• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sarah Palin coins ‘word of the year,’ books boffo cable debut

Saboteur

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ugh :roll:

Sarah Palin coins ‘word of the year,’ books boffo cable debut - Yahoo! News

"The former governor used the word in a Twitter message last summer, calling on "peaceful Muslims" to "refudiate" a planned mosque near the site of the 9/11 attacks in New York. When critics pounced on the made-up verb, Palin deleted the Tweet and replaced it with one that called on Muslims to "refute" the site — even though that usage made no sense, either, since to refute is to prove something to be untrue.

But in a release today, the New Oxford American Dictionary defended Palin's use of the word. "From a strictly lexical interpretation of the different contexts in which Palin has used 'refudiate,' we have concluded that neither 'refute' nor 'repudiate' seems consistently precise, and that 'refudiate' more or less stands on its own, suggesting a general sense of 'reject,' " the New Oxford American Dictionary said in a press release."

Yeah I want her running the country, bleh!

I think we already have an adequate word - renounce or repudiate which she probably meant to say but was to stupid.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/renounce

re·nounce verb \ri-ˈnau̇n(t)s\
re·nouncedre·nounc·ing
Definition of RENOUNCEtransitive verb
1: to give up, refuse, or resign usually by formal declaration <renounce his errors>
2: to refuse to follow, obey, or recognize any further : repudiate <renounce the authority of the church>
intransitive verb

1: to make a renunciation
2: to fail to follow suit in a card game
— re·nounce·ment\-ˈnau̇n(t)s-mənt\ noun
— re·nounc·er noun
Examples of RENOUNCE
Many of his former supporters have renounced him.
He renounced his old way of life.

Last edited:
I think we already have an adequate word - renounce or repudiate which she probably meant to say but was to stupid.
:lamo

Just gotta point out the irony here ...

I wouldn't vote for her irregardless of her vocabulary.

Doubt that anyone that voted for Obama has a lot of room to talk about Palin's qualifications to be President. Obama supporters seem to buy his rhetoric which they valued higher than his resume and now even more than his results. I would take Palin in a heartbeat over the empty suit we have in the WH.

Doubt that anyone that voted for Obama has a lot of room to talk about Palin's qualifications to be President. Obama supporters seem to buy his rhetoric which they valued higher than his resume and now even more than his results. I would take Palin in a heartbeat over the empty suit we have in the WH.
... and the joke went right over his head.

Doubt that anyone that voted for Obama has a lot of room to talk about Palin's qualifications to be President.

Speaking of room to talk... shutup. Sarah Palin is a barbie who plays the "I'm just like you" game for disaffected Americans who have a lack of understanding of what exactly running a country entails.

Obama supporters seem to buy his rhetoric which they valued higher than his resume and now even more than his results.

He inherited a presidency following an 8 year period that may have set in motion the end of American greatness. Eat that one.

I would take Palin in a heartbeat over the empty suit we have in the WH.

That empty suit is probably trying to run this country with both hands tied behind his back by thugs with interests in controlling the government to their business ends. He does not want to end up crossing someone and getting ----- politically destroyed.

That empty suit is probably trying to run this country with both hands tied behind his back by thugs with interests in controlling the government to their business ends. He does not want to end up crossing someone and getting ----- politically destroyed.

So, you're saying his political career is more important than properly running the country? Tell us somethig we don't already know.

BTW, how many words has Obama invented? ;)

... and the joke went right over his head.

Unfortunately the American people are experiencing the joke that the majority elected in the WH. Those that voted for Barack Obama have no businesses focusing on anyone else's rhetoric or qualifications for President. Obama made qualifications irrelevant.

Unfortunately the American people are experiencing the joke that the majority elected in the WH. Those that voted for Barack Obama have no businesses focusing on anyone else's rhetoric or qualifications for President. Obama made qualifications irrelevant.
Who here is defending Obama? I'm not.

Wanna try for a topical reply?

So, you're saying his political career is more important than properly running the country? Tell us somethig we don't already know.

BTW, how many words has Obama invented? ;)

Barack Obama convinced you and others to ignore his resume. He is in over his head and the majority in this country now understand that they made a mistake. Obama invented an individual that he isn't and diverted from the person he was, unqualified to be President. He needs to go back to being a Community Organizer where he can't screw things up.

Barack Obama convinced you and others to ignore his resume. He is in over his head and the majority in this country now understand that they made a mistake. Obama invented an individual that he isn't and diverted from the person he was, unqualified to be President. He needs to go back to being a Community Organizer where he can't screw things up.

Um... did you even LOOK at my avatar? He convinced 'me' of nothing.

Who here is defending Obama? I'm not.

Wanna try for a topical reply?

The topic was created with the purpose of smearing Sarah Palin and I rightly pointed out those that want to make Palin the issue have no business ignoring the occupant in the WH. Right now Palin isn't running for anything but if she did and got the nomination she would have my vote over Barack Obama.

The fixation many have with Palin is nothing more than a diversion from the mess we have in the WH right now. Why is Palin even an issue with you or anyone else?

Um... did you even LOOK at my avatar? He convinced 'me' of nothing.

You are right, I responded to the wrong post. I completely understand where you are coming from. That was my error as my comments were directed to others.

The topic was created with the purpose of smearing Sarah Palin and I rightly pointed out those that want to make Palin the issue have no business ignoring the occupant in the WH. Right now Palin isn't running for anything but if she did and got the nomination she would have my vote over Barack Obama.

The fixation many have with Palin is nothing more than a diversion from the mess we have in the WH right now. Why is Palin even an issue with you or anyone else?
I didn't vote for Obama or McCain, nor am I likely to vote for Obama in the future, nor Palin. Am I allowed to participate in this thread, o arbiter of thread participation?

I didn't vote for Obama or McCain, nor am I likely to vote for Obama in the future, nor Palin. Am I allowed to participate in this thread, o arbiter of thread participation?

Carry on, that is your right.

Wow.

Palin, the gift that keeps on giving.

Interesting how a Canadian is so concerned about a non elected official yet ignores the elected one that is destroying the economy. Unfortunately Obama is the "gift" that keeps on giving misery.

Is that what we're calling the until-recent Democratic majority now?

Palin, the Oxford American Dictionary and the American people... I don't really care about Palin I doubt she could win a nomination, though I am disturbed that Oxford American would rather pretend that Palin is a genius than point out that they actually do publish a book with lots of adequate words in it for her to use in her tweets.

Also I agree with Palin on the mosque issue in that they shouldn't build one before a monument or new buildings go up. Afterwards I'd be okay with it.

Interesting how a Canadian is so concerned about a non elected official yet ignores the elected one that is destroying the economy. Unfortunately Obama is the "gift" that keeps on giving misery.
Yeah, jet hasn't posted even once to this board about Obama at all. :roll:

Are you so insecure that it is impossible for you to laugh at your side's stupidity just once?

Palin, the Oxford American Dictionary and the American people... I don't really care about Palin I doubt she could win a nomination, though I am disturbed that Oxford American would rather pretend that Palin is a genius than point out that they actually do publish a book with lots of adequate words in it for her to use in her tweets.

Also I agree with Palin on the mosque issue in that they shouldn't build one before a monument or new buildings go up. Afterwards I'd be okay with it.

Now that Obama is President and the least qualified individual to be elected to the office, Palin doesn't worry me in the least. At least she has executive experience and ran something. Obama was a community organizer who is now in over his head. He has that delegation definition down pat but his problem is he delegates responsibility and you cannot do that when in a leadership position. Truman said it best, "the buck stops here." That is Obama's problem along with most of his supporters. They don't understand management and being an executive. Obama's election has dumbed down the office in terms of management skills so I am less concerned about Palin that the left who understands that they put a lemon on the ballot and the American people bought the rhetoric and ignored the resume.

Back
Top Bottom