• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School asks cop to lose the uniform when dropping off his daughter

Jesus, some of you people will make a piece of toast into a partisan issue

The only issue I could see would be an off duty cop not assigned to the school carrying a gun in a gun free zone. I am not saying that I think it should be an issue or it's right or wrong but that is what I can think of as the only somewhat reasonable issue in this situation.
Sworn officers are usually required to be armed at all times.

It is interesting to hear the CON rants on this.

The cop wasn't banned from the school. He wasn't dressed down infront of his kid. He wasn't taunted as he left the school.

He was asked... that is all.

Now the really funny part about this is it is happening in AZ. Home of the Tea Party 'counter- revolution'. They have a nut job of a sheriff forming posses and posting them around the schools, political action to arm teachers and do more open carry/concealed where ever.

This isn't a school board regulation but a principle making a request.

But out come the same tired dead horses to beat and that worn out drum that needs to be tossed. Great CON lamentations!!!!

END OF THE REPUBLIC! LIBERALS ARE TAKING OVER!!!! :roll:

Now if the Governor of AZ decides gun-free school zones includes off duty cops and demands new laws....

THEN the Ranting makes a bit more sense.... :peace
The fact that a sworn officer was asked to not wear a uniform he wears to help protect his city in is disturbing. The fact that the request is from a member of a school is disturbing.
How was he supposed to take it? My father would have told the teacher to pound sand right then and there. Not go on "facebook" and rant about it.
The cop should have said I am in uniform on my way to start my shift, period. Then walked away.
How about a person in a greasy mechanics uniform? Or a gabage man? Or nurse?
This is getting out of control about guns. IF people are so deathly scared of guns, move to england. Its not hard.

Sworn officers are usually required to be armed at all times.

Do you know if they then get an exception at gun free zones, even off duty? I never really thought about that since gun free zones are silly to begin with. I hope you know, I'm kinda lazy today to look it up myself. :)

Do you know if they then get an exception at gun free zones, even off duty? I never really thought about that since gun free zones are silly to begin with. I hope you know, I'm kinda lazy today to look it up myself. :)
Yes, in every state that I have heard about.
I know cops that carry one primary weapon and a back up even off duty. I know others that dont want to be burdened with it or take that part of the job home with them.
So they dont carry. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not, but if something went down around them and they were unarmed? Well there could be a liabilty issue.

Yes, in every state that I have heard about.
I know cops that carry one primary weapon and a back up even off duty. I know others that dont want to be burdened with it or take that part of the job home with them.
So they dont carry. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not, but if something went down around them and they were unarmed? Well there could be a liabilty issue.
I have also read about some larger depts having 24/7 commitment clauses requiring weapons, uniforms, ID, badges to be kept on the officer or with them at all times in the even of an emergency call in say like 9/11 or the Boston bombing.
They dont want to have to wait for officers to go home and get geared up or run to the station and gear up. That way they can just respond.

I'm not surprised by there being some parents who complained about this. I'm surprised the school thought their complaints were legitimate enough to harass the guy.

The only issue I could see would be an off duty cop not assigned to the school carrying a gun in a gun free zone. I am not saying that I think it should be an issue or it's right or wrong but that is what I can think of as the only somewhat reasonable issue in this situation.
Since 2004 an officer of the law in good standing has a carry right anywhere in U.S. jurisdiction. Retired officers were later included in a 2010 amendment to the Law Enforcement Officer Protection act of 2004. There is no issue, neither the school nor the department have legal standing, not even the federal government in a disarm request of an officer.

EDIT - The only time they would lose that protection is if the firearm is used in a criminal act, such as homicide, armed robbery, etc. But they have the absolute right of carry. I think the only exception is airplane carry, but there is a license available to any officer in good standing.

EDIT EDIT - Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, mia culpa.

Last edited:
The fact that a sworn officer was asked to not wear a uniform he wears to help protect his city in is disturbing. The fact that the request is from a member of a school is disturbing. How was he supposed to take it? My father would have told the teacher to pound sand right then and there. Not go on "facebook" and rant about it. The cop should have said I am in uniform on my way to start my shift, period. Then walked away. How about a person in a greasy mechanics uniform? Or a gabage man? Or nurse? This is getting out of control about guns. IF people are so deathly scared of guns, move to england. Its not hard.

The title of the FOX Noise piece is misleading (imagine that) the issue was not his uniform but the sidearm.

More CON games- it isn't 'disturbing' the off duty LEO was ASKED, not ordered nor demanded, not banned or harassed, was ASKED to not carry his sidearm into the school. It is unfortunate at best... :roll:

Is funny this isn't 'liberal' California, or New York but good ol' Red State Arizona... a fact not lost on me.... :peace

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, or in "Law and Order", or what?
So if I am posting in the wrong section, please accept my apologies in advance and ask that it be move to the appropriate sub-forum.

Apparently they've never heard of the Officer Friendly program in Arizona. When Scott Urkov got a call from officials at Entz Elementary School in Mesa, it wasn't to summon him for a meeting with his daughter's teacher. It was to ask the officer on the Coolidge police force if he'd please wear civilian clothes when dropping her off in the morning, as some parents were alarmed their children had come home talking about a gun-packing cop. Urkov has clammed up since a steaming Facebook post, the school has issued one of those we're-sorry-he-took-the-discussion-the-wrong-way non-apologies, and some parents can't understand the fuss. "Even if my kids saw that, I think they'd feel more protected to see a man in uniform at their school," said Blaine Spencer​
Scott Urkov, Arizona police officer, asked not to wear uniform to daughter's school

They source the following.

Thanks liberals for turning this nation into a bunch of *******. (the word sensor didn't sensor the word.)

Human stupidity truly knows no bounds. :roll:

I think I'd actually be happy to have a uniformed police officer hanging around my children. It'd serve as a deterrent to anyone looking to stir up trouble. Given all the shooting nonsense we've been dealing with lately, it sounds like exactly what schools need right now.

I actually had a similar experience not too long ago. My mother works as a school nurse at a high school for "problem" children a few miles away from our house. The air conditioning in my mother's car is broken at the moment, and she doesn't tend to handle the heat very well, so I've had to pick her up from work a few times on exceptionally hot days.

One of those days happened to coincide with some training I was doing for the Army here in town, so I showed up I uniform.

I didn't think anything of it, but apparently the school disagreed. You wouldn't believe how tense everyone got when they saw me, or the kinds of dirty looks I was getting from the teaching staff as I walked onto the premises. No one said "hello," pretty much everyone kept a "safe" distance from me, and a few of them even flat out ignored me and walked away when I tried to ask them for directions to my mother's office.

I told my mother about it when we got in the car later, and she said it was because I was "intimidating" in my uniform. While I can't really speak to that one way or the other (I'm a bit on the tall side, and I'm not exactly a twig either, but I have a baby face, so I don't really think of myself as being particularly 'scary'), I couldn't help but gawk at the latent absurdity of the situation.

In a school full of wannabe gang bangers and juvenile delinquents, a uniformed soldier comes off as "frightening?" Really? wtf.gif

I can't help but think that some people have their priorities misplaced here.

I'm not surprised by the complaints nor the school's reaction. We are, after all, talking about Arizona, a state virtually overrun by illegals who cringe from police and are terrified their little anchor child will expose them if confronted. Teachers and academics all over the place believe it is their sworn duty to protect illegals in your country and here in Canada too - sanctuary schools are flourishing.

You wonder why?
We know why.
Liberal indoctrination.

Or it could be tea party gun nut indoctrination where some of the children are afraid Sheriff Araipio will put them in jail and take away their parents.

The title of the FOX Noise piece is misleading (imagine that) the issue was not his uniform but the sidearm.

