• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schools Nix Birthday Snacks

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Mason City Elementary Schools Nix Birthday Snacks

Mason City Elementary Schools Nix Birthday Snacks | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) - Elementary school students in Mason City will no longer celebrate their birthdays with snacks to share with the class. The Mason City Community School District has banned sweet treats - or even healthy ones - for birthday celebrations for kindergartner through sixth-grade.

School officials tell the Mason City Globe Gazette that the new policy is an effort to promote healthy habits, avoid allergic reactions, deter economic inequality and devote more time to learning.

In lieu of snacks, elementary birthday boys and girls will instead hear their names announced over the PA system, receive a school gift, sit with a friend during lunch or be designated the teacher's helper for the day.
The "deter economic inequality" made me :roll:, but...

...when I heard that the birthday kid could be teacher's pet and get assigned extra work, I got all excited. I was born too soon. :2dance:

Were the birthday kids supposed to bring the snacks? If not, I don't get the economic inequality thing (and damn it, on my birthday, I should be getting not giving).

I pretty much saw it run the gauntlet when I was still in public school. At first, each classroom got a cake for all the kids who had a birthday that month but the whole class shared; then it went to you got a free piece of cake in the cafeteria if it was your birthday week on Friday of that week, to the name on the PA and that was it.

Snack time itself became political in elementary school. At first, free lunch kids got free milk but got no free "snack" which was usually a couple cookies unless they paid for them while other kids could bring from home or buy their snack. It was then decided that it alienated kids who could not afford to bring or buy, so snack time was limited to milk only so kids couldn't see who was getting free lunch and who was paying (as if being skipped when the teacher collected the lunch/milk money wasn't verification of who was on free meals).

The "deter economic inequality" made me :roll:, but...

...when I heard that the birthday kid could be teacher's pet and get assigned extra work, I got all excited. I was born too soon. :2dance:

Well, the economic inequality is because little Billy might not be able to afford a nice big birthday cake, but little Susie can, and they don't want little Billy embarrassed.

Well, I feel for little Billy, but I was broker than a broke-dick dog when I was in school, and I turned out alright.

Well, the economic inequality is because little Billy might not be able to afford a nice big birthday cake, but little Susie can, and they don't want little Billy embarrassed.

Well, I feel for little Billy, but I was broker than a broke-dick dog when I was in school, and I turned out alright.

I can tell by you avatar :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom