• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sanctions against illegals employers

country

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Rasmussen reports 70 percent of voters favor strong sanctions against employers who hire illegals. Who can argue with that large of a majority? Can we agree that if illegals could not find work,most would go home or to other countrys thereby reducing the drain on hospitals and schools and maybe I wouldn't have to punch 1 for english?

You know some people live here legally and speak Spanish right? It takes two seconds. It's not an attack on your personal liberties. Suck it up. You conservatives love marines right? You ever hear a marine complain about having to push one button on the phone? Didn't think so. ;)

Anyway, I totally support stronger sanctions against employers. It's simple supply and demand. People come over the border because there is someone who will pay them under the table to work menial jobs. Finding illegal immigrants and deporting them just creates another job opening. Shut down the employer and that job opening goes away.

Rasmussen reports 70 percent of voters favor strong sanctions against employers who hire illegals. Who can argue with that large of a majority? Can we agree that if illegals could not find work,most would go home or to other countrys thereby reducing the drain on hospitals and schools and maybe I wouldn't have to punch 1 for english?
The surprising part is that 30% don't?? :doh

You know some people live here legally and speak Spanish right? It takes two seconds. It's not an attack on your personal liberties. Suck it up. You conservatives love marines right? You ever hear a marine complain about having to push one button on the phone? Didn't think so. ;)

Anyway, I totally support stronger sanctions against employers. It's simple supply and demand. People come over the border because there is someone who will pay them under the table to work menial jobs. Finding illegal immigrants and deporting them just creates another job opening. Shut down the employer and that job opening goes away.

Sorry I offended you. Maybe I should have put a smiley on that comment. It was a tongue in cheek moment.

You miss the point. That point being that, in a country where citizens have historically agreed (through inaction) to speak a common language, these citizens are now forced to take action. But it goes beyond that. Corporations promote the ease of not learning the commonly spoken language by offering assitence in the immigrants language. Who pays for the extra wording on all of the home depot signs? The consumer. Now the print on everything from signs to directions for use of a product are half the size to make room for spanish instructions. Signs must be made larger or the print smaller to accomodate another language... are you getting the point yet?

You are absolutely correct in this. :thumbs:

Or the idiot liberals with the soft heads, clinging to trees.
Could be but more resonably and likely that it's republicans who aren't smart enough to figure out that employers/employment is the number one reason illegals come here.

You miss the point. That point being that, in a country where citizens have historically agreed (through inaction) to speak a common language, these citizens are now forced to take action. But it goes beyond that. Corporations promote the ease of not learning the commonly spoken language by offering assitence in the immigrants language. Who pays for the extra wording on all of the home depot signs? The consumer. Now the print on everything from signs to directions for use of a product are half the size to make room for spanish instructions. Signs must be made larger or the print smaller to accomodate another language... are you getting the point yet?
:

Yes, I understand this "point" completely. You know what my response is?

Suck it up. Home depot makes signs in spanish because it helps them sell more product, they didn't do it out of the goodness of their heart. They make more money this way. "The consumer" pays the price? Yeah, the Spanish speaking consumer. If they don't, Spanish speakers will take their business elsewhere. Capitalism. Your whole point is based on some sort of assumption that English is the language this country "should" speak, to the exclusion of all others. It's a big country with a lot of different people in it.

Well Deuce... it doesnt sound like you have ever hung out with marines. Being one myself and currently active duty. We bitch pretty much all the time. Mainly because we are pissed off at everything and deal with more bull**** in a week then you will your whole life. If you don't think a United States Marine would bitch about illegals and how we have to push 1 for english, then you are either tweakin off a meth binge or you have never had to work with us.

Edited: Ah, okay... maybe not your whole life but you get the point.

Last edited:
Wouldnt this also negatively affect the lawfully employed? I mean we are experiencing a rough financial time, this is really worth the cost? Sanctioning companies could also result in the layoff of lawfully employed persons, as business falls, who will be punished for actions of those beyond their control? And sanctioned companies who do business with other companies, as all companies do, will also be punished for no action they controlled, say if they are barred from doing business with them.

Could be but more resonably and likely that it's republicans who aren't smart enough to figure out that employers/employment is the number one reason illegals come here.

