• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schiff: DOJ may need to revisit policy of not indiciting a sitting president

ataraxia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The policy of not indicting a sitting president has traditionally been justified because of the consideration that the job of president is so important and all-consuming that a nation cannot afford to take up his (or her) time and energy with an indictment. That policy probably evolved because we have never had a president who may have committed a felony. Minor crimes may just have to wait until after they have served their term. That has been the traditional argument, at least.

But Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the likely incoming chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has recently called for the Department of Justice (DOJ) to "re-examine" whether it can indict a sitting president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...-examine-olc-opinion-that-you-cannot-indict-a

The historically unprecedented nature and seriousness of the crimes with which the current president is being suspected may force a reconsideration of this policy. This problem has never had to be dealt with until now because we have never had to deal with a sitting president being suspected of possibly being a felon, and if not indicted now while still in office, may well get away with it because he could run out the statue of limitations on the alleged crimes. Should anyone really be above the law like that, especially if the crimes are potential felonies?

Just theoretically speaking, if there was a president who colluded with a hostile foreign power to get elected and is a foreign plant, is it OK to wait until they serve out their full term before they are indicted? What if they serve two terms and run out the statute of limitations? Is it OK to just let it go? How far can this go? What if things like murder are involved? You just have to ride out having a foreign plant, or even a potential murderer in office because of this policy? Should it matter that a large portion of this country either doesn't care, or is more than happy, to have such a foreign plant and/or felon as their president because he is enacting policies that they like?

Last edited:
Well, democrats don't control the DoJ, so that's not likely to happen.

Well, democrats don't control the DoJ, so that's not likely to happen.

Are you OK with that? Partisanship trumping the law like that? From our own Department of justice, on which we rely on to protect us against crimes? Traditionally speaking, and theoretically, the DoJ should be above partisan considerations like that.

And, again, because we are talking purely hypothetically here and extending the scenario, even if the president's party controls both houses of congress as well, is it OK to have a known felon or foreign plant in the whitehouse, simply because his party controls congress and won't impeach for purely political purposes, and the DOJ won't do anything because they are afraid of their boss? Would congressmen who have abandoned their duty to protect America against criminals and uphold constitutional law be held accountable for putting partisan and political considerations over their sworn duties?

These are, of course, all just theoretical questions right now. We just don't know what the investigation is really going to turn up. It may be nothing. I am just curious about the policy of not indicting a sitting president. It just doesn't seems like sound policy.

And for those who may accuse me of being partisan: remember, this could happen with a sitting Democrat president. We are just talking about law and policy, which would apply to all regardless of political affiliation going forward.

Last edited:
“......take up the POTUS’ time and energy?” FFS he doesn’t show up for work until 1100 hrs!

I don't understand- they will in just a few weeks.

And, even assuming they didn't, then is it OK to have a known felon or foreign plant in the whitehouse, simply because his party controls congress?

These are, of course, just theoretical questions right now. We just don't know what the investigation is really going to turn up. It may be nothing. I am just curious about the policy.

I'm not saying it's ok, what I'm saying is it's not going to happen. So why rile people up over it?

The DoJ is staffed by the president.

I'm not saying it's ok, what I'm saying is it's not going to happen. So why rile people up over it?

Yeah, but they also have a job description.

Many Americans are getting riled up because people who are supposed to be protecting America are putting partisan and political considerations over their job duties.

It's all the Trump haters have...to rile people up.

That's been their modus operandi for years, regarding Trump.

Spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...outright lies...raising hypothetical situations and then acting like those are Trump's positions even though he's never mentioned them.

It's all designed to rile people up.

The policy of not indicting a sitting president has traditionally been justified because of the consideration that the job of president is so important and all-consuming that a nation cannot afford to take up his (or her) time and energy with an indictment. That policy probably evolved because we have never had a president who may have committed a felony. Minor crimes may just have to wait until after they have served their term. That has been the traditional argument, at least.

But Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the likely incoming chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has recently called for the Department of Justice (DOJ) to "re-examine" whether it can indict a sitting president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...-examine-olc-opinion-that-you-cannot-indict-a

The historically unprecedented nature and seriousness of the crimes with which the current president is being suspected may force a reconsideration of this policy. This problem has never had to be dealt with until now because we have never had to deal with a sitting president being suspected of possibly being a felon, and if not indicted now while still in office, may well get away with it because he could run out the statue of limitations on the alleged crimes. Should anyone really be above the law like that, especially if the crimes are potential felonies?

Just theoretically speaking, if there was a president who colluded with a hostile foreign power to get elected and is a foreign plant, is it OK to wait until they serve out their full term before they are indicted? What if they serve two terms and run out the statute of limitations? Is it OK to just let it go? How far can this go? What if things like murder are involved? You just have to ride out having a foreign plant, or even a potential murderer in office because of this policy? Should it matter that a large portion of this country either doesn't care, or is more than happy, to have such a foreign plant and/or felon as their president because he is enacting policies that they like?

"If we cant get what we want under the rules then we will either change the rules or ignore the rules" is how we roll now.

We used to be better.

Spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...outright lies...raising hypothetical situations and then acting like those are Trump's positions even though he's never mentioned them.

I am not talking about Trump per se though. I am talking about the policy.

Are you OK with it? Remember, in a few years the same thing could be happening with a Democrat president. When talking about law and policy, it has to be applicable to all. It's the policy in question here.

Do you think it's a good policy?

And that didn't stop the appointment of a Special Counsel.

I generally agree with your assessment, but I'd never say never. We don't know how bad the case is against Trump. If it involves Trump using his position to avert justice upon himself, all bets could be off.

“Priceless”

I am not talking about Trump per se though. I am talking about the policy.

Are you OK with it? Remember, in a few years the same thing could be happening with a Democrat president. When talking about law and policy, it has to be applicable to all. It's the policy in question here.

Do you think it's a good policy?

Of course it's not a good policy.

And that didn't stop the appointment of a Special Counsel.

I generally agree with your assessment, but I'd never say never. We don't know how bad the case is against Trump. If it involves Trump using his position to avert justice upon himself, all bets could be off.

What the hell are you talking about?? Seriously Chom, you need to turn off CNN

Translation, "We admit we lost".

Translation, "We admit we lost".

The country is in uncharted territory, possibly about to undergo a constitutional crisis, and maybe going to hell in a handbasket. And this is what you see?

Arrrrighty then...

The country is in uncharted territory, possibly about to undergo a constitutional crisis, and maybe going to hell in a handbasket. And this is what you see?

Arrrrighty then...

There we go with the constitutional crisis thing again. If you guys weren't so rabidly infected with TDS there would be no constitutional crisis at all. It is of YOUR own making. If you are so worried about a constitutional crisis then why not give up and let Trump do his job without the resistance?

There we go with the constitutional crisis thing again. If you guys weren't so rabidly infected with TDS there would be no constitutional crisis at all. It is of YOUR own making. If you are so worried about a constitutional crisis then why not give up and let Trump do his job without the resistance?

//// let Trump do his job without the resistance ////// Do you feel the same about letting Mueller do his job without any resistance ?

//// let Trump do his job without the resistance ////// Do you feel the same about letting Mueller do his job without any resistance ?

I have no worries about Mueller. Even if he found something on the president he couldn't do a damn thing about it for a number or reasons, hence the very reason for this thread. A top ranking Democrat doesn't even think that anything will happen to Trump.

I have no worries about Mueller. Even if he found something on the president he couldn't do a damn thing about it for a number or reasons, hence the very reason for this thread. A top ranking Democrat doesn't even think that anything will happen to Trump.

Good to see a conservative go on record as stating Mueller should be allowed to complete his investigation unimpeded. It appears you and Barnacle ( a conservative) disagree on this issue.

So you would be totally OK looking the other way if the president of the United States was a felon and had been planted there by a hostile foreign power?

I’m sorry if I find that a little odd. I guess it’s something I got to get used to. :shrug:

And you are saying this like it’s a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom