• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sanders Wins Nevada Caucuses, Strengthening Front-Runner Position

If a CEO is being paid millions a year they can afford to pay employees a better wage

I won't disagree with the premise of your statement. However, I do not believe that if a CEO's salary were to be reduced it will necessarily lead to increased wages for employees.

Do I consider some CEO's compensation excessive? Yeah I do.

With that said, the CEO does not set their own salary. At what level should employee compensation be capped?

If that's what you think is being sold you haven't been paying attention

Then correct me where I am wrong, what is it exactly that the Democratic Party is proposing? Slightly liberal means you buy what you want to believe and ignore actual results and proposals. how does Sanders pay for his plans?

I won't disagree with the premise of your statement. However, I do not believe that if a CEO's salary were to be reduced it will necessarily lead to increased wages for employees.

With that said, the CEO does not set their own salary. At what level should employee compensation be capped?

How does a CEO's salary hurt you? You really concerned about what a private sector CEO earns but not the millions public servants like Sanders earns?? Wow, your priorities are quite interesting

How does a CEO's salary hurt you? You really concerned about what a private sector CEO earns but not the millions public servants like Sanders earns?? Wow, your priorities are quite interesting

How does cutting a CEOs salary hurt you?

Never said a CEO salary was hurting me.

Although I believe that some CEO's compensation is excessive.
I am not for setting limits on what a CEO is paid. That is what the board should do.

Never said a CEO salary was hurting me.

Although I believe that some CEO's compensation is excessive.
I am not for setting limits on what a CEO is paid. That is what the board should do.

What you think regarding CEO's is irrelevant, you don't like what a CEO makes, buy your products from some other company

CEOs negotiate compensation and sign a contract. Employees should be treated the same. We're all capitalists.

Due to the nature of business and the supply of labor, workers have little power as individuals. Organization is their best hope.

It's really not a liberal/conservative thing. Indeed, many of my union member buds are staunch conservatives.

If that's what you think is being sold you haven't been paying attention
LOL. That applies to tens of thousands of posts. It is absolutely bizarre what some people "think"* is going on.

*I use this term advisedly, as "thinking" is rarely evidenced by many of these posts. Parroting is far more common.

While this thread has drifted far from the topic, it is interesting to see what some people think goes on within corporations and the marketplace. For example, "the CEO does not set their own salary." Although it would take the thread too far afield, one can name at least a dozen CEOs who put the lie to that statement. How CEO compensation is determined is itself as bizarro world of self-dealing and "good ol boy" networking. At the highest levels, CEOs commonly set their own compensation, and rarely do companies employ outside consultants to set pay. Usually it is hand-picked boards that set the pay for "thems that picked 'em".

That how you get this: This Year’s List of the Most Overpaid CEOs in America Is Out. I don't agree with all of their selections, but it does highlight the problem.

I am a proponent of capitalism, in most settings. But assuming that all elements of a capitalistic system operate in a market-driven way is beyond naive. Every engine needs a governor to keep its power from blowing itself apart. The engine of capitalism is no different. Outsized CEO pay is just one of the many faults in the current "system". There is a significant disconnect between perfomance and compensation, and performance and added value. Rethinking the Assumptions Behind Executive Pay (Harvard Business Review); Pay for Performance… But Not Too Much Pay: The American Public’s View of CEO Pay (Harvard Law School forum).

Back
Top Bottom