• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

School uniforms

What is your position on School uniforms in Public schools?

• It should be up to the district - I see no issues with it.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Totally disagree - economic, social, or government impediment issue. [please post]

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • The parents should decide via election

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Not sure either way

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Uniforms shouldn't be forced onto students. What are we, the USSR, reforming those who express themselves individually to be the same as everyone else?

liberal1 said:
Uniforms shouldn't be forced onto students. What are we, the USSR, reforming those who express themselves individually to be the same as everyone else?
Some people believe that taxpayers are entitled to get better value for the national average of about ten grand per annum, per head spent trying to get some knowledge pumped into the heads of those students whose chief interest seems to be sneaking a peek at female genitalia or checking out the butt crack on the guys with droopy drawers.

These same folks rightly believe there is a time and a place for everything. School during school hours being for learning.

They understand that 'expressive' individuals constitute an unwarranted distraction. The classroom is not the place for them to perform their act.

Uniforms solve the problem for those who want to learn as well as those who do not.

I once seen a video that was dated back to the forties that showed kids wearing uniforms to school but it was hard to make out because the narroration was in German

MeChMAN said:
I once seen a video that was dated back to the forties that showed kids wearing uniforms to school but it was hard to make out because the narroration was in German
Cute, but not very imaginative.

Perhaps uniforms at the school you attended would have produced students whose verbal and spelling skills are better than they apparently are. ;)

Why not try a little reading on the subject?

http://www.naesp.org/ContentLoad.do?contentId=266

liberal1 said:
Many schools who enforce this, enforce equality. In some schools, not everyone can afford the nice clothes, to they issue them. And this takes care of some judegement that comes up through clothes. Such as kids picking on each other and fights breaking out for dressing differently.

School uniforms suck,man. If my school had to have school uniforms the entire school would erupt in fights. I like my jeans and loose T-shirt any ways, so school uniforms can be burned for all I care.

KrazyPrince said:
School uniforms suck,man. If my school had to have school uniforms the entire school would erupt in fights. I like my jeans and loose T-shirt any ways, so school uniforms can be burned for all I care.
I'll tell you what sucks. What sucks is this.

In the US, an average of about ten thousand dollars a year, in taxpayer funds, is spent trying to educate each public school student. The way many of them show up, and the attitude, speech, and conduct that goes with the clothes, is a distraction which interferes with the learning process. Ultimately this results in lesser achievement overall together with higher drop out rates.

What also sucks is also the inability to conduct a polite discussion.

The responsibility of all students is to get the best education possible so that they are able to move up the economic ladder and prosper. Too many waste the opportunity that is bought and paid for them by others.

Later, when they find it difficult to make a success of their lives, they seek to blame 'the system'. Even at that point they are still too stupid to realize that the fault lies within them.

Uniforms are just a way to compensate for the lack of respect, obedience, and discipline needed to maximize the effect of the classroom experience.

Studies have shown that the introduction of uniforms results in reduced discipline problems together with improved attendance and grades.

Dress for the occasion at school and however you wish on your own time. It pays off for you and the taxpayer, too.

Fantasea said:
I'll tell you what sucks. What sucks is this.

In the US, an average of about ten thousand dollars a year, in taxpayer funds, is spent trying to educate each public school student. The way many of them show up, and the attitude, speech, and conduct that goes with the clothes, is a distraction which interferes with the learning process. Ultimately this results in lesser achievement overall together with higher drop out rates.

What also sucks is also the inability to conduct a polite discussion.

The responsibility of all students is to get the best education possible so that they are able to move up the economic ladder and prosper. Too many waste the opportunity that is bought and paid for them by others.

Later, when they find it difficult to make a success of their lives, they seek to blame 'the system'. Even at that point they are still too stupid to realize that the fault lies within them.

Uniforms are just a way to compensate for the lack of respect, obedience, and discipline needed to maximize the effect of the classroom experience.

Studies have shown that the introduction of uniforms results in reduced discipline problems together with improved attendance and grades.

Dress for the occasion at school and however you wish on your own time. It pays off for you and the taxpayer, too.
Amen. My friend and I were discussing the pros and cons of each. The pros outweight the cons. If you dont like it, you can change schools with a probable cause. (I think thats how it works) so it is still primarily your choice. Deal with it, or change schools.

