• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

School asks 3 year olds what gender they are

gunner

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
"Brighton and Hove parents have raised concerns about being asked to support their three and four-year-olds to choose which gender, if any, they identify with when accepting a place for primary schools."

Brighton and Hove News » Brighton and Hove schools ask three-year-olds what gender, if any, they identify with

I cannot claim any expertise on this subject; but it does seem a bizarre question to ask 3 and 4 year olds. Watching the interview on Sky News, the teacher kept insisting it was for the 'protection of a handful of children'; but when pressed on what that actually meant, didn't have answers. Is there really a need for 3 and 4 year olds to be asked such questions, and do they the have the capacity to answer ? To me, it seems very disturbing at such a young age.

Last edited:
"Brighton and Hove parents have raised concerns about being asked to support their three and four-year-olds to choose which gender, if any, they identify with when accepting a place for primary schools."

Brighton and Hove News » Brighton and Hove schools ask three-year-olds what gender, if any, they identify with

I cannot claim any expertise on this subject; but it does seem a bizarre question to ask 3 and 4 year olds. Watching the interview on Sky News, the teacher kept insisting it was for the 'protection of a handful of children'; but when pressed on what that actually meant, didn't have answers. Is there really a need for 3 and 4 year olds to be asked such questions, and do they the have the capacity to answer ? To me, it seems very disturbing at such a young age.

You mean a 3 years old can't even tell whether it is wearing baby blue or pink nowadays?

You mean a 3 years old can't even tell whether it is wearing baby blue or pink nowadays?

I have no clue what you mean.

I agree it's too young. At that age they only know what their parents/guardians tell them. Then having someone else question it may just confuse them.

I agree it's too young. At that age they only know what their parents/guardians tell them. Then having someone else question it may just confuse them.

Yes, I agree. But again, I'm no expert on the subject.

A friend's grandchild has insisted she is a boy since that age. Now eight, she still refuses to wear skirts, and complies with the school rules for boys uniform. Nobody makes an issue of it.

these people should be arrested for determent behavior to a child.
a 3 or 4 year old doesn't know what gender they are. they have no clue what gender is.

this insanity is out of control.

I know a couple of parents they convinced their 2 year old boy he was a girl and got a doctor to agree and turned him into a eunuch.
at the age of 2.

they should have been arrested for child abuse.

people go up in arms with people that do circumcisions which cause 0 harm but are neutral and actually approve of people
cutting their boy's penises completely off.

insanity at it's finest.

studies have shown that most kids don't know what gender they are and later on around 70-80% know what gender they are.
nothing trans about it.

Last edited:

Well this is stupid

Oh Good Grief, people are losing their freakn minds. A sign of the times, and it Not a good sign.

Oh Good Grief, people are losing their freakn minds. A sign of the times, and it Not a good sign.

It does feel like we're going off in some strange direction.

I cannot claim any expertise on this subject; but it does seem a bizarre question to ask 3 and 4 year olds.
Nobody is asking the children, let alone the school. The headline (and your thread title) is a quite deliberate lie. I don’t see how you can expect to have an honest discussion about the topic on that basis.

Nobody is asking the children, let alone the school. The headline (and your thread title) is a quite deliberate lie. I don’t see how you can expect to have an honest discussion about the topic on that basis.

WTF are you talking about? The parents fill the form in before they start at the school. The teacher came on Sky news talking about the issue.

From the article:

After the tickbox for male/female, a note explained that the national recording system only gives these two options, and asked parents to “support your child to choose they gender they most identify with or if they have another gender identity please leave this blank and discuss this with your child’s school”.

The policy is very much asking the parents to ask the children how they (the children) identify.

You've got an organization which ostensibly knows a whole lot about child psychology and early childhood education asking parents, many of whom are probably as ignorant, parochial, and unsophisticated as your average American, to broach a potentially dangerous and damaging (for many reasons which the article goes on to discuss) topic with their very minor children.

You need to go study:

Reading Comprehension Worksheets for 1st Grade

WTF are you talking about? The parents fill the form in before they start at the school. The teacher came on Sky news talking about the issue.
Yes, the parents fill out the form. The school doesn’t ask the children anything and there’s not even any expectation or obligation on the parents to ask the children anything. For the vast majority of parents it obviously isn’t an issue so they can tick the relevant box and ignore the paragraph. For the tiny minority of parents where it is relevant, they’d already be aware of the situation with their child so may well benefit from the brief advice from the school as to how best to manage it in this context.