I think you will find that even the most obtuse Republican gets the reason illegals come here, and by and large those Republicans who do hire these folk do so because they need not offer the Minimum wage, they can go lower.

But I believe that the majority of illegals are hired by Democrat party members.

Yes, I understand this "point" completely. You know what my response is?

Suck it up. Home depot makes signs in spanish because it helps them sell more product, they didn't do it out of the goodness of their heart. They make more money this way.
I think you still DO miss the point or are too interested in an argument to examine your position. :shrug:
You seem to have the same problem that a very large portion of our country seems to suffer from; a lack of critical examination of ideas. You get an idea in your head and you stop thinking about it once your desired position and the information match up. But if you were to examine that position a bit farther you might reason out a different conclusion. Here, let me help you... So to your quote, yes, Home Depot makes signs in Spanish because it helps them sell more product... but wait... who are those people who need signs in Spanish?
People who don't speak English...
who speaks Spanish and not English?
People who come from a Spanish speaking dominate country... i.e. students, vacationers and immigrants.
OK, so now let's look at those groups.
1) Students - probably speak English enough to buy things from HD that a student might need.
2) Vacationers - do you really suspect that there are so many Spanish speaking vacationers buying things at HD to warrant the added expense of recreating their signs in that language? NO.
3) Immigrants - Legal immigrants could account for the expense that all companies expend in ADDING Spanish instructions on labels/signs/packaging/voice systems... assuming that number were sufficient to warrant that expense. We should be mindful that the children of immigrants learn English... at least enough to read the "light bulbs" sign on isle 15.

In 2009, the total number of persons naturalizing was 743,715 (see Table 1 and Figure 1). The leading countries of birth of new citizens were Mexico (111,630), India (52,889), the Philippines (38,934), the People’s Republic of China (37,130), and Vietnam (31,168).
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/natz_fr_2009.pdf

Only 111,630 legal Mexican immigrants were allowed in the country in 2009? What percentage of those do you think speak enough English to find the "nails" at HD? Do you think the HD would really go to such expense for 111,630 people? That's about 2,232 per state.
The Home Depot operates 2,193 big-box format stores across the United States (including all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam),

Does your position still seem reasonable or do you think the Home Depot might be catering to illegal immigrants?

"The consumer" pays the price? Yeah, the Spanish speaking consumer. If they don't, Spanish speakers will take their business elsewhere. Capitalism.
I don't really understand the bold portion. It would seem you are saying that the only people who pay for the added cost is only carried by Spanish speaking people... :confused: I never saw a price tag that had a separate price for English speaking people...
Elsewhere as in... not in the USA?
Capitalism? Yeah, you've just exposed another hole in the "capitalism is wonderful" mantra. Capitalism means never having to be responsible for or to, anything but profit.

Your whole point is based on some sort of assumption that English is the language this country "should" speak, to the exclusion of all others. It's a big country with a lot of different people in it.
Obviously you don't get the point as evidenced by... well, everything you've said so far. English IS and has been the dominant language in this country ever since the English Speaking Europeans became the dominant population back in the late 1700s.

I never mentioned anything similar to ""should" speak, to the exclusion of all others." That is simply a strawman.

Last edited:
I think you will find that even the most obtuse Republican gets the reason illegals come here, and by and large those Republicans who do hire these folk do so because they need not offer the Minimum wage, they can go lower.

But I believe that the majority of illegals are hired by Democrat party members.
And you "believe" this because of what information?

Well Deuce... it doesnt sound like you have ever hung out with marines. Being one myself and currently active duty. We bitch pretty much all the time. Mainly because we are pissed off at everything and deal with more bull**** in a week then you will your whole life. If you don't think a United States Marine would bitch about illegals and how we have to push 1 for english, then you are either tweakin off a meth binge or you have never had to work with us.

Edited: Ah, okay... maybe not your whole life but you get the point.

I worked as a flight instructor for years and quite frankly I could give you a run for your money in the "number of people who tried to kill me" field ;)
edit: And if you haven't been deployed then I definitely beat you there!

Besides, what I said was a joke. Sorry you took such personal offense to it. I officially retract my statement: Marines whine all the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom