• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Schiff: DOJ may need to revisit policy of not indiciting a sitting president

I'm not saying it's ok, what I'm saying is it's not going to happen. So why rile people up over it?

The DoJ is staffed by the president.

I'm not saying that this specific situation is enough to warrant such an action, but the DOJ is in fact answerable to the House. If the DOJ acted irresponsible enough (again, I'm not saying we're there yet), the House could choose to stop funding it.

It's all the Trump haters have...to rile people up.

That's been their modus operandi for years, regarding Trump.

Spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...outright lies...raising hypothetical situations and then acting like those are Trump's positions even though he's never mentioned them.

It's all designed to rile people up.

///// It's all designed to rile people up. ///// Sounds like you are describing a Trump campaign rally or one of his insane tweets to a tee.

It's all the Trump haters have...to rile people up.

That's been their modus operandi for years, regarding Trump.

Spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...outright lies...raising hypothetical situations and then acting like those are Trump's positions even though he's never mentioned them.

It's all designed to rile people up.

I can give you a whole inventory of things Trump has said if you want the exact quotes.

For example when he was asked by Maria butina what was his policy on Russia

Trump said that he thought he would get along well with Putin and he didn't believe the sanctions were necessary.

Note that if we got rid of the sanctions Putin would profit to the tune of many billions so imagine a murderous dictator with hundreds of billions at his disposal.

The list of horrific statements by Trump is vast and will lead any rational person to one conclusion only; that he's incredibly stupid and naive.

Here's the false and pseudo logic you right Wingers use that the stuff we are talking about Trump has an alarming quality and because of that you assumed it must be wrong. But wait a minute, there really is a five-alarm fire being sounded. You are just not listening.

Imagine if you thought that the next time you're in a building and somebody pulls alarm and you said yourself this is just a trick, everyone leaves you're standing there and you go about your daily thing all the sudden there's fire all around you.

That's your average right winger

Last edited:
I can give you a whole inventory of things Trump has said if you want the exact quotes.

For example when he was asked by Maria butina what was his policy on Russia

Trump said that he thought he would get along well with Putin and he didn't believe the sanctions were necessary.

Note that if we got rid of the sanctions Putin would profit to the tune of many billions so imagine a murderous dictator with hundreds of billions at his disposal.

You got a link to this conversation?

The list of horrific statements by Trump is vast and will lead any rational person to one conclusion only; that he's incredibly stupid and naive.

Here's the false and pseudo logic you right Wingers use that the stuff we are talking about Trump has an alarming quality and because of that you assumed it must be wrong. But wait a minute, there really is a five-alarm fire being sounded. You are just not listening.

Imagine if you thought that the next time you're in a building and somebody pulls alarm and you said yourself this is just a trick, everyone leaves you're standing there and you go about your daily thing all the sudden there's fire all around you.

That's your average right winger

I thought you had "a whole inventory". I see one thing with no substantiation.

Moving on...

You know schiff should be careful because what if this happens to a democrat oh wait there’s no investigation into a democrat because they won fair but cheated the dnc. This is a joke that no one is laughing! This is only for republicans? I’m getting tired how to respond to this because all I want to tell you that this is a pathetic joke! How about we have a election tomorrow and if ANYONE DOES ANYTHING BEHIND THE SCENE WILL FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES AND I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE LAST NAME!

Here's the clip with that conversation

So...someone named Patricio Da Silva says that lady speaking is Butina.

LOL!!

But hey...let's say this is true. What's wrong with a President wanting to work for peaceful relations with other countries?

Would you rather Trump declared war on Russia?

So...someone named Patricio Da Silva says that lady speaking is Butina.

LOL!!

But hey...let's say this is true. What's wrong with a President wanting to work for peaceful relations with other countries?

Would you rather Trump declared war on Russia?

You missed the point, not the "get along with Putin" part, the part where he said he's for removing the sanctions. There's a back story here, and you need to read up on why the sanctions are in place. This is significant, his lax attitude reveals he does not understand the dynamic forces at play, and that fact is why he poses a threat to America's national security.

Also, Exxon has purchased the rights to explore for oil, some 65 million acres ( I forget the number, but it's the largest in history ) in the Antartic.

Removiong the sanctions would allow Putin to engage the only company who is capable, and the one who has the rights, to develop it for oil.

This is what it is all about, folks, Putin wants to get rid of the sanctions and the Magnitsky act, both are crimping his style, in a very big way.

I read where it was estimated that this exploration would enrich Putin to some 500 billlion bucks. But, what do I know. Just think of a journalist murdering dictator with that much money, who is hell bent on destabilizing western civilization, kinda sends a chill up your spine.

If it doesn't, it should.

If if doesn't, you're a lost soul.

Any one who favors Putin getting sanctions removed and the Magnitsky Act repealed, ion my view, is a traitor to this country.

The above fact is why Trump was forced to cave on the sanctions, and finally ( he dragged his feet for a year or so ) implement them, because many in the Senate and House wanted them implemented, the senate voted some 98 or some high number like that in favor of the sanctions. If he didn't , he would have been overridden in the Senate. Most of the Senators know the importance of them, but Donald Trump doesn't, he's a frickin' moron.

You didn't get the memo? We can sanction and make life rough for Putin, but we don't have to declare war on them, either. Already Putin knows Trump is weaken, he recently attacted some Ukranian ships, and what did we do?

Nada, zip, not a darn thing. Trump totally wimped out. He was tested and FAILED. Putin now knows his investment in Trump was worth the effort and money spent, and he now has a "useful idiot" IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

"We do not like what's happening either way. We don't like what is happening, and hopefully it will get straightened out" -- Donald Trump, on Putin's recent attack on Ukrainian ships

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-boats-kerch-strait-poroshenko-a8653616.html

Last edited:
The policy of not indicting a sitting president has traditionally been justified because of the consideration that the job of president is so important and all-consuming that a nation cannot afford to take up his (or her) time and energy with an indictment.

[...]

My rebuttal to that premise is this: Do we want a serious decades long CRIMINAL to continue to be president?

Think about that.

Now, he hasn't been tried, but the potential is there, big time. That is why we MUST rescind the DOJ policy.

There we go with the constitutional crisis thing again. If you guys weren't so rabidly infected with TDS there would be no constitutional crisis at all. It is of YOUR own making. If you are so worried about a constitutional crisis then why not give up and let Trump do his job without the resistance?

The prez is tearing down institutions, trying to use them to "be loyal" to avoid being impeached or prosecuted, committing obstruction of justice right under your nose, and you can't see it? Amazing.

The TDS meme is rather tired, don't ya think? My advice is to avoid memes altogether, most on the memes on the right are stupid, anyway.

Amazing.

I have no worries about Mueller. Even if he found something on the president he couldn't do a damn thing about it for a number or reasons, hence the very reason for this thread. A top ranking Democrat doesn't even think that anything will happen to Trump.

I don't think you understand what Mueller is up to. He's got a few items under seal, and has spread a few of his investigative tasks to other US Attys, etc, and a plan ready to spring load into action if he is canned.

Moreover, we are expecting more indictments, namely DJTjr.

That ought shake up the prez. I mean, he's been shaking all of us up for a spell now, now it's his turn to be rattled.

There's always someone on the left somewhere you can find who agrees with you, big deal.

Most don't, though.

Wait a minute, I thought the FBI and DOJ was nothing but angry Democrats?

"nothing but", you see, that's the problem. Leadership issues happen all the time. Still, most DoJ workers I knew voted for trump. In fact, even the news reported on it. It's interesting how workers never would have gotten the memo that he was owned by russians, or otherwise never would have suspected it. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/03/fbi-leaks-hillary-clinton-james-comey-donald-trump

While most conservatives are certainly skeptical of government leadership(and for good reason), no one would ever be so crass as to think that 100% of all people in the FBI/DoJ are anti-trump democrats. Hell, not 100% of african americans are democrats.

"nothing but", you see, that's the problem. Leadership issues happen all the time. Still, most DoJ workers I knew voted for trump. In fact, even the news reported on it. It's interesting how workers never would have gotten the memo that he was owned by russians, or otherwise never would have suspected it. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/03/fbi-leaks-hillary-clinton-james-comey-donald-trump

While most conservatives are certainly skeptical of government leadership(and for good reason), no one would ever be so crass as to think that 100% of all people in the FBI/DoJ are anti-trump democrats. Hell, not 100% of african americans are democrats.

If the Trump haters can't come up with specifics, they make do with spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...a few lies...and a broad brush.

It doesn't help their case much, but it satiates the useful idiots.

The policy of not indicting a sitting president has traditionally been justified because of the consideration that the job of president is so important and all-consuming that a nation cannot afford to take up his (or her) time and energy with an indictment. That policy probably evolved because we have never had a president who may have committed a felony. Minor crimes may just have to wait until after they have served their term. That has been the traditional argument, at least.

But Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the likely incoming chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has recently called for the Department of Justice (DOJ) to "re-examine" whether it can indict a sitting president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...-examine-olc-opinion-that-you-cannot-indict-a

The historically unprecedented nature and seriousness of the crimes with which the current president is being suspected may force a reconsideration of this policy. This problem has never had to be dealt with until now because we have never had to deal with a sitting president being suspected of possibly being a felon, and if not indicted now while still in office, may well get away with it because he could run out the statue of limitations on the alleged crimes. Should anyone really be above the law like that, especially if the crimes are potential felonies?

Just theoretically speaking, if there was a president who colluded with a hostile foreign power to get elected and is a foreign plant, is it OK to wait until they serve out their full term before they are indicted? What if they serve two terms and run out the statute of limitations? Is it OK to just let it go? How far can this go? What if things like murder are involved? You just have to ride out having a foreign plant, or even a potential murderer in office because of this policy? Should it matter that a large portion of this country either doesn't care, or is more than happy, to have such a foreign plant and/or felon as their president because he is enacting policies that they like?

Maybe Soros' son's brother in law needs to re-visit the US Constitution...

Maybe Soros' son's brother in law needs to re-visit the US Constitution...

Wait. You are not worried about the president of the United States. But you are worried about Soros’ son’s brother in law? :lamo

What the hell are you talking about?? Seriously Chom, you need to turn off CNN
"If", Fletch, "If'. We're still seeing this unfold, and it's gotten far deeper and wider than anyone ever expected ...

Back
Top Bottom