• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

School uniforms

What is your position on School uniforms in Public schools?

• It should be up to the district - I see no issues with it.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Totally disagree - economic, social, or government impediment issue. [please post]

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • The parents should decide via election

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Not sure either way

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Fu_chick said:
LMAO. You you have kids? Have you ever been around teenagers? There are ALWAYS going to be cliches, people are ALWAYS going to know who the poor kids are (it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out), and there is ALWAYS going to be the "I like him but his gf found out and now she's spreading rumors about me" crap. If you think otherwise then you are sadly out of touch with reality.
Glue your ass back on and then answer the question.

vauge said:
What is your position on Public school systems requiring uniforms to attend?

I am not for uni-forms. That would suck to have to wear a uni-form.

Fantasea said:
A lot of "ifs".

Consider this. Uniforms would go a long way toward eliminating the distractions you mention, wouldn't they?

Here is a fact at my school: The dress code is NOT enforced unless the principle makes a statement every once in awhile. Let me ask you this. Why is allowing kids to vote for uniforms or not out of the question? you may say it isnt but my school district wouldnt let kids vote...instead they let every adult vote and that was it, and it didn't matter if they had kids or not...why not let kids vote? are we not "developed" enough to decide what is right? and I am insulted that not only did we not to get to vote but people who the issue doesnt concern voted....It affects the kids so they should vote. In short...if the dress code was actually enforced there would be no problem!

IndependentTexan said:
Here is a fact at my school: The dress code is NOT enforced unless the principle makes a statement every once in awhile. Let me ask you this. Why is allowing kids to vote for uniforms or not out of the question? you may say it isnt but my school district wouldnt let kids vote...instead they let every adult vote and that was it, and it didn't matter if they had kids or not...why not let kids vote? are we not "developed" enough to decide what is right? and I am insulted that not only did we not to get to vote but people who the issue doesnt concern voted....It affects the kids so they should vote. In short...if the dress code was actually enforced there would be no problem!

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

First of all, I'd like to say hello. Hello.

Second: School uniforms are NOT a restriction on clothing. School uniforms are symbols of young adults (or adults) who are receiving their education. The only reason to get rid of the uniform is if the surrounding area can't afford it. Even then, a makeshift uniform should be enforced. Even in literature, the most intelligent people walk around in long robes: Wizards. Why? They're studious.

The world has changed from the days of the toga, and for some reason, individuality has become an issue at the school. The harsh fact (for some to grasp) is that the school is a center of EDUMACATION. I mean...education. And NOTHING ELSE, except learning how to socialize with others.

It is a SAD fact that these days, the uniform has changed from a symbol of study to an enforcer of etiquette.

maybe. when i was in high school i would have hated a school uniform because i saw it as a way to limit my self expression. now, as a college student, working to become a teacher, i dont mind a uniform. why? becuase as a teacher i will be required to wear one anyway.

i do think the districts or the school system should decide, not the state. the ideal would be to have the parents to weigh in on the situation.

It all depends on the school itself. Uniforms symbolize conformity and discipline, whereas free dress symbolizes individuality. If extra discipline is needed, then hell go with the uniforms.

I am in total agreement with school uniforms. There is plenty of time to express individuality...from 3PM when school lets out till 7AM when it convenes again and then again all day saturday and all day sunday. If students are required to wear uniforms, then you eliminate all the time spent on comparing sneakers and designer jeans and put that time to what school is meant for-study. Also, the school uniform levels the field and eliminates blatant signs of classism in the classroom. Everyone, at least when they look at eachothers clothing, is the same. It creates an atmosphere of equality and discipline--and might I add that the lack of discipline is the real problem in our schools as it is.

i think that kids should be able to wear almost anything this excludes like tank tops, see though shirts, and other inappropriate clothing

we have the right to look like what we want to and i think uniforms are taking away our freedom of being ourselves

i think that in a private school it should be allowed though because that is a controlled environment and it should be organized

Grand_Debater said:
i think that kids should be able to wear almost anything this excludes like tank tops, see though shirts, and other inappropriate clothing

we have the right to look like what we want to and i think uniforms are taking away our freedom of being ourselves

i think that in a private school it should be allowed though because that is a controlled environment and it should be organized

Sure but when clothes become a symbol of status and anyone without a pair of shoes that costs at least $100 gets ousted from the popular circles I think it has become a little much. With a simple set of clothes a person can be judged, convicted, and sentenced without them ever saying a thing. People my age never think that they do this but I enjoy watching people and we do it all the time.

