silent, so should the court be silent.

Conservative judges are far more likely to have a better sense of what the court is intended to be and what their job actually is. When judges are considered the last word of what the law has to be, we no longer have a representative republic but are ruled by a small, generally unelected and largely unaccountable oligarchy of partisan minded judges.

Because the court overall has tilted so far left, those on the left have been using the courts to their advantage to override existing law or make law when they, the leftists, have been unable to do so or it was politically dangerous to do so. And of course they will resist appointment of judges who won't accommodate them in that way.

Disclaimer: It is just as wrong for the far right to expect judges to make laws that THEY want to exist. President Trump seems to have a good handle on that though being neither partisan or ideologue. But he has done his best to appoint judges and justices who have pledged faithfulness to the Constitution and existing law and who do not see it as their role to change the law enacted by the people's elected representatives.

"Roberts makes deeply partisan decisions. Good on Roberts for standing up to Trump when he says the courts are partisan!"

All in the same tweet:

View attachment 67244854

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1065981195148804096

There's no doubt in my mind that we have a lot of partisan judges. We definitely have liberal and conservative judges who seem to rule in favor of their political ideology whether than what the Constitution actually states in black and white. They seem to find a phrase or a loop hole to rule whichever way even at times putting what they think is good for society above what the constitution itself states or is moot about.

Be that as it may, I am for an independent judiciary all the way. Even a partisan one is better than none or one who rules by the dictate of a president or political party. But long before Trump, probably due to all the partisan decisions handed down by the SCOTUS and our judicial system, only 37% of Americans have a great deal or a lot of confidence in the SCOTUS today.That confidence has been stuck in the 30's since 2006 and hasn't hit 50% or half of all Americans since 1988,

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1597/confidence-institutions.aspx

Our judges and judicial system may be independents, but few Americans have confidence in it. That lack of confidence was there long before Trump.

Back
Top Bottom