• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist[W:260]

Re: Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist

Absolutely...

And why would anybody care about Bill Nye?

Apparently Sarah Palin does. But of course what you really mean is "I find Nye's opinion politically inconvenient, therefore he's dumb."

I think the criticism is well founded. You're just butthurt because Palin is always making your side look dumb. Defending her isn't helping that, btw.
The Goofies said "Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist" and she is correct. And you're making the claim that it is 'my side' who looks dumb?

'My side', if there was such a thing, is with the people who are correct. You seem to be taking the same position as Los Stupidoes!

Bill Nye is a engineer, not a scientist.So Palin is actually a correct.A broken clock is right twice a day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist
Scientists are also distinct from engineers, those who design, build, and maintain devices for particular situations; however, no engineer attains that title without significant study of science and the scientific method.

not even close to correct as he doesnt claim to be a scientist. you are wandering out in the bushes trying to defend stupid.

Apparently Sarah Palin does. But of course what you really mean is "I find Nye's opinion politically inconvenient, therefore he's dumb."

You seem to have backed yourself into a corner, misled by the words "Sarah Palin." She was of course correct in the matter of Mr. Nye, and you are now trapped on the wrong side.

No...that is not what I "really mean". I don't give any more of a rat's ass about his opinion...political or otherwise...than I do about Palin's opinion.

not even close to correct as he doesnt claim to be a scientist. you are wandering out in the bushes trying to defend stupid.
Then Sarah Palin is still correct and this thread was begun by someone who seems to think Bill Nye is a scientist. You may want to respond to his OP..

No...that is not what I "really mean". I don't give any more of a rat's ass about his opinion...political or otherwise...than I do about Palin's opinion.
That's not important. He'll still define what you "really mean".

Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.
- Theodore von Kármán

An apt description of Bill Nye...the engineer.

The Goofies said "Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist" and she is correct. And you're making the claim that it is 'my side' who looks dumb?

'My side', if there was such a thing, is with the people who are correct. You seem to be taking the same position as Los Stupidoes!

Doesn't matter what games you want to play with definitions.

People like Nye support science.

People like Palin deny science.

Defend Palin all you want, it only makes your positions look as foolish as they deserve to be.

Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.
- Theodore von Kármán

An apt description of Bill Nye...the engineer.
So he should refer to himself as "Bill Nye, The Engineer Guy".

Well, as I pointed out before, discovery of new knowledge is the most stringent definition of scientist.

The OED says:
scientist
Pronunciation: /ˈsīən(t)əst/
NOUN

A person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.

I thnk that might cover Nye pretty well. He certainly has expert knowledge in science communication.
I also see he is an advisor to the AAAS, as well as the Executive Director and VP of the Planetary Society, which funds astronomers to do original research. Choosing which projects to fund is a scientific challenge by itself, of course.
He's also been a member of the Mars Athena exploration team, which probably involved a bit of scientific expertise and generated new knowledge, as well as holding three patents, which are certainly new knowlege.

So is he 'no more of a scientist than Sarah Palin'? Yeah. I think so.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/223467802/Bill-Nye-CV

But feel free to expand upon your losing position. Its always good for a laugh.

Doesn't matter what games you want to play with definitions.

People like Nye support science.

People like Palin deny science.

Defend Palin all you want, it only makes your positions look as foolish as they deserve to be.

He's not playing with definitions, he's responding to the thread as you are not. Palin said Nye is not a scientist and she was correct.

Not many scientists agree that 'dissenters' should be jailed. He doesn't seem to mind them being called 'war criminals' either. Bill Nye open to criminal charges, jail time for climate-change dissenters - Washington Times

And leftists think Sarah Palin is odd?

Indeed. Is anyone else struck with the impression that fundamental to science is the challenging of previous assumptions and conclusions?

Funny that in science it is, except for when that science speaks to liberal ideology, and then it's heretical to even question it, now to be punishable by imprisonment and penalties?

Yeah, funny how that works. Must be that famous 'liberal tolerance' that we've heard so much about, but have yet to see, or something.

Doesn't matter what games you want to play with definitions. People like Nye support science. People like Palin deny science. Defend Palin all you want, it only makes your positions look as foolish as they deserve to be.
Hey Booger! Good to see you again! Still holding on to that job?

She is a high profile surrogate of Trump. All of her public appearances for him make her a public political figure, wouldn't you say?

I'd even guess that she could potentially end up in His cabinet.

What an incredibly scary, if not repulsive, thought. Remind me not to vote for Trump...

I was kind of hoping the Trump would pick his cabinet through the new NBC series: White House Apprentice.

So he should refer to himself as "Bill Nye, The Engineer Guy".

With a subtitle... "Creating the World That has Never Been."

He's not playing with definitions, he's responding to the thread as you are not. Palin said Nye is not a scientist and she was correct.

Her statement was:

“Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am,” Palin said at an event in Washington, D.C., according to The Hill. “He’s a kids’ show actor; he’s not a scientist.”

I posted his CV. He's been on the board of granting institutions. He has patents to his name. He's served as a professsor at Cornell, educating college students on scientific topics.

I'm pretty sure that makes the quote about as false as it can get, but as the OP pointed out, pathetic defenses will not quit, will they!

Sarah Palin is proving herself to be a moron of the highest order.
fify
Sarah Palin is proving herself to be a moron of the lowest order.

Well, as I pointed out before, discovery of new knowledge is the most stringent definition of scientist.

The OED says:

I thnk that might cover Nye pretty well. He certainly has expert knowledge in science communication.
I also see he is an advisor to the AAAS, as well as the Executive Director and VP of the Planetary Society, which funds astronomers to do original research. Choosing which projects to fund is a scientific challenge by itself, of course.
He's also been a member of the Mars Athena exploration team, which probably involved a bit of scientific expertise and generated new knowledge, as well as holding three patents, which are certainly new knowlege.

So is he 'no more of a scientist than Sarah Palin'? Yeah. I think so.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/223467802/Bill-Nye-CV

But feel free to expand upon your losing position. Its always good for a laugh.
He has an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. Scientists Who Are Actually Really Stupid #2: Bill Nye - Breitbart

Bill Nye, Bill Nye, Bill Nye the Science Guy.

I used to run home from school just to watch him do his fascinating experiments.

And then one day I hired him to come to my house in real life.

But then one day he died and appeared before me as Obi-Wan.

Oh wait...that was Sheldon Cooper running home to watch Mr. Science, etc..

I gotta get out more.

Her statement was:

“Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am,” Palin said at an event in Washington, D.C., according to The Hill. “He’s a kids’ show actor; he’s not a scientist.”

I posted his CV. He's been on the board of granting institutions. He has patents to his name. He's served as a professsor at Cornell, educating college students on scientific topics.

I'm pretty sure that makes the quote about as false as it can get, but as the OP pointed out, pathetic defenses will not quit, will they!
Perhaps following your suggestion of Bill Nye being a 'scientist' , rather than a mechanical engineer, the case could be made that Sarah Palin is a scientist also, though a political scientist of course. She did serve as Governor of Alaska, was selected to run as VP of the USA, is a best selling author, and hosted her own TV program also.

Her CV is actually more impressive than Bill Nye's but she's not claiming to be a scientist. Instead, as are many, she's laughing at 'Bill Nye, the Goofy Guy'. He's actually an 'anti -science' guy btw.

Sarah Palin Doesn't Think Bill Nye Is A Real Scientist

I can't even....

Let the pathetic defenses begin!

Hmmmm, let's see now. If I had to choose between Palin or Nye to teach my kids about anything related to science or math, which would be the one to pick?

One can be technically correct about someone or something and still use it in some pretentious way.

Palin said "I can see Russia from my house". Was she "technically correct"? She claims so.

Palin is well known for making supercilious remarks. Regardless of whether Nye is "officially" a scientist or not, he pisses out more scientific knowledge everyday than Palin has ever known - or learned or has the capacity to learn.

Hmmmm, let's see now. If I had to choose between Palin or Nye to teach my kids about anything related to science or math, which would be the one to pick?

One can be technically correct about someone or something and still use it in some pretentious way.

Palin said "I can see Russia from my house". Was she "technically correct"? She claims so.

Palin is well known for making supercilious remarks. Regardless of whether Nye is "officially" a scientist or not, he pisses out more scientific knowledge everyday than Palin has ever known - or learned or has the capacity to learn.

Holy **** dude, you're smarter than that. Palin never said that, Tina Fey playing her on SNL did. :lamo

Sarah Palin: 'I Can See Russia from My House' : snopes.com

Back
Top Bottom