• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School Discipline Reform

Here in Los Angeles, students were being suspended by the droves for defiance.

Why?

Because students by the droves were being defiant.

So President Obama's Attorney General said that -- on pain of losing federal money -- defiant students should no longer be suspended.

Instead, the teacher and the defiant student should have a conference in which each one pours out his/her feelings. (I kid you not!)

The Los Angeles school district then proudly announced: There are almost no more suspensions in our schools.

Naïve citizens hearing this news naturally thought: "Wow! What a great job our schools must be doing. Since there are no more suspensions, all the students now must be acting like angels."

Thank you, President Trump, for your courage in reversing President Obama's policy. Of course, the Democratic president in January, 2021, will reinstate the policy.

~ Plans are in the works to rollback Obama's disastrous school discipline guidelines. When a kid can call his/her teach a *%)&*!# and throw a chair without repercussions, it's game over.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/675556455/devos-to-rescind-obama-era-guidance-on-school-discipline

Here in Los Angeles, students were being suspended by the droves for defiance.

Why?

Because students by the droves were being defiant.

So President Obama's Attorney General said that -- on pain of losing federal money -- defiant students should no longer be suspended.

Instead, the teacher and the defiant student should have a conference in which each one pours out his/her feelings. (I kid you not!)

The Los Angeles school district then proudly announced: There are almost no more suspensions in our schools.

Naïve citizens hearing this news naturally thought: "Wow! What a great job our schools must be doing. Since there are no more suspensions, all the students now must be acting like angels."

Thank you, President Trump, for your courage in reversing President Obama's policy. Of course, the Democratic president in January, 2021, will reinstate the policy.

Both of these are laughably false. Students who are physically dangerous or blatantly insubordinate have always been able to be suspended as far as the federal government is concerned (what a particular school district does is not related to federal guidelines.

So many new accounts, so many supposed Trump supporters, so many lies.

Children need discipline. Some more than others. Teachers need discipline. Some more than others. A threat of physical discipline can be an effective dynamic.
/

I will tell you a story about physical discipline. I taught in the public schools for 33 years and became what was labeled as a MASTER TEACHER who trained student teachers. I stressed classroom management from minute one explaining to my student teachers that if you cannot control a class - you cannot teach anyone in that class anything of value. And I repeated something that was told to me when I took a class in college on classroom management.

On the first day of the class, the prof said he was going to teach us a foolproof method which would give us a problem free classroom environment for all of our teaching careers. We were all secondary school teachers which means middle and high school and many perked up when they heard that. The prof said that in the first week of class wait until the largest and meanest looking kid in the class did something out of line which required correction. Call him up to the front of the class with the blackboard behind him. You grab the kid around the throat and shove him as high and as hard as you can loudly against the blackboard and in your best Marine drill instructor imitation loudly tell him if he ever does anything like that again you will thrash him within an inch of his miserable life.

One of two things will happen:
1- the kid will be so shocked that he will comply and all your problems are solved, or
2- the kid will attack you and you may be thrashed within an inch of your life unless you can physically defeat him

The college prof asked how many of us were comfortable with that method of classroom control.

Not a single hand was raised.

He surveyed the room and nodded his head in recognition and then quietly said... "well, I guess we will have to find some other methods of discipline that do not involve violence".

Something to think about.

~ Plans are in the works to rollback Obama's disastrous school discipline guidelines. When a kid can call his/her teach a *%)&*!# and throw a chair without repercussions, it's game over.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/675556455/devos-to-rescind-obama-era-guidance-on-school-discipline

Here's a supporting article that they use:

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/17/6775...s-schools-but-large-racial-gaps-remain?live=1

Two very interesting statistics. The first is that the suspension rate for whites and Hispanics is very similar, 6.1 and 6.3%. One would think racism against Hispanics would push that 6.3 figure up a bit higher. The conclusion here is that Hispanics only slightly out-misbehave whites in school. Hispanics might even be considered better behaved than whites when adjusted for poverty rate.

The story changes radically for blacks, who have the same suspension rate as disabled students - 12.8%. If racism is the cause, one would think that Hispanics would split the difference and have a 9.4% suspension rate, but this isn't the case.

Therefore, the conclusion for the disparity must be the actual behavior of black students.

Both of these are laughably false. Students who are physically dangerous or blatantly insubordinate have always been able to be suspended as far as the federal government is concerned (what a particular school district does is not related to federal guidelines.

So many new accounts, so many supposed Trump supporters, so many lies.

Thank you for injecting some reality. How anyone could believe this nonsense is beyond me.

Ignoring the hyperbole, that makes a lot of sense. Obviously. Having a 10 minute meeting that can sort things out for both parties makes sense financially and socially. Did you spend even 10 seconds thinking about what you wrote?

Something to think about.

I have read that more and more university students ARE thinking about the horrific disciplinary problems, especially in large cities.

And they have made the very wise decision not to go into the teaching profession but into other professions, where they do not have to spend all day being a de factor police officer trying to preserve order and their own physical well-being.

I applaud their decision, and I hope that other intelligent and conscientious university students follow their example.

I have read that more and more university students ARE thinking about the horrific disciplinary problems, especially in large cities.

And they have made the very wise decision not to go into the teaching profession but into other professions, where they do not have to spend all day being a de factor police officer trying to preserve order and their own physical well-being.

I applaud their decision, and I hope that other intelligent and conscientious university students follow their example.

It does take a special person with special skills to do the job well.

Here's a supporting article that they use:

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/17/6775...s-schools-but-large-racial-gaps-remain?live=1

Two very interesting statistics. The first is that the suspension rate for whites and Hispanics is very similar, 6.1 and 6.3%. One would think racism against Hispanics would push that 6.3 figure up a bit higher. The conclusion here is that Hispanics only slightly out-misbehave whites in school. Hispanics might even be considered better behaved than whites when adjusted for poverty rate.

The story changes radically for blacks, who have the same suspension rate as disabled students - 12.8%. If racism is the cause, one would think that Hispanics would split the difference and have a 9.4% suspension rate, but this isn't the case.

Therefore, the conclusion for the disparity must be the actual behavior of black students.

Why would one think that?

Back
Top Bottom