• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sarah Raskin withdraws Federal Reserve nomination after Joe Manchin blocks Biden pick

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Sarah Bloom Raskin withdrew her name from consideration for the seven-member Federal Reserve board on Tuesday, citing “relentless attacks by special interests.”

Raskin’s decision to withdraw her candidacy comes one day after moderate Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said he opposed the nomination, effectively killing Raskin’s chances at confirmation.

Raskin, the wife of Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), informed President Biden of her decision in a letter, blaming Republicans who she said had “held hostage” her nomination and those of four others to the Fed board.

===========
This was a climate bill. Manchin owns a coal mine that makes him rich. A little conflict?

If you want Biden’s domestic agenda to get passed, elect two more progressive senators. That’s all there is to it.

Holding a House majority would seem to be required as well.

Sarah Bloom Raskin withdrew her name from consideration for the seven-member Federal Reserve board on Tuesday, citing “relentless attacks by special interests.”

Raskin’s decision to withdraw her candidacy comes one day after moderate Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said he opposed the nomination, effectively killing Raskin’s chances at confirmation.

Raskin, the wife of Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), informed President Biden of her decision in a letter, blaming Republicans who she said had “held hostage” her nomination and those of four others to the Fed board.

===========
This was a climate bill. Manchin owns a coal mine that makes him rich. A little conflict?
Manchin is a progressive only in his outer layers. How can a coal mine operator moph into a progressive?

===========
Isn't it time for Ms. Harris to resign, Mr. Biden to nominate Mr. Manchin for V-P, then for Mr. Biden to resign and for both houses to adjourn sine die so that Mr. Manchin can get on with being the King of the United States of America?

Isn't it time for Ms. Harris to resign, Mr. Biden to nominate Mr. Manchin for V-P, then for Mr. Biden to resign and for both houses to adjourn sine die so that Mr. Manchin can get on with being the King of the United States of America?
Swing votes matter it seems. It is rather alarming that there is so much teeth gnashing when the agenda of a very minor majority cannot get things passed.
Want to get things passed? Want things with OVERWHELMING support.

Swing votes matter it seems. It is rather alarming that there is so much teeth gnashing when the agenda of a very minor majority cannot get things passed.
Want to get things passed? Want things with OVERWHELMING support.
Unfortunately the current overall rule is "If the Democrats propose it, the Republicans oppose it (even if the Republicans proposed it first).".

The specific rule here is "If the Democrats propose it, Sen Manchin opposes it (even if Sen. Manchin said that he supported it when he proposed it)".

Unfortunately the current overall rule is "If the Democrats propose it, the Republicans oppose it (even if the Republicans proposed it first).".

The specific rule here is "If the Democrats propose it, Sen Manchin opposes it (even if Sen. Manchin said that he supported it when he proposed it)".
They have yet to propose something that a sizeable majority wants. Until they do, we cannot test your theory.

Tax cuts to the middle class ought to do the ticket.

They have yet to propose something that a sizeable majority wants. Until they do, we cannot test your theory.

Tax cuts to the middle class ought to do the ticket.
Politically there is no "sizeable majority" in the United States of America.

The Republicans might just support that PROVIDED that:

[1] the tax cuts were of limited duration and were of a statistically insignificant amount;​
and​
[2] the tax cuts were accompanied by permanent and even larger tax cuts for the wealthy;​
and​
[3] government spending was reduced in non-essential areas like social security and medicare to off set the decline in revenues​
and​
[4] it wasn't proposed by the Democrats.​

Politically there is no "sizeable majority" in the United States of America.
Sure there is, it just isn't split into easily defined groups such as D and R. Independents/Centrists blow whichever way the wind favors them.
The Republicans might just support that PROVIDED that:

[1] the tax cuts were of limited duration and were of a statistically insignificant amount;​
and​
[2] the tax cuts were accompanied by permanent and even larger tax cuts for the wealthy;​
Not necessary to garner enough popular support.
and​
[3] government spending was reduced in non-essential areas like social security and medicare to off set the decline in revenues​
Correct.
and​
[4] it wasn't proposed by the Democrats.​
Hasn't been tried.

So here we are again with another theory but no means to test it!

Sure there is, it just isn't split into easily defined groups such as D and R. Independents/Centrists blow whichever way the wind favors them.
Sorry, I took you to mean a group that had some cohesion and unity of vision rather than that you were referring simply to a gaggle of cheaply bought, low information, easily propagandized, and fickle people.
Not necessary to garner enough popular support.
You appear to think that the Republican Party is actually concerned about anything that ensuring that [1] if gets into power, [2] it stays in power, [3] it provides goodies for its financial benefactors, and [4] it keeps "Those People" in their place if they even think about getting uppity. [NOTE - "Those People" is a fungible definition and applies to whichever sub-group of the American people the largest amount of Americans can be persuaded to think of as "Those People".]
Correct.

Hasn't been tried.

So here we are again with another theory but no means to test it!
You do know that "Obamacare" - strenuously resisted by the Republicans - is merely a variant of "Romney-care" which was supported by the Republicans, don't you?

You do know that, when the Democrats opposed the appointment of a justice of the Supreme Court extremely late in Mr. Trump's term of office on the grounds that when it was that late in the President's term then the incoming President should have the opportunity to make the nomination, the Republicans took issue with that position even though it was one that they had, themselves, championed - don't you?

I'd say that the proposition "The Republicans will oppose anything proposed by the Democrats EVEN IF the Republicans had made the same proposal themselves." has been validated.