More CON games- it isn't 'disturbing' the off duty LEO was ASKED, not ordered nor demanded, not banned or harassed, was ASKED to not carry his sidearm into the school. It is unfortunate at best... :roll:

Is funny this isn't 'liberal' California, or New York but good ol' Red State Arizona... a fact not lost on me.... :peace
ASKING a sworn officer to disarm is disturbing. I dont care how politly he may have been asked. Just what type of country are we becoming?
Are we that sissified?

ASKING a sworn officer to disarm is disturbing. I dont care how politly he may have been asked. Just what type of country are we becoming?
Are we that sissified?

To call asking a LEO to not bring his sidearm into the school isn't disturbing, some CONs seem so easy to upset... have all CONs become so sissified?

The LEO should have just said(politely) he wouldn't comply and legally he doesn't have to, rather than run to facebook like a sissy little girl and whine about it.

talk about your sissified... :doh

To call asking a LEO to not bring his sidearm into the school isn't disturbing, some CONs seem so easy to upset... have all CONs become so sissified?

The LEO should have just said(politely) he wouldn't comply and legally he doesn't have to, rather than run to facebook like a sissy little girl and whine about it.

Well, its just like a lib to see a gun, even on a police officer, and freak out enough to ask him to take it off and leave it in the car.

Arizona is a red state, or blue? Hmmmmm.....:roll:
It doesn't matter, as we all know the education system has been overrun with liberal views for a long time.

This is a result.

Typical liberal lack of logic.

Sissified is asking him in the first place.
Not him being outraged at the request.

Wrong!
Did you even bother top read either article?
He was asked not to wear his uniform which is what the headline says.
From the article.
Mesa Unified School District officials say they didn't realize they had upset or offended the officer by asking him not to wear his uniform here on campus.

Yes the gun was also requested not to be worn.
But the headline wasn't wrong.
It is what he was asked.
Talk about grasping. :doh

More CON games- it isn't 'disturbing' the off duty LEO was ASKED, not ordered nor demanded, not banned or harassed, was ASKED to not carry his sidearm into the school. It is unfortunate at best...
OMG!
Yes, a Law Enforcement Official was asked something he should not have been asked. Period.

Or it could be tea party gun nut indoctrination where some of the children are afraid Sheriff Araipio will put them in jail and take away their parents.
Look at that. More bs liberal indoctrination.
Thank you for the great example.

He shouldn't have been asked. The uniform told the school that he was a law enforcement officer (pretty sure they would have known anyway). They are a school. They should know the laws. Heck, they should stand the hell up to complaining parents and tell them that it is ignorant to be "concerned" about a police officer, in uniform, wearing a gun, even at a school.

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, or in "Law and Order", or what?
So if I am posting in the wrong section, please accept my apologies in advance and ask that it be move to the appropriate sub-forum.

Apparently they've never heard of the Officer Friendly program in Arizona. When Scott Urkov got a call from officials at Entz Elementary School in Mesa, it wasn't to summon him for a meeting with his daughter's teacher. It was to ask the officer on the Coolidge police force if he'd please wear civilian clothes when dropping her off in the morning, as some parents were alarmed their children had come home talking about a gun-packing cop. Urkov has clammed up since a steaming Facebook post, the school has issued one of those we're-sorry-he-took-the-discussion-the-wrong-way non-apologies, and some parents can't understand the fuss. "Even if my kids saw that, I think they'd feel more protected to see a man in uniform at their school," said Blaine Spencer​
Scott Urkov, Arizona police officer, asked not to wear uniform to daughter's school

Thanks liberals for turning this nation into a bunch of *******. (the word sensor didn't sensor the word.)

Don't make generalizations about liberals. I'm a liberal and a teacher and I think this is stupid. What a ridiculous thing for the school to do.

Sorry, you're wrong.

In a free country, uniformed gun-toting thugs working for state/local gummints don't belong, especially anywhere near kids.

No state is perfectly red or blue.

Well we all know what a red state is. . .

images

Back
Top Bottom