• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

scampaign

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Is Trump running to make money?

What’s more, a significant chunk of the money Trump has raised came in the form of loans the candidate made to himself – money that donors will eventually pay back, putting their money in his pocket. A campaign finance expert with the Campaign Legal Center told the New York Times yesterday Trump could “end up turning a profit if he repaid himself for the campaign loans. He could get all his money back plus the profit margin for what his campaign has paid [Trump’s larger enterprise] for goods and services.”

There’s a reason a new word is starting to enter the political lexicon: the rise of the “scampaign.”

Wasn't he supposed to be "really, really rich" already, and funding his campaign from his own wealth in order not to be influenced by special interests?

His campaign may be imploding, but, if his real goals were to get Hillary elected and to make money, then it is a huge success....

That's huuuuugggeeee!

source

This list of Trump campaign payments to Trump companies has been circulating:

ClcQJJfWQAA_kon.jpg

Trump’s Dead Broke Campaign has Been Paying Trump’s Companies (and Trump’s Family) a Lot of Money

Wasn't he supposed to be "really, really rich" already, and funding his campaign from his own wealth in order not to be influenced by special interests?

His campaign may be imploding, but, if his real goals were to get Hillary elected and to make money, then it is a huge success....

That's huuuuugggeeee!

source

Not to mention that all the "self-funding" Trump has done is in the form of LOANS to his campaign meaning that anyone who contributes will be paying back Trump. No wonder he can't get any big donors to sign on.

Seems like a dumb way to make money in the long run. All of Trump's business relies on his name brand and it seems like he is only doing harm to that.

Not to mention that all the "self-funding" Trump has done is in the form of LOANS to his campaign meaning that anyone who contributes will be paying back Trump. No wonder he can't get any big donors to sign on.

It was a lot easier to scam the Republican voters than it will be to scam the guys with the bucks. They have to protect their investments after all.

Seems like a dumb way to make money in the long run. All of Trump's business relies on his name brand and it seems like he is only doing harm to that.

I think Trump's believes that ANY publicity is good publicity. He is probably wrong here though.

Trump trying to make money off of something?
Why am I not surprised?

That's huuuuugggeeee!

source

And I don't blame Trump at all for this fiasco. I blame the dinks who vote for him.

That's huuuuugggeeee!

source

Perhaps it would be helpful to have a tiny sliver of knowledge about intricacies of how someone gains access to assets before consuming another handful of straws.

No business person can just tap into a company they own and take out cash without accounting for it. Pull cash, it's income, and subject to IRS income tax.

It's perfectly reasonable, and common, to have a business loan money to an officer or owner, provided there is proper documentation and the terms are in writing. The IRS will void such attempts and call it income subject to income tax if these rules are not followed.

Given the apparent never ending audit cycle the IRS has been forcing Trump to endure, it's absurd to think every transaction is not at arms length.

So, this isn't huuuuuuuuggggeeee at all. It's a joke, only fit for consumption by the unknowing and uninformed.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be helpful to have a tiny sliver of knowledge about intricacies of how someone gains access to assets before consuming another handful of straws.

No business person can just tap into a company they own and take out cash without accounting for it. Pull cash, it's income, and subject to IRS income tax.

It's perfectly reasonable, and common, to have a business loan money to an officer or owner, provided there is proper documentation and the terms are in writing. The IRS will void such attempts and call it income subject to income tax if these rules are not followed.

Given the apparent never ending audit cycle the IRS has been forcing Trump to endure, it's absurd to think every transaction is not at arms length.

So, this isn't huuuuuuuuggggeeee at all. It's a joke, only fit for consumption by the unknowing and uninformed.

So, knowing the intricacies of high finance, one would understand that Trump isn't actually making any money from lending himself money to be paid back out of campaign contributions.

Good to know.

So, knowing the intricacies of high finance, one would understand that Trump isn't actually making any money from lending himself money to be paid back out of campaign contributions.

Good to know.

:doh

Well, what might be good to know, is how people can tell the future the way they are. Having captured the ability to know exactly what's going to happen in the future is probably a very helpful talent.

I knew Rachel Maddow was full of things, but this latest screed proves how full of it she is.

Classic dog whistle with predictable result.

Exactly. What a disaster for the GOP.

But that suggests that Trump is capable of rational self-evaluation. And by now we certainly know that can't be true...

We are talking about how Trump is handling campaign funds. Are you an expert on those very particular laws? By the way, how much $$ have you contributed to greasing Trump's 757 so far?

:doh

Well, what might be good to know, is how people can tell the future the way they are. Having captured the ability to know exactly what's going to happen in the future is probably a very helpful talent.

