• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SAS Trooper in legal trouble for gifted Glock

ric27

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
British Special Forces Soldier Jailed Over Possession Of Gifted Iraqi Firearm - Business Insider

The wife of SAS soldier Danny Nightingale talks about the impact her husband's courtmartial has had on the family.

Sally Nightingale is a woman who knows the meaning both of loyalty and sacrifice.

As the wife of an SAS soldier, she learned to live with the knowledge that a knock on the door could bring news of her husband’s death.

But she never complained and instead stood by her husband as he took part in secret operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, risking everything in the service of his government and country.

In six years of marriage, the couple has effectively spent three years apart.

Today, as the nation remembers its fallen heroes, she is wondering whether the worry, the pain and the sacrifice have been worth anything, as her husband languishes inside, a military prison, his career and future in tatters.

Wow

Imagine anyone being stuck on a some island where possession of a pistol is a crime

Handguns have been banned in Britain since before he joined the army, so he of all people should have known better. Having said that, he suffered a traumatic brain injury around that time, and claims to have forgotten. (Presumably he knew he had an illegal gun before he forgot!) As usual, there's a lot more background to the story.
Someone else, who not only had a gun, but stole ammunition for it was fined £1500, while he was jailed for a lesser crime, and there's some tension between him and the sevice too.

SAS war hero tells of his disbelief at being jailed - Telegraph

This is preposterous!

Free Danny Nightingale now!

He broke the law, and now expects his service record to merit his release? Don't think so.

He screwed up, got caught, lied about the gun, and got busted.

He has nobody to blame except himself.

He broke the law, and now expects his service record to merit his release? Don't think so.

He screwed up, got caught, lied about the gun, and got busted.

He has nobody to blame except himself.

True, though it an example of how stupid the law is.

True, though it an example of how stupid the law is.
Oh, I completely agree!

GB gun laws are pathetically restrictive, but he is a citizen, and knew the rules.

It would be nice to see increased public awareness relax their gun laws from this case, though.

There's no public pressure, there never was much of a handgun ownership culture here, (among the law abiding) so criminals tend not to feel the need to carry either, except perhaps for drug gangs to protect themselves from each other. As I said before there's more to this story then meets the eye, and the emotive flagwaving "patriot veteran wronged" is a fairly transparent attempt to stir up public support.

Oh, I completely agree!

GB gun laws are pathetically restrictive, but he is a citizen, and knew the rules.

It would be nice to see increased public awareness relax their gun laws from this case, though.

They are restrictive for a reason. Guns Kill People, alongside the cramped conditions of the UK, having guns legalised would result in a rise in crime and shootings. Britain also has to compley with the EU policy on Guns.

They are restrictive for a reason. Guns Kill People, alongside the cramped conditions of the UK, having guns legalised would result in a rise in crime and shootings. Britain also has to compley with the EU policy on Guns.

People still believe this propaganda:shock:

That's like the belief people had back in the day of the earth being flat:lamo

He did break the law though. It does suck pistols are outlawed. He should have known that.

People still believe this propaganda:shock:

That's like the belief people had back in the day of the earth being flat:lamo

Do Guns Kill People or do they not? Britain has two pieces of Legislation to deal with when it comes to Guns, the legislation imposed by the Government and the EU. The 1997 Firearms Act for example, The only times you can have a gun in Britain is in the middle of nowhere, and shooting game (i.e only the rich have guns)

"there is little wider political debate, and no strong public opposition to control. The United Kingdom historically had one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world even before gun control legislation became stricter from the late twentieth century.In The United Kingdom there are 0.22 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0,"

Spare me the hyperbole.

Automobiles, especially coupled with excessive alcohol intake, kill many more people than guns in both the US and GB, but nobody worries about them.

Do Guns Kill People or do they not? Britain has two pieces of Legislation to deal with when it comes to Guns, the legislation imposed by the Government and the EU. The 1997 Firearms Act for example, The only times you can have a gun in Britain is in the middle of nowhere, and shooting game (i.e only the rich have guns)

"there is little wider political debate, and no strong public opposition to control. The United Kingdom historically had one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world even before gun control legislation became stricter from the late twentieth century.In The United Kingdom there are 0.22 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0,"

Do guns kill people?

Let us take a look at the definition of a gun. gun - definition of gun by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

1. A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory.

A gun is a weapon, correct? Let us look at a few other weapons used by men.

Sword
Knife
Spear
Bow & Arrow
Sling & Stone

Can any of these weapons, including the gun, kill a person by themselves? Did people ever say "Swords/Knives/Spears/Bows/Slings kill people."?

OF COURSE NOT!

"People use guns to kill people", not "Guns kill people".

The phrase "Guns kill People" is just political rhetoric used to mislead the public. It makes as much sense if I would say "Rocks kill people."

Spare me the hyperbole.

Automobiles, especially coupled with excessive alcohol intake, kill many more people than guns in both the US and GB, but nobody worries about them.

Spare me the hyperbole. They do worry, that's why there are drink-drive laws. The British tend to rely on a breathalyser rather than the ritual humiliation by the roadside that the US goes for, but prosecution is similar. Traffic deaths are a side effect of personal mobility, cars are not built to kill. That is the purpose of a gun.

Spare me the hyperbole. They do worry, that's why there are drink-drive laws. The British tend to rely on a breathalyser rather than the ritual humiliation by the roadside that the US goes for, but prosecution is similar. Traffic deaths are a side effect of personal mobility, cars are not built to kill. That is the purpose of a gun.

Why does no one say, "Cars Kill People" than?

Do guns kill people?

Let us take a look at the definition of a gun. gun - definition of gun by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

1. A weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is fired at high velocity into a relatively flat trajectory.

A gun is a weapon, correct? Let us look at a few other weapons used by men.

Sword
Knife
Spear
Bow & Arrow
Sling & Stone

Can any of these weapons, including the gun, kill a person by themselves? Did people ever say "Swords/Knives/Spears/Bows/Slings kill people."?

OF COURSE NOT!

"People use guns to kill people", not "Guns kill people".

The phrase "Guns kill People" is just political rhetoric used to mislead the public. It makes as much sense if I would say "Rocks kill people."

Yes but its the idiots who don't respect the lethality of a gun which cause it to become illegal.

Spare me the hyperbole.

Spare you the facts?

Yes but its the idiots who don't respect the lethality of a gun which cause it to become illegal.
Nope, it's the people who don't learn subject matter and pass knee jerk laws that cause it to become illegal. No one talks of banning anything else due to misuse, and misuse of many other items causes more deaths as has well been pointed out.

Spare you the facts?

They fact was you crying 'guns kill people' which you spin into hyperbole.

Just because you are scared to death of guns does not make them evil.

There are a least a dozen tools on this farm that I can use to kill - but I do not walk around in wide-eyed fear.

I respect the use of these tools, including guns, and know how to use them.

I am sure there is more to this story, too. I wonder if the gun was gifted or looted. There has always been restrictive regulations/laws about stuff mailed home from a combat zone. In the end, too bad about he career, but he knew the gun laws in his home country.

Update

BBC News - SAS man Danny Nightingale released by Court of Appeal

Sgt Danny Nightingale, from Crewe, admitted possessing the 9mm Glock pistol and 338 rounds of ammunition at a court martial earlier this month.

The judges heard Nightingale had forgotten he had the gun and cut his sentence to 12 months and suspended it.

Walking free from court, he thanked his family for "their trust and support".

He paid tribute to his wife Sally, 38, who cried when the verdict was delivered.

I know nothing about British military law, but if it is like here his career is over for the CM convection alone. Unless it is set aside in US military law or changed to not guilty a US military person would have a felony conviction, would not be allowed to reinlist. It sounded like they just set aside his brig time. Whoopie.

I respect the use of these tools, including guns, and know how to use them.

Thats the problem. Most people in Britain are unfamiliar with guns and dont know how to use them, so as a result dont respect them.

Thats the problem. Most people in Britain are unfamiliar with guns and dont know how to use them, so as a result dont respect them.
So keep them disarmed and ignorant? Makes no sense.

So keep them disarmed and ignorant? Makes no sense.

"In 1987, 27-year-old Michael Ryan, armed with two semi-automatic rifles (a Type 56 sporter, and an M1 carbine), and a Beretta 92 pistol, dressed in combat fatigues and proceeded around the town of Hungerford killing 16 people, wounding fifteen and shooting himself," That alongside many other reasons is why guns are banned in the UK. The Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 baned guns in the uk nearly completly (Ironically its the "second amendment" banning guns ;) ) The Uk public has done fine without guns and will continue to do so. Unlike the USA, the UK wasn't founded on Libertarian principles and therefore legislation has generally been socially Conservative.

Back
Top Bottom