• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School principal: 'Harry Potter' and 'Lord of the Rings' cause brain damage

In a word... dip****.

This is just as stupid as that insane Christian pastor that said that Pokemon cards are "demonic" and teach kids how to do "witchcraft" and "summon demons".

This is just as stupid as that insane Christian pastor that said that Pokemon cards are "demonic" and teach kids how to do "witchcraft" and "summon demons".

I think that pastor would have gone berserk if he discovered the shin megima tensai series.

I read the article, unless I missed something I did not see any mention of a study, seems to be her opinion, seems rather silly to me. People have been reading fiction for a couple hundred years, I would think we would have some conclusive proof by now if there was any truth to it. Why would the LA Times even print something such as that?

Teachers/school officials like that need to be removed from their position and never allowed back in schools again.

Whiting also criticized books by authors George R.R. Martin and Terry Pratchett, claiming they "contain deeply insensitive and addictive material which I am certain encourages difficult behaviour in children."

I swear, the greatest concentration of stupidity amongst human groups has got to be in school administration.

"Buying sensational books is like feeding your child with spoons of added sugar," Whiting wrote, "heaps of it, and when the child becomes addicted it will seek more and more, which if related to books, fills the bank vaults of those who write un-sensitive books for young children!"

We can't have children enjoying reading, Mr. School Administrator.

:doh

The Principal is from a tiny private school in England that he founded himself.

Why did this appear in the Los Angeles times and why should we care?

Might as well be talking about home school or some religious private school for all it matters. :shrug:

Whiting also criticized books by authors George R.R. Martin and Terry Pratchett, claiming they "contain deeply insensitive and addictive material which I am certain encourages difficult behaviour in children."

I swear, the greatest concentration of stupidity amongst human groups has got to be in school administration.

"Buying sensational books is like feeding your child with spoons of added sugar," Whiting wrote, "heaps of it, and when the child becomes addicted it will seek more and more, which if related to books, fills the bank vaults of those who write un-sensitive books for young children!"

We can't have children enjoying reading, Mr. School Administrator.

What he's pushing is raising the standard for what our young people are reading and in SOME cases, he's right. Overall, I think the guy's a tool, but even in the midst of his dumbassery, there is a grain of truth. I think back to the books I read as a child (Kipling, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Jack Lojndon, etc) and I compare them to some of the crap that kids are reading these days. The bar has definitely been lowered, but what this twit is pushing is taking that idea and sending it plummeting over a cliff of stupid.

Reminds me of the old days and Dungeons & Dragons.

I so miss playing D&D. All the friends that I played with moved to different states so can't play it anymore. Plan on introducing my son to it soon though so my wife, son and I will be playing again. :)

Back
Top Bottom