I wore uniforms in middle school and yes I hated them very very much but I now do not have to wear uniforms and ,while it is more comfortable to do what I want, I think it is a little insane to be judged like kids in my high school get judged.

Fantasea said:
What are some of the reasons that students don't learn? Distractions, for one. Teen aged boys ogling girls who expose every possible inch of skin and lingerie aren't developing an understanding of math or science. Girls who spend every waking minute struggling to squeeze out every last bit of glamor in order to attract attention are not concentrating on the lesson of the day.

'Gang' or 'clique' related garb only exacerbates the problem by further stealing attention away from studies.

Those who lean toward the outlandish and 'freaky' styles in clothing, makeup, and grooming all but guarantee that their distraction to others will effect themselves adversely as well.

Almost every school (both public and private) in Australia has a uniform, and believe me - the skanks, the Goths, the geeks and the homies still manage to personalise their appearance just enough for all that to happen, anyway.

I think that certain restrictions outlined in a school dress code are fine, but I think that uniforms take away from a young person's desire, even need, to express their individuality, and to be viewed as an individual.

I think parents should discuss with their children what is and isn't acceptable to wear to school.

If other students are "distracted" by what another student is wearing...well, that's their own fault. They have the choice to either ogle the other student or to mentally block it and pay attention to the lesson at hand.

I think there should be uniforms. Why? because it gets the student used to perfessional clothing and makes them used to the type of clothing one will wear in the buisness world.

Che said:
I think there should be uniforms. Why? because it gets the student used to perfessional clothing and makes them used to the type of clothing one will wear in the buisness world.

Most people do not become businessmen. So whats your reason again?

I think there shouldn't be restriction beyond what is reasonable.
But some are restricted for very stupid reasons, a middle school in my local district, banned kids from wearing white shirts because they were deemed "racist", that is plain stupidity.

Last edited:
Comrade Brian said:

But some are restricted for very stupid reasons, a middle school in my local district, banned kids from wearing white shirts because they were deemed "racist", that is plain stupidity.
Darn white shirts monopolizing the world.....:mrgreen:

Yeah that is probably the best description of stupidity that I have ever heard! What shirts were they required to wear? Rainbow???? hahahahahahaha

yeah, that is a bit crazy!

Comrade Brian said:

It's matter of being professional and taking your school work seriously. In a society that we have today it never hurts to strive towards being the best even with the little things like clothing.

yeah, that is a bit crazy!
Yes, I know. I believe it was because a kid was beaten up for wearing one, and the kid who beat him up thought it was racist... shows human stupidity has no boundries.
It's matter of being professional and taking your school work seriously. In a society that we have today it never hurts to strive towards being the best even with the little things like clothing.
Often times these uniforms are expensive... unless provided by the school. But wearing uniforms I think does very little.

Comrade Brian said:
Often times these uniforms are expensive...

There are salvation Armies and thrift stores everywhere. There's a box of ties that cost less then 5 dollars and its not hard to find pants and a shirt either

Comrade Brian said:

Ninjaz always tryin' to keep the white man down.

The students in my school where uniforms. It really levels the economic playing field. Uniforms also give teacher more time to teach, rather than worrying about exposed belly buttons, bra straps and homie pants all the time.

hipsterdufus said:
homie pants .

Werd?
Dem Ninjaz wearin' da pantz?

hipsterdufus said:
:confused: I'm sorry to say that I don't get that one at all.

BUT.....but you're the hipsterdufus, you must know the lingo he speaks in...else we do not and he is lost to the crowds of ramblers....you are our interpreter in this matter!!!!!! Hipsterdufus, save us from the hippness of this newly uncovered language!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom