• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

San Francisco Wants to Ban the Sale of Pets

Goes under the heading of WTF? This is Mrs. Ma'am's district correct?

What the ****? I am confused as to why they would do this type of thing.

What the ****? I am confused as to why they would do this type of thing.

The City Council is supposed to vote on it tonight. Hopefully, common sense will prevail, and it won't get passed.

I agree that banning all pet sales is probably over the top. But, what do you think they should do about the overabundance of hamsters they are having to euthanize at the shelters?

I agree that banning all pet sales is probably over the top. But, what do you think they should do about the overabundance of hamsters they are having to euthanize at the shelters?

i hear they make a great stew

but i think they should replace the sale of hamsters with guinea pigs, they are much easier to look after, aren't aggressive or destructive, and are very cute.

Last edited:
Big cities have animal control problems from all the strays. People don't need to buy pets when there are plenty of perfectly fine ones at shelters that need adoption.

This removes the emphasis from stores and places it back onto the already under-resourced shelter system.

The plan is over the top, and the article's quote, "using an atom bomb to kill an ant" pretty much sums it all up.

I find it kind of strange that the city council allows illegals and might want to ban pet sales.

Last edited:
I don't think it is before the city council, the proposal is before the San Francisco Commission on Animal Control and Welfare.

Personally, the business of selling small cheap (disposable) animals, like so many flowers or small toys, is not a good thing. I suspect the proposal won't get far, but, if it were ever implemented I would welcome that.

This is bogus and stupid...

But thanks for the Hitler Reference ;) No thread is complete without one. :)

The article doesn't mention Hitler, but another link that I saw, did. I thought it pertinent to include it, since governments these days are tending toward being overbearing and Hitler like, these days. Hitler didn't ban pets, only Jews.

I suppose it's still okay to buy and sell women for prostitution.

If hamsters are such a problem, then why don't they regulate sale of hamsters and leave the other pets out of it? I know kids who had hamsters, but the hamsters tended not to live long. I was not aware that hamsters were so popular in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Big cities have animal control problems from all the strays. People don't need to buy pets when there are plenty of perfectly fine ones at shelters that need adoption.

This removes the emphasis from stores and places it back onto the already under-resourced shelter system.

First it' will be pets. Next it will be regulation of the kind of car or truck people can buy or where they can buy it. Before long, everything will be regulated. Soon, we won't be able to buy the food we want. It will be only food recognized as accepted by the government and definitley no food containing sugar, salt, or transfats.

Many municipalities don't allow the sale of alcohol.

I think it's a good idea. I hope it puts local puppy mills out of business.

I'm all for putting puppy mills out of business as well, but it hurts the pet store owner who is caught in the middle and only trying to make a living like the next guy. What does this pet shop owner do with his on-hand stock? Does this mean, he must now donate all his inventory to animal shelters and overburden them, or does he get to sell off his inventory but not get to buy any more? In any event, it means the loss of his business and way of life.

IT said:

So you defend legal bunk with more legal bunk?

Let's just initiate bread lines and invisible Stasi. Seemed to work across the pond.

The council is considering it, so they might do it. This won't solve the problem, as people will merely go to other municipalities to buy hamsters.

It did not actually pass. It was just something somebody on the commission proposed. They voted it down.

Ban the sale of Hamsters or have a law that all hamsters are (in the manner of Dogs and cats) Neutered.
End of problem QED.

Why does it make sense to ban pets but legalize some weed?

I'm all for putting puppy mills out of business as well, but it hurts the pet store owner who is caught in the middle and only trying to make a living like the next guy. What does this pet shop owner do with his on-hand stock? Does this mean, he must now donate all his inventory to animal shelters and overburden them, or does he get to sell off his inventory but not get to buy any more? In any event, it means the loss of his business and way of life.

I know of several pet stores in my area that don't sell anything other than fish without any policy like this. They do however hold adoption days where local shelters bring in animals to be adopted.

The fact is that pet stores do get their animals from mills. They may not do it directly as they usually have a middle man (a broker). The irresponsible breeding and the deplorable conditions leave these dogs unsocialized during the most formitive stages of their life, unhealthy, and leaving the owners with hundreds if not thousands of dollar in vet bills and/or euthanization of the animal.

The pet stor owners will just have to adapt. Most of their sales comes from the products, not the animals.

Yes, banning the sale of pets is totally the same thing as exterminating Jewish people.

Back
Top Bottom