The headline stating “School asks children what their gender is” remains an standard tabloid lie.

Yes, the parents fill out the form. The school doesn’t ask the children anything and there’s not even any expectation or obligation on the parents to ask the children anything. For the vast majority of parents it obviously isn’t an issue so they can tick the relevant box and ignore the paragraph. For the tiny minority of parents where it is relevant, they’d already be aware of the situation with their child so may well benefit from the brief advice from the school as to how best to manage it in this context.

The headline stating “School asks children what their gender is” remains an standard tabloid lie.

You can interpret things how you like. It still amounts to the same outcome, that children are being categorised at the age of 3 or 4. Whether children at such a young age are able to articulate such complex situations, is the question.

What on earth would be disturbing about asking a child their gender? Does it somehow summon Satan whenever someone says the word "gender"?

At any rate, yes, they do have the capacity to answer. Toddlerhood is actually the age where we start seeing very clear gender expression, both aesthetic and verbal, including trans individuals -- most of them know in preschool. Kids that age do have a concept of their gender and are capable of communicating it.

What on earth would be disturbing about asking a child their gender? Does it somehow summon Satan whenever someone says the word "gender"?

At any rate, yes, they do have the capacity to answer. Toddlerhood is actually the age where we start seeing very clear gender expression, both aesthetic and verbal, including trans individuals -- most of them know in preschool. Kids that age do have a concept of their gender and are capable of communicating it.

Like I said, I have no real understanding of the issue. I presume you've studied and are qualified to make such bold statements? I'm truly interested :)

Edit. How would you know a Trans at such a young age?

You can interpret things how you like.
I really can’t. My intellectual honesty actively prevents me from interpreting this as the school asking children what their gender is. I can interpret it to mean that the writers are more interested in spinning up controversy than engaging in any form of rational discussion.

Whether children at such a young age are able to articulate such complex situations, is the question.
It’s certainly a question, probably a more important question than any actually being raised by this story, which is mostly asking the question “How profitable a story can we spin out of this?”.

The fact remains that the localised spat over the existence of that small paragraph on a school application form won’t have had the slightest impact on any children what-so-ever. I can pretty much guarantee no 3 or 4 year olds (male, female or otherwise ;) ) are in the slightest bit aware of it.

I really can’t. My intellectual honesty actively prevents me from interpreting this as the school asking children what their gender is. I can interpret it to mean that the writers are more interested in spinning up controversy than engaging in any form of rational discussion.

It’s certainly a question, probably a more important question than any actually being raised by this story, which is mostly asking the question “How profitable a story can we spin out of this?”.

The fact remains that the localised spat over the existence of that small paragraph on a school application form won’t have had the slightest impact on any children what-so-ever. I can pretty much guarantee no 3 or 4 year olds (male, female or otherwise ;) ) are in the slightest bit aware of it.

So, you're basically saying the parents decide?

I know a couple of parents they convinced their 2 year old boy he was a girl and got a doctor to agree and turned him into a eunuch.
at the age of 2.

They actually had him castrated at the age of 2? There are laws still existing against sterilizing young children, so if that really happened, I think you should report them and the doctor to the authorities, because that is still unequivocally illegal.

They actually had him castrated at the age of 2? There are laws still existing against sterilizing young children, so if that really happened, I think you should report them and the doctor to the authorities, because that is still unequivocally illegal.

i would have to double check.
just to make sure but that is what I heard.

hang on.

Edit and correction.

They convinced him he was a girl and is currently undergoing whatever treatment is allowed.
to many articles on this stuff.

Last edited:
at the age of 2.

they should have been arrested for child abuse.

No ****. The fact that doctors are even removing anyone's healthy testicles is unacceptable, but seriously, a two year olds? **** the doctor and **** the parents.

people go up in arms with people that do circumcisions which cause 0 harm but are neutral and actually approve of people

Ah...circumcision actually does cause mental and physical harm.

Last edited:
No ****. The fact that doctors are even removing anyone's healthy testicles is unacceptable, but seriously, a two year olds? **** the doctor and **** the parents.

Ah...circumcision actually does cause mental and physical harm.

I correct this. they didn't do that. story got it wrong or was misinformed.

however at the age of 2 they did convince their son into thinking he was a girl.
it was pretty messed up.

no it doesn't. medical myth.

Back
Top Bottom