• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schumer apologizes for using offensive term to describe children with intellectual disabilities

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Story

This headlined CNN.com's political section as of this post. The issue:

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has apologized for calling children with intellectual disabilities "retarded" after receiving criticism for using the term, which is medically outdated and offensive to many

Note that my feelings on this have nothing to do with whether a democrat or republican said the word "retarded" - for the purposes of this post, you can pretend Trump said it. The situation itself indicate the fakeness of PC culture. Whether you call them retards or developmentally challenged, we wouldn't have them be our doctor or pilot. The usage of PC language doesn't indicate true respect.

This is stupid or I won’t say it.

Next.

Story

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has apologized for calling children with intellectual disabilities "retarded" after receiving criticism for using the term, which is medically outdated and offensive to many

Note that my feelings on this have nothing to do with whether a democrat or republican said the word "retarded" - for the purposes of this post, you can pretend Trump said it. The situation itself indicate the fakeness of PC culture. Whether you call them retards or developmentally challenged, we wouldn't have them be our doctor or pilot. The usage of PC language doesn't indicate true respect.
You're right that using PC language doesn't necessarily indicate respect. But intentionally using words that you know will offend others definitely indicates a lack of respect.

You're right that using PC language doesn't necessarily indicate respect. But intentionally using words that you know will offend others, definitely indicates a lack of respect.

At least until "Mentally Challenged" becomes the next bad word.

I would say there are lots of parents in this country that have kids that are mentally challenged. It's mature for him to apologize.

Many more have daughters…

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

Employing the challenged as a pejorative is low class scumbaggery. What have they ever done to hurt anyone? Why are they bad? They have less ability to fight back than most slandered groups. They're better people than the scum that tries to put them down, that's for sure.

Joe Biden made a disrespect comment, IMPEACH HIM!

Well, maybe not, at least he apologized, unlike ..........................

That's already a bad phrase. It's generally considered impolite in modern times to refer to people as being inferior in any way.

My point exactly. So whats the socially accepted word for today?

The problem with political correctness is: what's determined as offensive, who determines what's offensive, and who determines what language to use? We should focus this energy on more productive things than worrying whether someone gets offended.

The problem with political correctness is: what's determined as offensive, who determines what's offensive, and who determines what language to use? We should focus this energy on more productive things than worrying whether someone gets offended.

There's no doubt employing the challenged as a pejorative is offensive. It might take a real idiot a few minutes, but even they could see it.

The challenged never did anything wrong to you. They never hurt anyone. They're not bad. They shouldn't be used to mean bad.

Small children get this, right? You're a full grown adult? And you can't see it? Think back to elementary school. They didn't use words like pejorative but I'm pretty sure they explained this. No? Really?

Story

I gather from that post that you only respect doctors and pilots, plus that you have no respect for those who are intellectually challenged

It's always comical to me to watch conservatives complain about political correctness when they use their own politically correct terms and/or dog whistles as well.

And on a completely different topic, why would anyone have any issue with the phrase black lives matter?

This is just the progressive version of the War on Christmas.

There's no doubt employing the challenged as a pejorative is offensive. It might take a real idiot a few minutes, but even they could see it.

The challenged never did anything wrong to you. They never hurt anyone. They're not bad. They shouldn't be used to mean bad.

Small children get this, right? You're a full grown adult? And you can't see it? Think back to elementary school. They didn't use words like pejorative but I'm pretty sure they explained this. No? Really?

I'm not focused on the word retard. Think broader. Who defines what's offensive? I can think of a handful of political terminology used a pejorative and may be offensive to some, and nobody really cares. What's the difference?

I'm not focused on the word retard. Think broader. Who defines what's offensive? I can think of a handful of political terminology used a pejorative and may be offensive to some, and nobody really cares. What's the difference?
Well, you know what they say. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Individuals don't decide what is offensive. Logic decides what's offensive. In this case, logic dictates the act is offensive as it degrades the innocent. We can take things on a case by case basis and apply the same or similar logic. Bigotry is not a mysterious world of wonder.

Individuals don't decide what is offensive. Logic decides what's offensive. In this case, logic dictates the act is offensive as it degrades the innocent. We can take things on a case by case basis and apply the same or similar logic. Bigotry is not a mysterious world of wonder.
So people in the pre-1960's were less logical?

Meh. Language changes. What's considered offensive changes. Once can strive to be inoffensive while also doing "more productive things."

So people in the pre-1960's were less logical?

They had less understanding, less education that comes in many forms today. Misinformation easily leads sound logic to faulty conclusions. Is the use of racial slurs logically sound?

At least until "Mentally Challenged" becomes the next bad word.

^^
Lazy rehash of the "white people are victimized because they can't call black people the n-word" routine.

Can't make fun of developmentally disabled people anymore. Can't make fun of minorities anymore. Can't make fun of gay people anymore. Increasingly hard to make fun of trans people soon. Which group is the next intended victim of Trumpists?

You're only going to have to keep going for more and more vulnerable types. Maybe you can start mocking the Uighurs? Maybe children kidnapped and trafficked? After all, your big man does not like people who get captured....

Which is all a deservedly bitter of saying: wtf, why do you need to be able to punch down? How are you victimized by not being able to punch down without repercussion?

Back
Top Bottom