• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School supply lists

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm curious what parents on here think about their school supply lists every year. I've heard parents complain that they have to buy stuff that they think their kids never use (dry erase markers are usually the main culprit). If you've got your kids' list already, what's on it? What are your thoughts on past year's lists? Any complaints or suggestions for teachers like me who make up those lists? :)

I'm curious what parents on here think about their school supply lists every year. I've heard parents complain that they have to buy stuff that they think their kids never use (dry erase markers are usually the main culprit). If you've got your kids' list already, what's on it? What are your thoughts on past year's lists? Any complaints or suggestions for teachers like me who make up those lists? :)

Smartphone. Crack pipe. Lots of lighters. Condoms.

I am heading to the store later today. If I remember I will grab a selection of the lists to see what is on them. We usually stock up on things when they are on basic give away sales like crayons, colored pencils, glue and magic markers and then pass the extra to the teacher or the church. Private school isn't as bad on the supplies list since they mainly prefer to make us pay them for them at substantial markup as part of our fees.

My kids are too old for supply lists now. They have just basic stuff like pen, paper and folders.

I remember being upset when they were younger, though, for having to spend so much money on stuff like hand sanitizer and paper towels, when I was already having to spend a fortune on normal stuff like crayons and scissors. It's hard coming up with stuff like that when you have 2 or 3 kids, and you are having to clothe them and buy them new shoes and get them a nice new haircut, etc, and then buy school supplies and all the extra school supplies that come with having small kids in school.

I know why you ask for it - just doesn't make it any less frustrating. Glad I'm past it now.

I hate the hand sanitizer too. I never use it in my classroom.

I hate the hand sanitizer too. I never use it in my classroom.

I always hated having to buy crap like scissors, rulers, etc. crap that the kid may use once or twice in the entire year.

Don't nobody buy most of that crap that's on the list. I mean, when I was in school, my mom would get basic things like folders, pens, and notebooks, but none of this 5 three ring binders and all of that other crap.

Don't nobody buy most of that crap that's on the list. I mean, when I was in school, my mom would get basic things like folders, pens, and notebooks, but none of this 5 three ring binders and all of that other crap.

yeah..**** that ****. the kids never use half of the crap that are on those lists anyway. whatever happened to the "good old days" where all you needed was some paper and #2 pencils?

yeah..**** that ****. the kids never use half of the crap that are on those lists anyway. whatever happened to the "good old days" where all you needed was some paper and #2 pencils?

Personally I prefer pens as after a while the graphite smudges with pencils. Started using those a lot in middle school. :mrgreen:

Personally I prefer pens as after a while the graphite smudges with pencils. Started using those a lot in middle school.

I wish we gave schools enough funding that they provided paper, pens, pencils, crayons, etc - what the kids need to do their assignments. Especially things that aren't used that often - scissors, rulers, protractors, etc - classrooms should have a supply that kids use and return when needed.

But guess I'm dreaming about funding our schools enough.

I wish we gave schools enough funding that they provided paper, pens, pencils, crayons, etc - what the kids need to do their assignments. Especially things that aren't used that often - scissors, rulers, protractors, etc - classrooms should have a supply that kids use and return when needed.

But guess I'm dreaming about funding our schools enough.

I'm fine with parents buying the supplies, but the schools need to come up with realistic lists.

Here is the first grade list from a local public school I picked up at Walmart:

3 boxes 24 count crayons, 1 pair blunt scissors, 6 Glue sticks*, 3 large erasers, 2 plastic pocket folders with 3 metal prongs, 2 pack each addition/subtraction cards 0-18 one for school & 1 for home; 1 non-rolling book bag; 6 dry erase markers*, 2 boxes tissues, 1 container anti-bacterial wipes, 1 bottle equate or soft soap antibacterial soap; 2 pump bottles hand sanitizer--GermX, Equate, or Purell, 3 packs #2 pencils*; 1 box ziplock bags (gallon, quart or sandwich) 1 pencil box. The items with * are to be shared among all class members and additional purchases of glue sticks and crayons should be expected later in the year.

Well - depends on which grade they're in.

My older kids - several of their classes often have "5" binder's on the list - those things are not cheap.
Also - some of the supplies are NOT used. Instead, the list is printed way too soon - and then later I find that the kids bring it home unopened and it sat in their backpack (etc) to the point where it wasn't returnable. (obviously this isn't all on the teachers). But when I spring money - I expect the teacher to be considerate enough to actually make use of the items.

