• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Sanford, Florida's Long, Troubled History of Racism & Racial Injustice" [W:16]

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
WILL IT BE A FAIR TRIAL?

Daily Kos: Sanford, Florida's Long, Troubled History of Racism & Racial Injustice

"The tragic, racially motivated shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, and the continued refusal of the city's judicial system to charge his shooter after more than a month, is less surprising when you look at the city's history and recent past. The city claims that it is "no Selma," but Martin's shooting has brought to light a troubling pattern of racial injustice and prejudice."

Back in 1947 1946, the city of Sanford ran Jackie Robinson out of town while he was playing for the Montreal Royals, the Brooklyn Dodgers AAA team, which trained in Sanford.

The mayor of Sanford was confronted by what the author describes as a "large group of white residents" who "demanded that Robinson...be run out of town."
The mayor caved. On March 5, the Royals were informed that they would not be permitted to take the field as an integrated group. Rickey was concerned for Robinson's life and sent him to stay in Daytona Beach. His daughter, Sharon Robinson, remembered, "The Robinsons were run out of Sanford, Florida with threats of violence."

This was a low moment for Jackie. The man whose number 42 is retired throughout Major League Baseball almost quit and rejoined the Negro Leagues....(cont)

re: "Sanford, Florida's Long, Troubled History of Racism & Racial Injustice" [W:16]

WILL IT BE A FAIR TRIAL?

Daily Kos: Sanford, Florida's Long, Troubled History of Racism & Racial Injustice

"The tragic, racially motivated shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, and the continued refusal of the city's judicial system to charge his shooter after more than a month, is less surprising when you look at the city's history and recent past. The city claims that it is "no Selma," but Martin's shooting has brought to light a troubling pattern of racial injustice and prejudice."

Back in 1947 1946, the city of Sanford ran Jackie Robinson out of town while he was playing for the Montreal Royals, the Brooklyn Dodgers AAA team, which trained in Sanford.

The mayor of Sanford was confronted by what the author describes as a "large group of white residents" who "demanded that Robinson...be run out of town."
The mayor caved. On March 5, the Royals were informed that they would not be permitted to take the field as an integrated group. Rickey was concerned for Robinson's life and sent him to stay in Daytona Beach. His daughter, Sharon Robinson, remembered, "The Robinsons were run out of Sanford, Florida with threats of violence."

This was a low moment for Jackie. The man whose number 42 is retired throughout Major League Baseball almost quit and rejoined the Negro Leagues....(cont)

Once you accept the bolded (above) then the rest is completely logical. ;)

Using anecdotes from the 1940's is surely proof of no bias in reaching the conclusion that GZ is a racist since he lives there too.

re: "Sanford, Florida's Long, Troubled History of Racism & Racial Injustice" [W:16]

"Will it be a fair trial"?

Hmmm I guess we'll find out, if in America, you have the right to shoot a truant drug user who's bashing your head on the sidewalk after breaking your nose.

Hmmm I guess we'll find out, if in America, you have the right to shoot a truant drug user who's bashing your head on the sidewalk after breaking your nose.

Unless he is black, you are not and you do it in Sanford, FL. Racism was clearly involved, as "proven" by the Daily Kos. ;)

Unless he is black, you are not and you do it in Sanford, FL. Racism was clearly involved, as "proven" by the Daily Kos. ;)

I applaud you Sir/Madam!! Well put, very well put.

Once you accept the bolded (above) then the rest is completely logical. ;)

Using anecdotes from the 1940's is surely proof of no bias in reaching the conclusion that GZ is a racist since he lives there too.

The fact that the police didn't arrest him for more than a month and waited till there was an outcry before they did sure doesn't say too much for Sanford.

There was a black kid murdered who wasn't armed and the police were just going to sweep it under the carpet. It has all the markings of when five LA cops beat Rodney King half to death. You remember the widespread destruction after that innocent verdict don't you? I have an idea that if they find Zimmerman innocent we ain't seen nothing yet.

Last edited:

The fact that the police didn't arrest him for more than a month and waited till there was an outcry before they did sure doesn't say too much for Sanford.

