• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Satellite data shows entire Conger ice shelf has collapsed in Antarctica

What does the last paragraph of the article cited in the OP say?
Actually should read the last 2 paragraphs:

Scientists are particularly concerned about the future of the Florida-sized Thwaites glacier – also nicknamed the “doomsday glacier” – which is around 100 times larger than Larsen B and contains enough water to raise sea levels globally by more than half a metre.

“The speed of the breakup of [the Conger] ice shelf reminds us that things can change quickly,” King said. “Our carbon emissions will have an impact in Antarctica, and Antarctica will come back to bite the rest of the world’s coastlines and it may happen faster than we think.”

Scientists are particularly concerned about the future of the Florida-sized Thwaites glacier – also nicknamed the “doomsday glacier” – which is around 100 times larger than Larsen B and contains enough water to raise sea levels globally by more than half a metre.

“The speed of the breakup of [the Conger] ice shelf reminds us that things can change quickly,” King said. “Our carbon emissions will have an impact in Antarctica, and Antarctica will come back to bite the rest of the world’s coastlines and it may happen faster than we think.”
There is a difference between measurements and subjective opinions of what will happen in the future.
An example might be the projected warming, there are plenty of people out there who would say that
future warming is locked into the system, but the most current research suggests that maximum warming is reached within
about 10 years of CO2 emission, meaning that only the emissions of the last 10 years are locked into future warming,
additional warming will require additional emissions!

There is a difference between measurements and subjective opinions of what will happen in the future.
An example might be the projected warming, there are plenty of people out there who would say that
future warming is locked into the system, but the most current research suggests that maximum warming is reached within
about 10 years of CO2 emission, meaning that only the emissions of the last 10 years are locked into future warming,
additional warming will require additional emissions!

One trick pony. Same totally ridiculous repetition as always.

Nasa scientist says complete collapse of ice shelf as big as Rome during unusually high temperatures is ‘sign of what might be coming’

An ice shelf about the size of Rome has completely collapsed in East Antarctica within days of record high temperatures, according to satellite data.

The Conger ice shelf, which had an approximate surface area of 1,200 sq km, collapsed around 15 March, scientists said on Friday.

East Antarctica saw unusually high temperatures last week, with Concordia station hitting a record temperature of -11.8C on 18 March, more than 40C warmer than seasonal norms. The record temperatures were the result of an atmospheric river that trapped heat over the continent.

Ice shelves are extensions of ice sheets that float over the ocean, playing an important role in restraining inland ice. Without them, inland ice flows faster into the ocean, resulting in sea level rise.

Run for the hills

I saw yesterday a documentary saying Canada is heating up faster than any other place on Earth.

I saw yesterday a documentary saying Canada is heating up faster than any other place on Earth.
Yeah, it's a feedback mechanism from melting ice and Canada has a lot of icy territory way up north. Ice is very reflective, sending a lot of the sun's energy back to space. As that ice melts, it exposes more land and water which absorbs more light than ice does, so more of the sun's energy is captured... which makes more ice melt and gathers more heat, and so on. It also works the other way, a cooling planet will see more ice form and reflect more energy, amplifying that cooling.

Back before 2008 when the GOP decided their culture war requires a reversal on climate change, you even had Republicans like Sarah Palin remarking on this:

Sarah Palin 2007 said:
"Scientific evidence shows many areas of Alaska are experiencing a warming trend. Many experts predict that Alaska, along with our northern latitude neighbors, will continue to warm at a faster pace than any other state, and the warming will continue for decades. Climate change is not just an environmental issue. It is also a social, cultural, and economic issue important to all Alaskans. As a result of this warming, coastal erosion, thawing permafrost, retreating sea ice, record forest fires, and other changes are affecting, and will continue to affect, the lifestyles and livelihoods of Alaskans. Alaska needs a strategy to identify and mitigate potential impacts of climate change and to guide its efforts in evaluating and addressing known or suspected causes of climate change."

In the leadup to the 2008 election, many high-profile Republicans behaved this way. Newt Gingrich did a big televised event sitting next to Nancy Pelosi talking about how we had to tackle this issue. Tim Pawlenty, Mike Huckabee, all their big contenders at the time talked about climate change. Then a Democrat took the white house and this Tea Party fiasco infected the GOP so they needed more points of division, and every last one of these people did a 180.

Sarah Palin 2013 said:
"Global warming my gluteus maximus."

Sad, really. We could have been doing a better job on this, and our grandchildren will pay the price for our lack of urgency.

So if all the floating sea ice in the world melted, how much would sea levels rise?

You made a claim which I refuted. Or provide evidence to counter the fact of my refuting your claim, regardless of how much the rise in sea level. Other than that, the point of debate is over.

You made a claim which I refuted. Or provide evidence to counter the fact of my refuting your claim, regardless of how much the rise in sea level. Other than that, the point of debate is over.
It your mind, and you did not answer the question!
If all the floating sea ice in the world melted how much would sea levels raise?

Nasa scientist says complete collapse of ice shelf as big as Rome during unusually high temperatures is ‘sign of what might be coming’

An ice shelf about the size of Rome has completely collapsed in East Antarctica within days of record high temperatures, according to satellite data.

The Conger ice shelf, which had an approximate surface area of 1,200 sq km, collapsed around 15 March, scientists said on Friday.

East Antarctica saw unusually high temperatures last week, with Concordia station hitting a record temperature of -11.8C on 18 March, more than 40C warmer than seasonal norms. The record temperatures were the result of an atmospheric river that trapped heat over the continent.

Ice shelves are extensions of ice sheets that float over the ocean, playing an important role in restraining inland ice. Without them, inland ice flows faster into the ocean, resulting in sea level rise.

What might be coming?

Have you, the Conger ice shelve, is floating ice!
The article explains what the issue is, and until you read that I'm gonna keep laughing at you. You keep trying to pass yourself off as this logical, informed person but you can't even read a simple article that very plainly explains why this can contribute to sea level rise.

The article explains what the issue is, and until you read that I'm gonna keep laughing at you. You keep trying to pass yourself off as this logical, informed person but you can't even read a simple article that very plainly explains why this can contribute to sea level rise.
Except, I had read the article, It is mostly scientist speculating about how this event COULD be something.
“It won’t have huge effects, most likely, but it’s a sign of what might be coming,” Walker said.

Please explain it in your own words, then I will tell you why you are wrong.

Who trusts The Guardian to accurately tell you what scientists say?

Consider this about floating ice. If I have a car that weighs two tones, and I try to push it by hand sideways on the street, do you think I can do that?

Now if I have a boat that weighs two tons floating on water, and I push it sideways, will I move it or not?

FLOATING ICE DOES NOT MATTER!

Floating ice does not keep glacier ice from flowing.

You think you're qualified to say when the debate is over?

You know, if you walk away, many arenas call that disqualification, and the other guy wins.

Another prediction to check off the list…

Oh my god have any right wingers actually read the article?
Read an article by The Guardian?

Are you insane? I can't speak for the others, but I don't read such tripe.

Have a valid source?

Back
Top Bottom