Fantasea said:
Cute, but not very imaginative.

Perhaps uniforms at the school you attended would have produced students whose verbal and spelling skills are better than they apparently are. ;)

Why not try a little reading on the subject?

http://www.naesp.org/ContentLoad.do?contentId=266

Why don't the parents work on getting their kids to pay attention in school instead of turning their children into mindless drones. I didn't wear uniforms in school and it didn't affect my attention. If kids wore uniforms to school you will still get the same results you do now. This will not solve the problem. If a child has a learning problem then 9 times out of 10 it is the parents neglegence!

MeChMAN said:
Why don't the parents work on getting their kids to pay attention in school instead of turning their children into mindless drones. I didn't wear uniforms in school and it didn't affect my attention. If kids wore uniforms to school you will still get the same results you do now. This will not solve the problem. If a child has a learning problem then 9 times out of 10 it is the parents neglegence!
That's a great idea, in theory. Unfortunately parents who ignore their parental responsibilities cannot be shot; although executing a few might wake up the rest. So school uniforms is the logical alternative.

I once read a dissertation, the subject of which was along the lines that there are uneducated or undereducated parents who consider it an embarrassment if their children become better educated than themselves.

Go figure.

Fantasea said:
That's a great idea, in theory. Unfortunately parents who ignore their parental responsibilities cannot be shot; although executing a few might wake up the rest. So school uniforms is the logical alternative.

I once read a dissertation, the subject of which was along the lines that there are uneducated or undereducated parents who consider it an embarrassment if their children become better educated than themselves.

Go figure.

My father never finished the 8th grade and the main goal for him was for me to graduate and become a more educated man than he is. Any parent that thinks it is an embarassment for their child to be smarter is selfish and shouldn't have kids. Anyways I still don't think that kids should wear uniforms as any type of alternative to good old fashioned parenting. We can't show our children freedom when we take it away! I understand that obscene gestures on clothing should not be appropriate but to make kids dress the same is too much. We're already trying to get them to think the same and now we are trying to make them look the same? :screwy

MeChMAN said:
My father never finished the 8th grade and the main goal for him was for me to graduate and become a more educated man than he is.
Consider yourself fortunate to have been born into a family headed by a wise man.

Any parent that thinks it is an embarassment for their child to be smarter is selfish and shouldn't have kids.
It is unfortunate that your feelings are not a fact of life.

Anyways I still don't think that kids should wear uniforms as any type of alternative to good old fashioned parenting. We can't show our children freedom when we take it away!

There are 8,760 hours in a year. A school year runs about 1,080 hours. This is about 12% of the time. Is it too great a sacrifice for students to make in exchange for the ten dollars an hour of tax money that is spent trying to teach them to read, to write, to think, to prepare the person to be able to earn more than the $5.15 an hour minimum wage?

After all, for 88% of the time, the student can engage in even the most extreme expressions of fashion.

You know, it never occurred to me until now how rediculous it is to spend ten dollars an hour to try to educate simpletons who are content to earn minimum wage if they can find someone to hire them.

I understand that obscene gestures on clothing should not be appropriate but to make kids dress the same is too much. We're already trying to get them to think the same and now we are trying to make them look the same? :screwy
All we're trying to do is to help young people to become independently self-sufficient and be able to succeed, economically, in a world that becomes more complicated every day.

The problem is that too many kids have a very short horizon and can't see beyond the next weekend. They wake up one morning and realize that they have entered a stage of life called adulthood. Those who are not prepared suffer.

Fantasea said:
MeChMAN said:
Consider yourself fortunate to have been born into a family headed by a wise man.

It is unfortunate that your feelings are not a fact of life.

There are 8,760 hours in a year. A school year runs about 1,080 hours. This is about 12% of the time. Is it too great a sacrifice for students to make in exchange for the ten dollars an hour of tax money that is spent trying to teach them to read, to write, to think, to prepare the person to be able to earn more than the $5.15 an hour minimum wage?

After all, for 88% of the time, the student can engage in even the most extreme expressions of fashion.

You know, it never occurred to me until now how rediculous it is to spend ten dollars an hour to try to educate simpletons who are content to earn minimum wage if they can find someone to hire them.