That remains to be seen. If GZ is convicted then you are correct, however if he is acquited that would indicate that the local law was wise enough not waste resources to persue the losing case. The grand jury was not even used to decide if the case should proceed, just political pressure. Texas has had several cases of "justified" shootings/killings make the news, but few make it to trial. The rediculous emphasis on race being used as "justification" for questioning a decision to free a beaten man after he shot his attacker, after he called police to report that very same person as "suspicious" and with witness statements that TM was beating GZ makes it doubtful, IMHO, that the state will prevail. I have yet to see any evidence presented indicating that GZ provoked TM into anything.

That remains to be seen. If GZ is convicted then you are correct, however if he is acquited that would indicate that the local law was wise enough not waste resources to persue the losing case. The grand jury was not even used to decide if the case should proceed, just political pressure. Texas has had several cases of "justified" shootings/killings make the news, but few make it to trial. The rediculous emphasis on race being used as "justification" for questioning a decision to free a beaten man after he shot his attacker, after he called police to report that very same person as "suspicious" and with witness statements that TM was beating GZ makes it doubtful, IMHO, that the state will prevail. I have yet to see any evidence presented indicating that GZ provoked TM into anything.

If he's acquitted that will prove my original premise.

LMAO!! If you start hunting down and killing every drug user in this country we won't have enough left to roof the houses and repair our cars. Alcohol is a drug and nearly every politician in the country lifts a few every night.

He was told by the 911 operator not to follow him. He not only ignored that instruction he followed him then murdered him. They've said they couldn't make it out but on that original call he called him a "Damn Coon". What he said was "These Damn Coons"

Last edited:

If he's acquitted that will prove my original premise.

:lol: :doh Heads you win, tails I lose? :roll:

So it was racism in Sanford not to initially try him and also racism in Sanford if he is not convicted; does that mean that Sanford is only no longer racist if he is convicted? :roll:

There was a black kid murdered who wasn't armed and the police were just going to sweep it under the carpet. It has all the markings of when five LA cops beat Rodney King half to death. You remember the widespread destruction after that innocent verdict don't you? I have an idea that if they find Zimmerman innocent we ain't seen nothing yet.

First of all, your contention that there was a "black kid murdered"...whether he was armed or not...is not a fact. It is nothing more than your opinion. The court trial will decide if the kid was murdered.

Second of all, who cares what the reaction of the populace might be if Zimmerman is found not guilty? Do you think we should convict him for fear of the riots that might ensue?

I suggest we let the justice system run it's course and deal with any resulting rioting...if it comes to that...in accordance with the law. That's how our system works, after all.

:lol: :doh Heads you win, tails I lose? :roll:

So it was racism in Sanford not to initially try him and also racism in Sanford if he is not convicted; does that mean that Sanford is only no longer racist if he is convicted? :roll:

I will grant you one thing......Democrats and Republicans are fairly evenly divided in Florida. That separates them a little from the stupid south. They still show confederate flags on the car tags and at sporting events....you know, the Red States.

I ate breakfast with three guys I've known nearly all my life the other morning and before we finished I had almost bitten my tongue in half. One of them got started on Obama and finally said, "I Just Can't Get Used To Niqqers." I would have ripped him a new one but he's a lifelong friend of my brother.

Last edited:

LMAO!! If you start hunting down and killing every drug user in this country we won't have enough left to roof the houses and repair our cars. Alcohol is a drug and nearly every politician in the country lifts a few every night.

He was told by the 911 operator not to follow him. He not only ignored that instruction he followed him then murdered him. They've said they couldn't make it out but on that original call he called him a "Damn Coon". What he said was "These Damn Coons"

Seriously, do you believe the stuff you type here? You are still putting out LIES. The facts of the case will show, he was OUT of his vehicle when the dispatcher told him not to follow. His reply was affirmative. He was heading back to his vehicle and was jumped. He said......"these effin punks". That's also been documented. He was punched in the face and had his head beaten on the sidewalk.

You're a sorry soul if you say when he's acquitted it'll prove Sanford is "racist".

I guess you just ignore the fact George Zimmerman came to the aid of a black man being beaten.