I knew Rachel Maddow was full of things, but this latest screed proves how full of it she is.

Classic dog whistle with predictable result.

When Trump trumpeted about financing his own campaign, I correctly predicted that he would not. How's that for predicting the future?

We are talking about how Trump is handling campaign funds. Are you an expert on those very particular laws? By the way, how much $$ have you contributed to greasing Trump's 757 so far?

Yes, it does appear the topic is about how Trump is funding his campaign. Congratulations, you figured it out.

Am I an expert on these laws? Yes. Accessing business assets has been something I have done for decades. Perhaps you could share your expertise in this area, since you seem to imply you have knowledge in this area.

As to contributions, why would I respond to such a childish question?

Up your game, or delete your account.

:peace

When Trump trumpeted about financing his own campaign, I correctly predicted that he would not. How's that for predicting the future?

How's that for predicting the future? Well DN, I would call your prediction a rather significant public FAIL. :failpail:

So far, it would appear he has financed his own campaign.

As I wrote before, it might help if people yapping around Maddow's ludicrous claim familiarized themselves with some of the laws involved in tapping into personal assets. I would certainly help them avoid looking foolish.

How's that for predicting the future? Well DN, I would call your prediction a rather significant public FAIL. :failpail:

So far, it would appear he has financed his own campaign.

As I wrote before, it might help if people yapping around Maddow's ludicrous claim familiarized themselves with some of the laws involved in tapping into personal assets. I would certainly help them avoid looking foolish.

I don't want to open this ad, as it will generate a ton of spam. You can check it out though:

Contribute to Team Trump - We Will Start Winning Again‎
Adsecure.trump2016.com/‎
Take Our Country Back. Donate Here:
Team Trump Contribute Now · Help Stop Hillary.

I don't want to open this ad, as it will generate a ton of spam. You can check it out though:

I would prefer to avoid a similar result.

How does his request for donations support this conjecture on your part, and the laughable Rachel Maddow?

I can't waltz in to my business and write a check to myself for $1 million without being subject to income tax on that $1 million. I can waltz in and have my company loan me $1 million, as long as there is proper documentation, the interest rate is appropriate, and there is a due date for repayment. This is a common practice, and must be done "at arms length", otherwise the IRS will sink their claws into the deal.

I would prefer to avoid a similar result.

How does his request for donations support this conjecture on your part, and the laughable Rachel Maddow?

I can't waltz in to my business and write a check to myself for $1 million without being subject to income tax on that $1 million. I can waltz in and have my company loan me $1 million, as long as there is proper documentation, the interest rate is appropriate, and there is a due date for repayment. This is a common practice, and must be done "at arms length", otherwise the IRS will sink their claws into the deal.

How does an ad asking for donations support the "conjecture" that Trump isn't funding his own campaign? Why, I can't imagine. Whatever connection could there possibly be between saying you're funding your own campaign, and asking for campaign donations??? Hmm.. must be something there.

How does an ad asking for donations support the "conjecture" that Trump isn't funding his own campaign? Why, I can't imagine. Whatever connection could there possibly be between saying you're funding your own campaign, and asking for campaign donations??? Hmm.. must be something there.

Perhaps you could provide a link to where Trump said he would refuse all political donations and fund the entire campaign on his own.

I've seen people stretch to maintain a position, but you're out into rubber man territory.

So what I've seen here is a number of anti-Trumpsters completely making up stories and drawing conclusion about issues they clearly don't have any experience or knowledge in, and I'm seeing claims made that have no basis in reality.

And this thread was supposed to accomplish what?

Perhaps you could provide a link to where Trump said he would refuse all political donations and fund the entire campaign on his own.

I've seen people stretch to maintain a position, but you're out into rubber man territory.

So what I've seen here is a number of anti-Trumpsters completely making up stories and drawing conclusion about issues they clearly don't have any experience or knowledge in, and I'm seeing claims made that have no basis in reality.

And this thread was supposed to accomplish what?

Refusing all political donations is quite different from actively advertising for donations. Part of Trump's schtick is that he was going to fund his own campaign and thus not be beholden to special interests. Instead, he's found a way to make money on his own campaign. It makes one wonder if he seriously wants to be president, or just make money and gain more notoriety than he already has.

Refusing all political donations is quite different from actively advertising for donations. Part of Trump's schtick is that he was going to fund his own campaign and thus not be beholden to special interests. Instead, he's found a way to make money on his own campaign. It makes one wonder if he seriously wants to be president, or just make money and gain more notoriety than he already has.

Given the evidence of how Trump has financed his campaign, I can't imagine you could hold any more straws than you are currently clutching.

Back
Top Bottom