• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saturday night fire turns protest to riot

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Saturday night fire turns protest to riot: Today’s top takeaways - oregonlive.com

While several groups of protesters gathered peacefully across the city on Saturday night, a small group of about 20 people lit a fire inside the police union building in North Portland.

The action drew police to declare a riot and advance on the crowd using impact munitions and physical force, a pattern that’s unfolded on several recent nights in which a small group provoke police by damaging property and throwing objects at officers.

Mayor Ted Wheeler is expected to address the situation this week, though it’s unclear how. In a press conference last week, the mayor vowed that he would hold the small group committing criminal activities accountable.

After they arrived, a few people moved a dumpster to the middle of the street, tipped it over and set its cardboard contents on fire. A few others tagged the boarded-up union building with graffiti or pounded on the plywood.

Around 11 p.m., about 20 people turned their focus to building’s front door while others stood to block their actions from view. Videos on social media showed some people had punched a hole in the plywood and door. A fire was burning cardboard and wood on the floor near the door.

It appears that the mayor is finally going to be compelled to do something about the problem. Ignoring it didn't make it go away. Blaming federal officers protecting courthouses didn't work. The bad actors claiming to be protesters are just getting more bold - and dangerous.

I do not understand why the mayor doesn't just issue a curfew until this cools off. The activity is all happening at night.

How can a mayor be so incompetent? Please tell me that this guy isn't going to be reelected...

Cities like Portland and Minneapolis are a draw for right wing extremists.

1. Go to Portland or whatever other city has protests and cameras rolling 24/7.
2. Throw a brick through a window.
3. Get on tv.
4. Trump supporters on debate forums: "ANTIFA! LEFT WING HELLHOLES! BLACK PEOPLE!"

Cities like Portland and Minneapolis are a draw for right wing extremists.

1. Go to Portland or whatever other city has protests and cameras rolling 24/7.
2. Throw a brick through a window.
3. Get on tv.
4. Trump supporters on debate forums: "ANTIFA! LEFT WING HELLHOLES! BLACK PEOPLE!"

You are trying to bait there. This isn't 'right wing extremists' - this is the anti-police crowd that's been doing this for months.

And what would it even matter? Do you think it should be allowed to continue?

You are trying to bait there. This isn't 'right wing extremists' - this is the anti-police crowd that's been doing this for months.

And what would it even matter? Do you think it should be allowed to continue?

I think that when Trump is out of office the temperature of the nation will cool down and this will peter out. He and his supporters have been stoking these fires for four years. So long as he's in office this will continue to get worse.

I think that when Trump is out of office the temperature of the nation will cool down and this will peter out. He and his supporters have been stoking these fires for four years. So long as he's in office this will continue to get worse.

Translation - "I support terroristic actions whenever me and mine do not get our way."

Translation - "I support terroristic actions whenever me and mine do not get our way."

One question you’ve never answered: does Russia pay you by the post or by the hour?

It's not 'Trump and his supporters' stoking the fires. It's the liberal / left groups. This started toward the end of the Bush (II) administration, and for some reason has become a form of political activism.

Note that the issue isn't EVERYONE on the left, but the left is certainly supporting / justifying / tolerating it. Portland is a great example.

It's not 'Trump and his supporters' stoking the fires. It's the liberal / left groups. This started toward the end of the Bush (II) administration, and for some reason has become a form of political activism.

Note that the issue isn't EVERYONE on the left, but the left is certainly supporting / justifying / tolerating it. Portland is a great example.

Support every part of your post with evidence.

Saturday night fire turns protest to riot: Today’s top takeaways - oregonlive.com

It appears that the mayor is finally going to be compelled to do something about the problem. Ignoring it didn't make it go away. Blaming federal officers protecting courthouses didn't work. The bad actors claiming to be protesters are just getting more bold - and dangerous.

I do not understand why the mayor doesn't just issue a curfew until this cools off. The activity is all happening at night.

When you get to walk in a store and loot with impunity, just what do you expect? Like many crimes in blue states they are no longer crimes due to lack of enforcement.

Support every part of your post with evidence.

lol - you first.

What makes you think the 'fires are being stoked by Trump and his supporters'? It's been just the opposite. Again... Portland as an example. The city and it's mayor are allowing the protests to continue. They acted as antagonists - blaming the US government for protecting essentially one building from being destroyed, allowing and even participating in the rioting groups at night. Now the behavior continues.

lol - you first.

What makes you think the 'fires are being stoked by Trump and his supporters'? It's been just the opposite. Again... Portland as an example. The city and it's mayor are allowing the protests to continue. They acted as antagonists - blaming the US government for protecting essentially one building from being destroyed, allowing and even participating in the rioting groups at night. Now the behavior continues.

