• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Satanic temple installs display at Illinois Capitol

We are free to practice but only one religion holds sway in the US and that is christianity.

"in God We Trust" is on our national currency
"God Bless America" is the unofficial national anthem
Pledge of Allegiance -- one nation under god
When was the last time we had someone other than a christian as president?
The Senate chaplain opens the session each day with prayer -- Throughout the years, the United States Senate has honored the historic separation of Church and State, but not the separation of God and State. ...all sessions of the Senate have been opened with prayer, strongly affirming the Senate's faith in God as Sovereign Lord of our Nation https://www.senate.gov/reference/office/chaplain.htm

Please don't suggest that the god mentioned in all this could be any god of any religion because only a fool would believe it encompasses Allah, Shiva, or even Baphomet. If the gods of all religions were to be included, the wording would be amended to acknowledge that in some way. And no, by that I don't mean that the name of every god of every religion should be mentioned. We are far removed from the secular nation we are supposed to be.
They are traditional from times when we were an almost exclusive judeo-Christian population
The United States remains a predominantly Christian nation still, although unaffiliated is growing
  • Protestant (42%)
  • Catholic (21%)
  • Mormon (2%)
  • Unaffiliated (18%)
  • Atheist (5%)
  • Agnostic (6%)
  • Jewish (1%)
  • Muslim (1%

read the link

Don’t have to. I’ve seen extensive research on this topic. The Bible is explicitly pro-slavery in the beginning, milquetoast regarding it at the end, and never condemns it at all unless the slaves in question are Hebrews, and even then Hebrews held as slaves *by other Hebrews* is cool with genocidal tyrant in the sky.

why are displays intended to stop those displays and make our government be secular “evil”?
At least you'rs admitting the purpose here. Good.

What I don't understand is why an organization committed to religious freedom is all pissed off about a Christian display in the public area of the statehouse? 70% of Illinois is Christian. There's also a Hannukah display. Freedom. So why the need to stop it? Seems ironic.

At least you'rs admitting the purpose here. Good.

What I don't understand is why an organization committed to religious freedom is all pissed off about a Christian display in the public area of the statehouse? 70% of Illinois is Christian. There's also a Hannukah display. Freedom. So why the need to stop it? Seems ironic.

Because the government should be secular. It shouldn’t be showing favoritism at all to any religion. The easiest way to do that is not have any displays. But if they are going to have one display, they have to allow all displays regardless of how many members of the citizenry are from that religion.

Because the government should be secular. It shouldn’t be showing favoritism at all to any religion. The easiest way to do that is not have any displays. But if they are going to have one display, they have to allow all displays regardless of how many members of the citizenry are from that religion.
There are important ways that government should stay out of religion, I agree. Like funding private religious schools, banning abortion, removing LGBTQ books from school libraries, etc. Then there are stupid ways. Christmas is the biggest national holiday of the year, and people decorate.

Maybe a nativity scene is going a bit far for a state house, but Illinois says that part of their Capitol is public property, not state property. So it's not the state making the display. I'd be happy with garland, holly and a big tree full of lights. Would that make them happy?

There are important ways that government should stay out of religion, I agree. Like funding private religious schools, banning abortion, removing LGBTQ books from school libraries, etc. Then there are stupid ways. Christmas is the biggest national holiday of the year, and people decorate.

Maybe a nativity scene is going a bit far for a state house, but Illinois says that part of their Capitol is public property, not state property. So it's not the state making the display. I'd be happy with garland, holly and a big tree full of lights. Would that make them happy?

And the version of Christmas celebrated by most of the country has nothing to do with Christianity. It’s an almost entirely secular holiday.

Having a Christmas tree, a largely secular symbol, will not bother most people. So why insist on a nativity display?

And the version of Christmas celebrated by most of the country has nothing to do with Christianity. It’s an almost entirely secular holiday.

Having a Christmas tree, a largely secular symbol, will not bother most people. So why insist on a nativity display?
Amazingly, 40 state houses host nativity scenes. I guess they better get busy making more Baby Baphonets.

Amazingly, 40 state houses host nativity scenes. I guess they better get busy making more Baby Baphonets.

And displays to honor Thor, Ra, and Jupiter.

Back
Top Bottom