Of course you ignore that, it doesn't fit your agenda. Kinda like NBC for the SEVENTH time altered footage in order to fill an agenda.

the Travon Martin case is very simple to decode.
Zimmerman saw Travon and because he was black he hounded the kid.
And like most armed vigilantes ...he first made sure Travon was unarmed (the last thing a gun packin hoodlum wants is a fair fight).
Travon fought for his life but Zimmerman sucessfully murdered him.

The Presidents statement was spot on ....Travon could have been his son!!

And thats a very powerful observation to make ....there is no black man anywhere in the world given that circumstance ...would not have been targetd and hunted.

One of the alarming thing to hear after the murder was ....Travon was a bad kid ...he got bad-grades in school!! That to some Americans seems like justification to kill somebody.

Zimmerman did the math ....he knew this was in America and he was well aware how this race based society devalues the lives of blacks.

Now all Zimmerman needs for this trial is to find the group out there holding him up as a hero. And for sure ....he can close his eyes and pick any TEA PURTY activist!!

Again ...another reminder why blacks in any walk of this society ...no matter how much money he makes ...no matter what his status is in the community..is going to select the democratic party ....it always is the right decision to make!!

The Tea PURTY = neocons = republicans have tried and tried and tried all sorts con to try and maintain this unequal society ....while pretending otherwise!! That is ultimately what the right wants ...they want to devalue and disrespect other groups .....while prtending we live in a fair society!!

And I know...I know.... life isn't fair ....but don't tell that to a Tea Bagger who HOWLS AND SCREAM when things don't go 100% his way!!!

The answer to the question "Will Zimmerman get a fair trial" is easy for the folks over at the Daily Kos... I'm positive he will get a fair trial, but I'm not sure how many years in prison the judge will the sentance that racist child killer to?

<sarcasm off>

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to Zimmerman / Martin forum

WOW! Now he can interpret what no one else could, including professionals who do sound cleanup etc for a living!

My hat is off to your un-educated sir!

I heard the 911 recording and he said, "These Damn Coons"

Yes.. I agree .. George said Effing Coons or Goons.. He didn't say Punks..

Sanford used to be the celery capital......

Yes.. I agree .. George said Effing Coons or Goons.. He didn't say Punks..

Sanford used to be the celery capital......

That's exactly the way I heard it.

I didn't know about the vegetables. My wife and I have driven through there a few times on our way from Daytona Beach to Clearwater.

Last edited:
That's what the jury will hear.

George's credibility is nil.

If the Sanford police had arrested him on the spot, locked him up and not interfered with the proceedings things might have appeared a little different to me but they fell in line with the same old **** that has been happening in the south for about 350 years. If the jury doesn't find him guilty of "Something" they will look back and wish they had...just my opinion.

Kinda' weird. We stopped hanging witches in 1692 and here we are in the most free country in the world still discriminating against innocent people because of the way they were born...or are we the most free country in the world?

Last edited:
If the Sanford police had arrested him on the spot, locked him up and not interfered with the proceedings things might have appeared a little different to me but they fell in line with the same old **** that has been happening in the south for about 350 years.

I agree.. and George might be better off if he had hired a lawyer and shut his mouth.

I agree.. and George might be better off if he had hired a lawyer and shut his mouth.

His brother appearing on multiple network news TV programs telling what a great, laid back guy he is chapped my ass big time. That's another thing...the news networks have gotten to a place where they are as bad or worse than the paparazzi. How in the name of goodness can it be that those women on the jury haven't already formed a solid opinion. The HLN has already all but tried him. I wish Nancy Grace had a copper stopper in her ass.

His brother appearing on multiple network news TV programs telling what a great, laid back guy he is chapped my ass big time. That's another thing...the news networks have gotten to a place where they are as bad or worse than the paparazzi. How in the name of goodness can it be that those women on the jury haven't already formed a solid opinion. The HLN has already all but tried him. I wish Nancy Grace had a copper stopper in her ass.

George's family has certainly hurt his chances.. with their begging for money, letter writing, books and TV appearances.. Robert juniors non-stop tweeting.. I have never seen such a stupid family. I don't watch HLN or Nancy Grace.

Back
Top Bottom