===========
Not only is she a hater of anything conservative, she is too damned ugly to be there. What is it with Democrats that they all either look like Mr. Ed or poodles?

Sorry, I took you to mean a group that had some cohesion and unity of vision rather than that you were referring simply to a gaggle of cheaply bought, low information, easily propagandized, and fickle people.
Ha, it's funny you say that because that group, the one you toss away, is likely to be the MOST educated, well informed group of them all.
You appear to think that the Republican Party is actually concerned about anything that ensuring that [1] if gets into power, [2] it stays in power, [3] it provides goodies for its financial benefactors, and [4] it keeps "Those People" in their place if they even think about getting uppity. [NOTE - "Those People" is a fungible definition and applies to whichever sub-group of the American people the largest amount of Americans can be persuaded to think of as "Those People".]
I'm under no illusions about the Republican party, I wish I could say the same about a lot of you with the Democratic party.
You do know that "Obamacare" - strenuously resisted by the Republicans - is merely a variant of "Romney-care" which was supported by the Republicans, don't you?
Sure, but what does that say about the issues that I brought up? Not a whole lot.
You do know that, when the Democrats opposed the appointment of a justice of the Supreme Court extremely late in Mr. Trump's term of office on the grounds that when it was that late in the President's term then the incoming President should have the opportunity to make the nomination, the Republicans took issue with that position even though it was one that they had, themselves, championed - don't you?
Yes, but ti seems that all you have to talk about is the hypocrisy rampant across both parties, in politics. I mean, Duh!
I'd say that the proposition "The Republicans will oppose anything proposed by the Democrats EVEN IF the Republicans had made the same proposal themselves." has been validated.
For a good many things, I am sure that holds true. Those are not the things I was discussing. I was discussing things that would help 70% of the population, not a mere 25% or 50%

Ha, it's funny you say that because that group, the one you toss away, is likely to be the MOST educated, well informed group of them all.
Dream on.
I'm under no illusions about the Republican party, I wish I could say the same about a lot of you with the Democratic party.
Strangely enough, I'm not a big fan of the Democratic Party either. Of course, the difference between a Republican politician and a Democrat politician is pretty much the difference between a really, sleazy, egotistical, self-serving, hypocrite and a sleazy, egotistical, self-serving, hypocrite. Mind you, I am quite willing to admit that there are those who consider that that difference is reversed.
Sure, but what does that say about the issues that I brought up? Not a whole lot.
Well, if I can't explain it to you, then I doubt that you do want it explained.
Yes, but ti seems that all you have to talk about is the hypocrisy rampant across both parties, in politics. I mean, Duh!
Did you know that, in some countries, politicians regard the "planks" (to use an American term) in their platform as something more than useful election rhetoric and where they actually do work to implement them?
For a good many things, I am sure that holds true. Those are not the things I was discussing. I was discussing things that would help 70% of the population, not a mere 25% or 50%
If "Party A" KNEW that "Measure X" would help 70% of the population BUT would reduce their electoral chances, then "Party A" would oppose it and do everything in its power to convince the populace that "Measure X" was a part of some huge, secret, hidden, enormous, conspiracy on the part of the _[u[[fill in the blank][/u]_ to destroy America.

"Party A" would be successful in persuading enough of the "independents" to believe them to maintain their electoral chances.

===========

Why is the Federal Reserve nomination considered to be "Climate Bill"?

How is opposition from a Democrat cause to blame Republicans?

Wait... a Democrat opposes their nomination and they blame Republicans? Sounds delusional.

Dream on.

Strangely enough, I'm not a big fan of the Democratic Party either. Of course, the difference between a Republican politician and a Democrat politician is pretty much the difference between a really, sleazy, egotistical, self-serving, hypocrite and a sleazy, egotistical, self-serving, hypocrite. Mind you, I am quite willing to admit that there are those who consider that that difference is reversed.

Well, if I can't explain it to you, then I doubt that you do want it explained.

Did you know that, in some countries, politicians regard the "planks" (to use an American term) in their platform as something more than useful election rhetoric and where they actually do work to implement them?

If "Party A" KNEW that "Measure X" would help 70% of the population BUT would reduce their electoral chances, then "Party A" would oppose it and do everything in its power to convince the populace that "Measure X" was a part of some huge, secret, hidden, enormous, conspiracy on the part of the _[u[[fill in the blank][/u]_ to destroy America.

"Party A" would be successful in persuading enough of the "independents" to believe them to maintain their electoral chances.
A lot of words to say that we happen to agree about a lot of these same issues.
It would also be my hope that if (when?) we find one of those issues that garner 70% across the board support, the people, would hold their politicians feet to the fire and NOT let it go. The people are key, as are the MSM that are currently fractured and beholden to one party or the other.

In fact, it just happened. A measure passed the Senate yesterday or day before with UNANIMOUS support.
Granted, the issue was simply staying on daylight savings but I know that it CAN happen.

If you want Biden’s domestic agenda to get passed, elect two more progressive senators. That’s all there is to it.
Nobody likes Biden's agenda that's why his approval ratings plummeted to single digits in less than a year into his junta

Nobody likes Biden's agenda that's why his approval ratings plummeted to single digits in less than a year into his junta
You seem to be unclear on the meaning of "single digits." Alternately, it's possible you meant that a digit, by itself, is single. So when you go to 538 and see that his approval is 42.2%, it it would indeed be accurate to say that his approval is single digits. Three single digits, to be clear, but single digits just the same.

Back
Top Bottom