• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scalia's shameful joke at SSM hearing

chromium

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"There was a shocking, ugly moment during the argument of Obergefell v. Hodges, the same-sex marriage case, in the Supreme Court on Tuesday. Right after Mary Bonauto, the lawyer challenging marriage bans in several states, completed her argument, a spectator rose from a back row and started screaming, “If you support gay marriage, you will burn in Hell!” As the man yelled, “It’s an abomination!,” guards carried him from the courtroom.

That wasn’t the ugly part, though. In the quiet moment after the man was removed, as his shouts vanished into the hallway, Justice Antonin Scalia filled the silence with a quip. “It was rather refreshing, actually,” he said.

Justice Scalia's Shameful Joke - The New Yorker

Can we impeach this fat **** theocrat disguised in a black robe already

Last edited:
Believe me as a huge Scalia detractor myself I would like to see him removed from the Supreme Court as much as the next guy. But his little quip just left me with an "eh."

Sarcasm.......

If that was a joke that was a really ****ty joke

lol if you think it was sarcasm, you don't have any familiarity with scalia on this topic

I'm not certain I know what he meant.

"There was a shocking, ugly moment during the argument of Obergefell v. Hodges, the same-sex marriage case, in the Supreme Court on Tuesday. Right after Mary Bonauto, the lawyer challenging marriage bans in several states, completed her argument, a spectator rose from a back row and started screaming, “If you support gay marriage, you will burn in Hell!” As the man yelled, “It’s an abomination!,” guards carried him from the courtroom.

That wasn’t the ugly part, though. In the quiet moment after the man was removed, as his shouts vanished into the hallway, Justice Antonin Scalia filled the silence with a quip. “It was rather refreshing, actually,” he said.

Can we impeach this fat **** theocrat already

Scalia is hit and miss with me, but it sounds like the news is being VERY misleading with what actually happened: Peeling back the layers of Justice Scalia's joke - Chicago Tribune

Looks like he meant the break from oral arguments was refreshing, not the protester's mockery of the court. Now if you have ever had to work in a courtroom, you would probably find that joke pretty funny.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9605-1366238087-11_zpseff59032.gif~original

Yeah, I really don't think there's anything here, and I detest Scalia.

Scalia is hit and miss with me, but it sounds like the news is being VERY misleading with what actually happened: Peeling back the layers of Justice Scalia's joke - Chicago Tribune

Looks like he meant the break from oral arguments was refreshing, not the protester's mockery of the court. Now if you have ever had to work in a courtroom, you would probably find that joke pretty funny.

Even if i bought that argument, you'd have to be incredibly tactless and indifferent to those who had just been highly insulted to make a joke like that. To do so while on duty in such a position as the supreme court, well, it makes bill clinton's indiscretion look like nothing. The court was full of people whose lives will be greatly altered by the outcome. He said it because he agreed with the gay bashing loon. No way ginsburg would say "rather refreshing."

Scalia is seriously demented and it's time for him to GTFO

Even if i bought that argument, you'd have to be incredibly tactless and indifferent to those who had just been highly insulted to make a joke like that. To do so while on duty in such a position as the supreme court, well, it makes bill clinton's indiscretion look like nothing. The court was full of people whose lives will be greatly altered by the outcome. He said it because he agreed with the gay bashing loon. No way ginsburg would say "rather refreshing."

Talk about making a mountain out of amole hill...Seriously dude, get a hold of yourself.

Not interested in what anyone on ignore has to say, as you're probably on ignore for talking like scalia on a regular basis

Talk about making a mountain out of amole hill...Seriously dude, get a hold of yourself.

yeah we had four justices (all Democrats) who pretended that there is no individual right to own guns and that is OK but make a joke that might upset the gays and its impeachable. and it appears he wasn't even disrespecting the homosexual faction anyway

No wonder you thought the joke was a big deal, you must be one of those people who think everything is life and death. You do realize no matter the outcome of this case it has little actual effect in the real world. With DOMA struck down, even if a gay marriage ban is upheld gays can elope to a state that allows gay marriage and get all the benefits

You should buy that argument as it is in the official court transcript, whereas the opposing version is based off a tweet.

I'm not going to guess as to your experience with oral arguments, but as someone who has participated in them, I can tell you it is very intense/stressful. A bout of lunacy with a short break can definitely be "refreshing" in such a scenario.

I'd hardly call a simple joke 'unprofessional'. If you thought that was unprofessional, I guarantee you could consider every member of SCOTUS to be unprofessional.

Impeachment over commenting on a pause that refreshes (a short break in his day?) is a bit extreme. Actually I find him to be quite clean and articulate for a "fat **** theocrat". ;)

While he was wrong to disrupt the court, what the protestor said was correct. Gay pseudomarriage is an abomination, and it's supporters risk being damned forever.

And it was quite refreshing to hear someone being so blunt.

Oh no! Scalia is getting impeached! We can't lose him, he's the only one that has read the Constitution. I think 4 of them don't even know it exists.

Oh no! Scalia is getting impeached! We can't lose him, he's the only one that has read the Constitution. I think 4 of them don't even know it exists.

That's not true, they know they exist, and they believe "the Constitution" means whatever they think it does, so they must know that "the Constitution" exists.

Now in terms of the actual document with actual words on it that actually give the government any authority to do anything, well in that case, no, they may not be aware of the document.

Thank god he spoke up for decent people everywhere.

Impeachment over commenting on a pause that refreshes (a short break in his day?) is a bit extreme. Actually I find him to be quite clean and articulate for a "fat **** theocrat". ;)

Gaynazi agenda.

While I breathtakingly disagree with the majority of Scalia's positions, he has proven himself on numerous occasions to be really quite intelligent. Short of knowing the whole story, I'd like to think there would be more to his quip than such a facile joke.

It was in the manner of not seeing that sort of display every day, breaking up the discussion, waking people up...whatever.

Normally you get this hyper-sensitive analysis from bloggers and New Media types like Salon rather than a long-form traditional publication like the New Yorker, but I suppose you gotta write something fiery when everyone else is not sure how this is going to go in the end!

While I breathtakingly disagree with the majority of Scalia's positions, he has proven himself on numerous occasions to be really quite intelligent. Short of knowing the whole story, I'd like to think there would be more to his quip than such a facile joke.

Yes, god forbid anyone joke about gays. Less they be removed from the face of the earth.

Back
Top Bottom