I've also had to buy headphones and other such things for computer class, as well - which is a major peeve of mine because they don't last like they need to.

For the younger kids - the sheer quantity is mind boggling as are some of the items on the lists - and some things, I just don't know what they are.

This is my daughter's:

wide ruled, loose leaf paper
#2 pencils
colored pencils
washable markers
pens (black and red ink)
pkg dry erase markers

The above thing are entirely sensible - a bit more than what we'd have to supply when I was a kid, but they're still basics. Buy in bulk - makes it cheapers. The only thing for teacher use are the pens. Usually tissues / soap is divided based on gender. I opt not to send those at the beginning of the year- I send those later on, at random times, when I find coupons.

Other items aren't so plain and simple:

red lined notebook (one of those items that I don't know what it is - and will just randomly guess)
pkg of 3-prong, pocket folders (the teacher, no doubt, has a specific concept in mind for the use of these. Odds are - I may or may not be able to find *exactly* what she wants me to get - and it will either work, or not work. If what I find isn't exactly what she wants - she will supply her own and send mine back (maybe) - and I will look at what she sends back and say 'I saw nothing like this at Dollar General/Walmart when I went out. One time in the past the only ones I could find were heavy-paper material. She wanted plastic. . . go figure.)

I do not like having to hunt down specialty items - when my kids were in kindergarden I was supposed to supply our own 'kinder-care sleeping mat' - I had absolutely no clue what on earth that was and all the stores I went to didn't have one. I sent a small sleeping bag. *shrug* - what did they think was going to happen? In fact - in all these years, I never saw those little folding foam-mats sold *anywhere* - ever . . . except for Mardel's (a Christian Bookstore in the city). On top of that - the one I did see on sale was $40.00

I prefer it when teachers say "materials cost is ___" - I send the money, they buy the goods - and they can get whatever they want and they're happy.

Adding: for the older kids - schedules change. In two separate years for both my older kids I had to buy items and return others - etc etc - because the school placed them in a different class after day 2 or 4. I now wait 1 week to send in supplies for them - I don't care what people think. It's a headache otherwise. Also - the pre-printed lists: if I wait until the teacher sends a list I can be more certain to not buy stuff they won't use.

I prefer to send things on the first day - but the schools and teachers made decisions that kept that from being wise.

Personally I prefer pens as after a while the graphite smudges with pencils. Started using those a lot in middle school. :mrgreen:

they write smoother, as well

My kids are now grown, but after a couple years of seeing many items never used I stopped buying things like protactors, etc.

My other gripe was when they specified the brand of something. Most common was that crayons were supposed to be Crayola brand only. Sorry, if I'm footing the bill then I'm specifying the brand (and cost). Sometimes I sent Crayola, sometimes I sent something else.

My kids are now grown, but after a couple years of seeing many items never used I stopped buying things like protactors, etc.

My other gripe was when they specified the brand of something. Most common was that crayons were supposed to be Crayola brand only. Sorry, if I'm footing the bill then I'm specifying the brand (and cost). Sometimes I sent Crayola, sometimes I sent something else.

yes - that's just being too particular. It shouldn't matter.

I would prefer Ticonderoga pencils because they're by far the most well-made pencils. I get so frustrated when I sharpen those cheapo pencils (that everyone brings) and the lead keeps breaking so that a full-length pencil ends up being maybe half its size after I finally get an unbroken tip. But I understand that they're more expensive and not everyone wants to spend that money. That's why I buy a bunch of them instead.

Have you seen some of the newer schools being built? If money is an issue, maybe instead of building places that look like palaces from King Arthur, they should build "plain Jane" looking buildings and re-invest more into supplies.

Just a thought.

I would prefer Ticonderoga pencils because they're by far the most well-made pencils. I get so frustrated when I sharpen those cheapo pencils (that everyone brings) and the lead keeps breaking so that a full-length pencil ends up being maybe half its size after I finally get an unbroken tip. But I understand that they're more expensive and not everyone wants to spend that money. That's why I buy a bunch of them instead.

I always buy Ticonderoga in bulk, and #1, not #2. You can't find #1s anywhere, so I buy them from Office Max online.

I always buy Ticonderoga in bulk, and #1, not #2. You can't find #1s anywhere, so I buy them from Office Max online.

Black Ticonderoga, FTW!!!!!

I went to Walmart the other day and they had their bright yellow cardboard bins full of perfectly pointy crayons and everything else. I get a little tingle up my spine everytime I see new school supplies. :)

Back
Top Bottom