• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Satirical show Spitting Image lampoons Ardern, New Zealand's latest lockdown

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Ardern's character, in a mountain setting, starts to sing a version of the film's 'Climb Every Mountain'.

"Close every border, lock every door, shut every airport, a guard on every floor.

"No more interaction, stay off the street, hide inside your basement staring at your feet.

"New Zealand is going to stay COVID free, and all because of wonderful me," Ardern sings.

Ardern's character, in a mountain setting, starts to sing a version of the film's 'Climb Every Mountain'.

"Close every border, lock every door, shut every airport, a guard on every floor.

"No more interaction, stay off the street, hide inside your basement staring at your feet.

"New Zealand is going to stay COVID free, and all because of wonderful me," Ardern sings.

Seems that the YouTube Ministry of Truth has ordered it made private or else.

It's gratifying to hear from a KIWI that they enjoy a bit of satire. I just read another article that this sort of satire by could never be done in NZ because of a prevailing "woke" mindset, hence it's origin in the UK.

To be honest, I don't know what to think of the current attitudes and values of the NZ people. Prior to my trip and 6 weeks van sojourn over North and South Island, I came away with conflicting impressions. In WWII my father's ship was based in Christ Church, he had an very pretty NZ girl friend, and really liked the people. A friend of mine traveled throughout NZ in the early 1980s and loved it, the locals being very nice and enthused to provide rides while he and his wife hitched hiked (even being invited by a driver and then taken to the drivers huge ranch for a stay).

However in Dec. of 2012 my own experiences were mixed. I found NZ officials and workers to be okay, if more reserved than in the US. I found that if I asked unusual questions about life or persons, it kind of threw them as odd or almost improper. (I cheerly asked one woman at a tourist info center what "attractions does the town offer" and she took it as an insult.).

In some places I found an edgyness... a very polite but unhumorous and cynical undertone. Don't get me wrong, most of the people were nice enough...and often friendly. But because I was an American it seemed that many wanted to steer the conversation to politics (which I tried to avoid) and took my subtle disagreement as stressful and serious.

Anyway, one incident sticks out in my mind. I was in a tavern in Nelson, and ended up in a conversation with a special education teacher. He really wanted to talk politics and spent much of the time wanting to tell me about how the NZ protest over nuclear energy and the break with the US over nuclear issues was the defining moment that made NZ a true country, one that established an identity by defying a superpower. He was disappointed that American's often don't know about this "defining moment", nor are most Americans interested (although I am).

I wanted to be plain spoken, but I feared he couldn't handle it. I wanted to ask "So you don't think Gallopi is in the NZ identity, or Anzio, North Africa, Korea or Vietnam?" and "So NZ's identity only exists as a reflection of its antipathy to the US and international hairpulling over a weapon and energy system totally irrelevant to the context of NZ's ?"

I didn't and played dumb...acted perplexed as to why this was so important and let it go.

It's gratifying to hear from a KIWI that they enjoy a bit of satire. I just read another article that this sort of satire by could never be done in NZ because of a prevailing "woke" mindset, hence it's origin in the UK.

To be honest, I don't know what to think of the current attitudes and values of the NZ people. Prior to my trip and 6 weeks van sojourn over North and South Island, I came away with conflicting impressions. In WWII my father's ship was based in Christ Church, he had an very pretty NZ girl friend, and really liked the people. A friend of mine traveled throughout NZ in the early 1980s and loved it, the locals being very nice and enthused to provide rides while he and his wife hitched hiked (even being invited by a driver and then taken to the drivers huge ranch for a stay).

However in Dec. of 2012 my own experiences were mixed. I found NZ officials and workers to be okay, if more reserved than in the US. I found that if I asked unusual questions about life or persons, it kind of threw them as odd or almost improper. (I cheerly asked one woman at a tourist info center what "attractions does the town offer" and she took it as an insult.).

In some places I found an edgyness... a very polite but unhumorous and cynical undertone. Don't get me wrong, most of the people were nice enough...and often friendly. But because I was an American it seemed that many wanted to steer the conversation to politics (which I tried to avoid) and took my subtle disagreement as stressful and serious.

Anyway, one incident sticks out in my mind. I was in a tavern in Nelson, and ended up in a conversation with a special education teacher. He really wanted to talk politics and spent much of the time wanting to tell me about how the NZ protest over nuclear energy and the break with the US over nuclear issues was the defining moment that made NZ a true country, one that established an identity by defying a superpower. He was disappointed that American's often don't know about this "defining moment", nor are most Americans interested (although I am).

I wanted to be plain spoken, but I feared he couldn't handle it. I wanted to ask "So you don't think Gallopi is in the NZ identity, or Anzio, North Africa, Korea or Vietnam?" and "So NZ's identity only exists as a reflection of its antipathy to the US and international hairpulling over a weapon and energy system totally irrelevant to the context of NZ's ?"

I didn't and played dumb...acted perplexed as to why this was so important and let it go.
Gallipoli is more quoted by Kiwis as one of its most defining nation building events. The anti nuclear legislation is more a defining move to international political independence. NZ still has close ties with the UK, Aus, USA, Canada in most international affairs or conflicts, but will quite noticeably make its own decisions on things, being willing to disagree with it's friends at times.

The "WMD" war in Iraq was a classic example. NZ did not believe the intelligence that was used to justify the war, so they refused to supply fighting troops. But because their friends were fighting in Iraq they sent medical teams and some defense (protection) personal initially, and trainers to help the Iraq people later on, who I believe onky recently left Iraq. On the other hand, NZ had troops in Afghanistan supporting the US for over 20 years, fought in Korea and Vietnam with the US, Malaysia with the Brits, and many other conflicts with the UN. Today they tend to follow the UN more than the US specific lead. Australia by comparison is very US centric. The traditional NZ tie to the UK was at least partially broken when the UK entered the European Common Market in the 1970's and massively reduced it's imports from NZ. The recent post Brexit trade deal between NZ and the UK may help restore that link a bit further.

Kiwi's (imo) are generally a very friendly and generous people, but more reserved than your average American. To them, the average American can seem overly loud and excessively expressive. Kiwi's are more prone to respecting the 'strong quiet type' rather than overly expressive. It is quite a cultural difference, and the long endemic "tall poppy syndrome" keeps it that way. They are also though generally conscious of being a pimple on the world pumpkin and like to discuss the outside world with foreign visitors. Their country is too small for them to not be aware of what is happening outside it and how that might affect them. Quite a diffetent outlook to a lot of Americans. Just be happy you weren't French and got to discuss the Rainbow Warrior.

Back
Top Bottom