All we're trying to do is to help young people to become independently self-sufficient and be able to succeed, economically, in a world that becomes more complicated every day.

The problem is that too many kids have a very short horizon and can't see beyond the next weekend. They wake up one morning and realize that they have entered a stage of life called adulthood. Those who are not prepared suffer.

The answer, though, is not school uniforms. Making us get rid of our individualism would cause us to not want to go to school, to not want to learn. Taking away freedoms is not a good wat to stir up suport for anything.

anomaly said:
Fantasea said:
The answer, though, is not school uniforms. Making us get rid of our individualism would cause us to not want to go to school, to not want to learn. Taking away freedoms is not a good wat to stir up suport for anything.
Individualism among school kids looks like this.

The girls struggle to reveal as much skin as possible and make sure that the boys get a good look at their lingerie. They apply warpaint with a touch so delicate as to make a Sioux brave jealous. They punch holes wherever they can and fill them up with scrap metal.

The boys start from the top and work down. Hairdos that defy belief in shape and phony color. Ears drilled and filled to make the girls look like pikers. Shirts unworthy of the name carrying whatever degree of obscenity they can get away with. Pants that with the aid of a couple of poles could be pitched as tents, yet can't quite cover the butt crack. For years none have worn shoes and if they ever did, would not know how to tie them. Just a succession of athletic shoes, even though they are not athletes, in which they shuffle to and fro as penguins slithering along on ice.

This is the individuality to which you allude.

Since we can't shoot irresponsible parents and you oppose uniforms on juvenile grounds, perhaps there is an alternative that you would like to propose.

how do you think the students that pass pass, just by sittin' in the classroom for hours at a time, no by havin' a like entertainment, if the one who gets beat is stupid enough to get in the fight in the first place, then lets have some enjoyment.

Fantasea, what I get from you is a parental feelin' or a very big suck-up. I'm a student in a very big school ( 950-1,000, to be exact) for this small, very much unknownst county, and if you even say school uniforms about 70% can talk to you for a good while. Most of the things you have about how the kids dress is not real true.

KrazyPrince said:
how do you think the students that pass pass, just by sittin' in the classroom for hours at a time, no by havin' a like entertainment, if the one who gets beat is stupid enough to get in the fight in the first place, then lets have some enjoyment.
If your intent was for me to find some humor in your post, I confess that I have not yet located it.

However, you have, perhaps unknowingly, identified two problems.

First, passing is not the key to success. Excelling is. At the current rate of intelligent progress in the world of business, those who just pass will be relegated to the lower rungs of the economic ladder. Those who excel in school can climb to the top. You may mock them, but by about age 25, the nerds are the ones who end up where most kids would like to be. But hey, it's your choice, isn't it?

Second, is it not a colossal waste of human and economic resources to spend about a hundred thousand dollars from K TO 10 on a kid who the system motivates to drop out at age sixteen and the only future he has is a minimum wage job?

KrazyPrince said:
Fantasea, what I get from you is a parental feelin' or a very big suck-up. I'm a student in a very big school ( 950-1,000, to be exact) for this small, very much unknownst county, and if you even say school uniforms about 70% can talk to you for a good while. Most of the things you have about how the kids dress is not real true.
I find it comforting that you resounded to my post twice. Once yesterday; once today. That indicates that you found there something of interest.

Perhaps you are too close to notice, or maybe you assume the same affectations, poses, and attitudes. From my observations, I know that my description of popular juvenile modes of dress and adornment are correct.

From your observations,HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm a STUDENT that has been in over a half a dozen scool systems. From MY observations (and there is a good deal of it), what I said earlier is very true.Oh, and I wasn't being humoring.

I think there should be some kind of dress code. There are some who like to dress on the fringe. :eek:

Obi-Wan said:
I think there should be some kind of dress code. There are some who like to dress on the fringe. :eek:

I think students should wear what they want as long as it's not anti-authority towards the teachers. :cool:

Sorry guys, it was fun while it lasted.

Obi-wan and The Thing are one in the same person.

vauge said:
Sorry guys, it was fun while it lasted.

Obi-wan !nd The Thing are one in the same person.

This was an incorrect asumption on my behalf. Same IP address, but I researched it more.

Nice homepages btw guys. You should link to it in your signatures, and thank you for the link to us.

Welcome to Debate Politics!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom