• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School asks cop to lose the uniform when dropping off his daughter

He shouldn't have been asked. The uniform told the school that he was a law enforcement officer (pretty sure they would have known anyway). They are a school. They should know the laws. Heck, they should stand the hell up to complaining parents and tell them that it is ignorant to be "concerned" about a police officer, in uniform, wearing a gun, even at a school.

No, they're perfectly right being concerned. No sensible parent wants uniformed state thugs--who could easily abuse their authority--anywhere near his/her kids. Furthermore, in AZ, there's a fairly good chance that the "cop" doubles as a drug cartel operative.

Since 2004 an officer of the law in good standing has a carry right anywhere in U.S. jurisdiction.

Byte me.

As a real Libertarian (as opposed to the typical anti-freedom konservative falsely claiming to be one), I recognize that the RKBA applies to individuals, not to the state. Police forces are financed via taxation, a form of theft forced on the public.

There's nothing wrong w/private security, but state (tax) sponsored forces are incompatible w/a free society.

AN individual carries a gun, no problem. But if he does it on my dime, I either have the right to disarm him when I please, or he needs to turn in his badge and go f--- himself.

No, they're perfectly right being concerned. No sensible parent wants uniformed state thugs--who could easily abuse their authority--anywhere near his/her kids. Furthermore, in AZ, there's a fairly good chance that the "cop" doubles as a drug cartel operative.

Most sensible parents, such as myself, have no issue at all with uniformed or armed cops being at a school. Sensible parents teach their children not to fear police officers. You don't have to be afraid of police to understand that some police do not act as they should.

Heck, my son goes to a school of almost completely military kids. There are uniformed parents (granted, not armed but still government uniformed) at our school all the time.

Most sensible parents, such as myself, have no issue at all with uniformed or armed cops being at a school. Sensible parents teach their children not to fear police officers. You don't have to be afraid of police to understand that some police do not act as they should.

True, kids don't have to fear cops (who typically have little or no accountability to their communities) to know that they deserve no respect.

OTOH, kids should be taught to stand up for one's rights, i. e. the notion that police forces are supposed to work for the people (even if they don't see it that way), and are therefore expected to disarm and/or remove their uniforms when called upon to do so by the communities around them.

Heck, my son goes to a school of almost completely military kids. There are uniformed parents (granted, not armed but still government uniformed) at our school all the time.

Excellent. You should ask your kids what other military kids' parents are saying abou how the state (i. e. gov't) treats them. . .

10News - VA cutting funding for post-traumatic stress disorder service dogs - 10News.com - News

Daughters say patient safety compromised at Dallas VA Hospital | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

True, kids don't have to fear cops (who typically have little or no accountability to their communities) to know that they deserve no respect.

OTOH, kids should be taught to stand up for one's rights, i. e. the notion that police forces are supposed to work for the people (even if they don't see it that way), and are therefore expected to disarm and/or remove their uniforms when called upon to do so by the communities around them.

Excellent. You should ask your kids what other military kids' parents are saying abou how the state (i. e. gov't) treats them. . .

10News - VA cutting funding for post-traumatic stress disorder service dogs - 10News.com - News

Daughters say patient safety compromised at Dallas VA Hospital | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Police should not be expected to disarm or remove their uniforms just because a few people are uncomfortable. That puts a lot of people at risk because some are simply idiots.

And the state funding VA or anything else has absolutely nothing to do with police being armed/in uniform at a school. Plus, I know from experience that many of the problems that the VA and/or military hospitals face, including budgeting problems, are also faced by many others. At least the VA is trying (and I have experience with both military hospitals and VA benefits).

Police should not be expected to disarm or remove their uniforms just because a few people are uncomfortable.

Wrong. In a free society, they damn well better disarm when asked, or else you have problems like this. . .

Boy 'Recklessly' Tasered By Police Officer During Career Day, Lawsuit Says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZocBw-Pms

That puts a lot of people at risk because some are simply idiots.

NOPE. People are put at risk when cops operate with zero accountability (as seen above), which is typically how they operate.

It's utterly naive to believe that cops are the "good guys" in a state and are only there to serve and protect. AZ, in particular, is one of the most corrupt states in the country. Sherriff's deputies and local police are notorious for abusing their authority there, including around kids. In many cases, this is especially risky given some of their off-duty behavior around kids. . .

Russell Millsaps, Ex-Mesa Cop Accused of Molesting Kids, Pleads Not Guilty

Goodyear cop accused of sex with minor - CBS 5 - KPHO

The treat posed by malicious adults to kids is somewhat reduced when kids are taught to be wary of strange men talking to them, asking them for favors, etc.

But that protection is lost when the malicious individual is wearing a uniform and badge. Such an individual knows that children have a natural deference to cops, and that makes it easier for him to hurt kids. In other words, while there's no reason to believe that the no. of child abusers in the police forces is any different than in society in general, those who wear the uniform are a greater threat because they can very easily get away with it.

There's nothing wrong w/having armed officers around kids as long as those officers are directly accountable to the parents of those kids. A private school security team is an example of that; if they go out of line, they will find themselves out of a job and/or in jail very fast. And that effectively puts them in check.

But that's not the case w/state/city police officials (many of whom are corrupted by bribes, drug cartels, etc.). As was the case w/the New Mexico cop above, it's very hard for parents to seek justice when a cop does something bad to his/her kid. The way their contracts work w/the city or state, that cop can't simply be fired. They enjoy specific union/prosecutorial protections, in addition to the blue wall of silence.

Sorry, you're wrong.

In a free country, uniformed gun-toting thugs working for state/local gummints don't belong, especially anywhere near kids.
Spare us.
You are the one who is wrong and you know it.

Don't make generalizations about liberals. I'm a liberal and a teacher and I think this is stupid. What a ridiculous thing for the school to do.
:doh
iLOL
That was a generalization that is true.
Sorry you don't like that.

I'm not surprised by there being some parents who complained about this. I'm surprised the school thought their complaints were legitimate enough to harass the guy.
To the bolded part, exactly. Someone in the situation needs to THINK, simply think, that's the point where someone needs to be an adult and simply say "Seriously? They are entrusted with the public safety, have a child in the school, and you still don't trust them?"

Moderator's Warning:
Watch how you're posting here folks. I have no problem passing out infractions.....

To the bolded part, exactly. Someone in the situation needs to THINK, simply think, that's the point where someone needs to be an adult and simply say "Seriously? They are entrusted with the public safety, have a child in the school, and you still don't trust them?"

Not to mention him being there is a good deterrent for any sick people hanging around.

Not to mention him being there is a good deterrent for any sick people hanging around.
Yep. If anything I'd be happy to have an officer as a fellow parent if I had children in school, they are even more invested in keeping the campus safe.

Back
Top Bottom