You said "It's the liberal / left groups."

What does that mean? Who are the "liberal/left" groups, and how did you identify them?

Translation: I understand the angry rioters in the frame of terrorist anarchists. But don't you dare try to understand them in any other way, like say police misconduct, otherwise it means you support them!

You said "It's the liberal / left groups."

What does that mean? Who are the "liberal/left" groups, and how did you identify them?

How do you identify "Trump supporters"?

I'm sure you can distinguish between liberal and conservative groups and people. In this case, it's very apparent that the groups doing the damage and 'protesting' are being encouraged by the left. Who do you think is flinging out talking points like 'the feds are taking over Portland!!!!!' etc.?

One question you’ve never answered: does Russia pay you by the post or by the hour?

That's a nice dodge from you properly being skewered over supporting terrorist actions.

How do you identify "Trump supporters"?

I'm sure you can distinguish between liberal and conservative groups and people. In this case, it's very apparent that the groups doing the damage and 'protesting' are being encouraged by the left. Who do you think is flinging out talking points like 'the feds are taking over Portland!!!!!' etc.?

Ah, so when you said "it's the liberal/left groups," you were lying.

The thing that everybody here has to constantly remind themselves is that every single claim by a trump supporter is a lie, pulled completely out of their ass, or both. You can't take a single thing at face value.

That's a nice dodge from you properly being skewered over supporting terrorist actions.

If not by the post or by the hour, perhaps Russia pays per diem? A flat fee? Are there retirement benefits?

Ah, so when you said "it's the liberal/left groups," you were lying.

The thing that everybody here has to constantly remind themselves is that every single claim by a trump supporter is a lie, pulled completely out of their ___, or both. You can't take a single thing at face value.

Thank you for providing a great example of liberals fanning the flames. It's obvious you are trying to bait here - I'm done playing. Take care.

If not by the post or by the hour, perhaps Russia pays per diem? A flat fee? Are there retirement benefits?

Another dodge because your...uh..."posts" are nothing but an empty suit.

I'll assume it's per post.

So pathetic...I accept your concession that you support terrorist tactics being used by the left.

Trying to burn down a building after you've trapped people inside?

A little attempted murder, anyone?

So pathetic...I accept your concession that you support terrorist tactics being used by the left.
I have a question: You are attempting to understand the underlying causes of the riots by thinking that the people are leftist terrorists. Of course that doesn't mean you support the riots, it just means that you are understanding them from a certain point of view. But when other posters attempt to understand the underlying causes of the riots, by instead believing that people are angry about police misconduct, you and others tend to claim that they actually support the rioters. Not just understand the root causes differently than you do, but actually support the riots. Can you help me understand that? It doesn't make any sense to me. Understanding and supporting are not automatically the same thing. If I falsely claimed that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor because they were angry about something Roosevelt said, and you corrected me by saying they actually did it so they could capture the Pacific islands without US interference, would that mean you all of a sudden support Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor? No, that would be absurd wouldn't it? Understanding a person's (or group's) motives is not the same thing as being on-board with them and cheering them on.

Trying to burn down a building after you've trapped people inside?

A little attempted murder, anyone?
Nobody trapped anyone inside a burning building in this story. Are you looking for this thread?

I have a question: You are attempting to understand the underlying causes of the riots by thinking that the people are leftist terrorists. Of course that doesn't mean you support the riots, it just means that you are understanding them from a certain point of view. But when other posters attempt to understand the underlying causes of the riots, by instead believing that people are angry about police misconduct, you and others tend to claim that they actually support the rioters. Not just understand the root causes differently than you do, but actually support the riots. Can you help me understand that? It doesn't make any sense to me. Understanding and supporting are not automatically the same thing. If I falsely claimed that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor because they were angry about something Roosevelt said, and you corrected me by saying they actually did it so they could capture the Pacific islands without US interference, would that mean you all of a sudden support Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor? No, that would be absurd wouldn't it? Understanding a person's (or group's) motives is not the same thing as being on-board with them and cheering them on.

These are legitimate points but here is where you'll find the difference between what you're saying, and what the people I'm responding to actually support/don't support. Almost none of them will condemn the actions of violence and destruction.

Shockingly, I actually support peaceful protests for the exact thing that they initially claimed to be about. There are issues that need to be address in police officers being held accountable for obvious crimes. However, the protests lose their legitimacy when crime and rioters are roaming rampant. They legitimate protesters should shut them down and purge them. But you know what? That doesn't happen, they are actually providing cover for them. And now, at this point, the original purpose for the protests has basically gone away and it's just devolved into general lawlessness.

But please, I encourage you to see how many who are supporting the protests will also condemn the violence and destruction.

Back
Top Bottom