• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
DENAIR - 13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was asked told to take it down. A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property. "In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. "No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing."

Racial tension? What kind of crap is that? If the American flag creates racial tension we have a far more serious problem in this country.

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike - KTXL

That's a retarded preventative measure. Likely because the bureaucracy was less than bright and they didn't want to take any flak for anything.

DENAIR - 13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was asked told to take it down. A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property. "In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. "No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing."

Racial tension? What kind of crap is that? If the American flag creates racial tension we have a far more serious problem in this country.

And the idiots who made this decision are teaching our children...

Be afraid...be very afraid.

How foolish - can somebody please explain to me how our flag could be construed as "offensive"?

As far as racial tensions - just another fear card being tossed out to appease God knows who at this point. What a shame that any race would be portrayed as so insensitive to our flag that the display would cause a problem for them. I find that insulting to any implied race.

This happened to a high school student who displayed our flag on his truck. He was told to remove it by some clown working on the school grounds but subsequently the student was allowed to continue to fly our flag.

Last edited:
How foolish - can somebody please explain to me how our flag could be construed as "offensive"?

As far as racial tensions - just another fear card being tossed out to appease God knows who at this point. What a shame that any race would be portrayed as so insensitive to our flag that the display would cause a problem for them. I find that insulting to any implied race.

This happened to a high school student who displayed our flag on his truck. He was told to remove it by some clown working on the school grounds and subsequently the student was allowed to continue to fly our flag.

It has been used as a hate sign by people before. How they thought the liberals and ethnicks wouldnt be able to tell if it was being used as one or not is beyond me. Foaming rabid liberals...

It has been used as a hate sign by people before. How they thought the liberals and ethnicks wouldnt be able to tell if it was being used as one or not is beyond me. Foaming rabid liberals...

Just where in the United States is the American Flag, properly flown, used as a hate sign?

Have some bumper stickers made, about a thousand, with the flag on one side, and NASA grade glue on the other. Put one on the school officials rear bumper. If he removes it, put another one on....

Just where in the United States is the American Flag, properly flown, used as a hate sign?

That's just the issue some people can't tell. Nobody wakes up and says "Hey I think Im going to be a hater today and use the flag as a hate sign" They just end up doing something culturally stupid.

Well... I dunno. I think they secretly know. But hide behind ze purity of ze flag.

*context of video may not be accurate*

Which "race" is going to be pissed off by an american flag? how the hell is displaying a US flag in the US going to increase "racial tension"? All I can figure is that there must be a bunch of muslim kids at his school. If anyone gets pissed off at seeing the American flag in America, they are more than welcome to GTFO.

The idea that the symbol of this nation is, or could be, considered offensive to someone 'in this country', is patently ridiculous.

If you're here, you're here for a reason. You were born here, raised here, immigrated here for work or security or freedom or whatever.

How in the world can the symbol of the country you live in, offend you?

IF it does, then you really don't belong here, and you should feel free to get the **** out. Now.

And don't give me any **** about 'freedom of expression'. It does not infringe upon YOUR freedom of expression if I fly an american flag. You're being offended and making me take the flag down infringes on MY freedom of expression.

I give that a six on the meter. The outrage merchants are slipping. They need to find some elementary school that wouldn't let the kids sing the words to Silent Night quick.

All I can figure is that there must be a bunch of muslim kids at his school. If anyone gets pissed off at seeing the American flag in America, they are more than welcome to GTFO.

I never thought wed arrive to the root of the issue so fast.

It's incidents like the one in the video that make people like this. Kids used to be able to take pocketknives to school. Now they can get expelled for wielding a push pin threateningly.
They don't get that the american flag isnt offensive. Only when it's used offensively. Whoever made the decision suffered a lack of brains.

I am wondering if they recite the pledge of allegiance at assemblies, school board meetings, etc. at that school....

I give that a six on the meter. The outrage merchants are slipping. They need to find some elementary school that wouldn't let the kids sing the words to Silent Night quick.

So you don't see a problem with some kids in schools who believe the American flag is a source of racial tension?

That does'nt bother you?

So you don't see a problem with some kids in schools who believe the American flag is a source of racial tension?

That does'nt bother you?

Dude, no matter how much Barbasol you put on the top of that molehill, no matter how lovingly you sculpt it, it's still not Everest.

Last edited:
Which "race" is going to be pissed off by an american flag? how the hell is displaying a US flag in the US going to increase "racial tension"? All I can figure is that there must be a bunch of muslim kids at his school. If anyone gets pissed off at seeing the American flag in America, they are more than welcome to GTFO.

Really? You just went and assumed it was Muslims?

Oh you. Never change.

To me, this story screams the standard "zero tolerance means zero thinking" problem that has taken over our schools. I remember way back in high school, cheap laser pointers were classified as a weapon. Bringing a weapon to school means immediate expulsion! *sigh*

Last edited:
Dude, no matter how much Barbasol you put on the top of that molehill, no matter how lovingly you sculpt it, it's still not Everest.

You didn't answer the question.

Really? You just went and assumed it was Muslims?

Oh you. Never change.

To me, this story screams the standard "zero tolerance means zero thinking" problem that has taken over our schools. I remember way back in high school, cheap laser pointers were classified as a weapon. Bringing a weapon to school means immediate expulsion! *sigh*

dude, they specifically said "racial tensions" what other group of people in the US could possibly be "offended" by the US flag?

blacks?
jews?
hispanics?
whites?

please enlighten me as to which "race" is most likely to be offended or, more likely, which "race" the school officials are the most afraid of "insulting" if it is not muslims.

dude, they specifically said "racial tensions" what other group of people in the US could possibly be "offended" by the US flag?

blacks?
jews?
hispanics?
whites?

please enlighten me as to which "race" is most likely to be offended or, more likely, which "race" the school officials are the most afraid of "insulting" if it is not muslims.

I would bet 500 dollars it was Hispanics

how the hell is displaying a US flag in the US going to increase "racial tension"?
LOL - on the flip side, how is banning the flag - telling students they can't fly the flag because it might offend others - going to reduce racial tension???

I mean, assuming you're neutral, and you know you're going to piss one side off either way, it makes sense to allow what every other school in the nation allows.

That is, assuming you're neutral.

Back
Top Bottom