• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

San Francisco pol wants to take the joy out of a Happy Meal

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I remembering doing a thread on this months earlier with Santa Clara. It looks like the idiot food police have made their way from Santa Clara to San Fransisco to ban happy meal toys.

San Francisco pol wants to take the joy out of a Happy Meal | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Toys that have been synonymous with kids’ meals at fast-food restaurants could soon be banned in San Francisco under a new law proposed Tuesday if the food contains too much fat, sugar or salt.

Earlier this year, Santa Clara County became the first local government in the nation to adopt such a law, but it only applies to unincorporated areas and affects a handful of restaurants.

San Francisco’s proposal could have a far greater impact. The restrictions would pertain to all restaurants but effectively would target the dozens of fast-food establishments in the city, among them McDonald’s, Jack in the Box and Burger King.

San Francisco’s legislation would not prohibit toy giveaways outright, but limit them to menu items that meet strict nutrition guidelines.

For example, no single item could contain more than 200 calories or 480 milligrams of sodium. An entire meal could have no more than 600 calories.

That would wipe out all but a handful of the Happy Meal offerings at McDonald’s — and none of those options include a small hamburger. Several meet the calorie count, but would fail on the sodium content.

Read more: San Francisco pol wants to take the joy out of a Happy Meal | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Once 2014 hits, and Obamacare starts "taking care of us all" watch for more moves like this.

Oh.

For a second, there, I thought the title said that they wanted to take the joy out of happy endings.

I am most relieved.

I don't get this at all. There is ZERO wrong with treating yourself and your kid to something that's not "good for you" every once in a while. Hell, I'm convinced that I have one of the healthiest diets on this forum and I eat at McDonald's at least once a month.

I don't get this at all. There is ZERO wrong with treating yourself and your kid to something that's not "good for you" every once in a while. Hell, I'm convinced that I have one of the healthiest diets on this forum and I eat at McDonald's at least once a month.

Exactly;.... there is nothing wrong with McDonald's in moderation. it is the excessive consumption of it that is a problem...

Parents are the ones to make these decisions for their children, not the nanny-state.

And I would also say that I am probably one of the healthiest people on this forum as well and I eat Burger King and McDonald's from time to time...

I don't see the point of this... not all parents buy happy meals for their kids when they go to mcdonalds. Arguably, they are taking the one thing away from the meal that isn't doing any harm to the kid.

I don't see the point of this... not all parents buy happy meals for their kids when they go to mcdonalds. Arguably, they are taking the one thing away from the meal that isn't doing any harm to the kid.

So, you think an occasional Happy Meal with a cheeseburger, fries and Coke is doing harm to the kids? Frankly, I think those cheap made-in-China toys with the Happy Meals are more likely to do harm to a kid than a once-monthly trip to eat McDonald's food... which is about what we limit our kids to...

So, you think an occasional Happy Meal with a cheeseburger, fries and Coke is doing harm to the kids?

If it's literally once a month, no, I don't.

Frankly, I think those cheap made-in-China toys with the Happy Meals are more likely to do harm to a kid than a once-monthly trip to eat McDonald's food... which is about what we limit our kids to...

I don't really want to get into China politics in this thread, if you don't mind...

This is SO stupid. Who thinks of this crap?

This is SO stupid. Who thinks of this crap?

Who thinks of this crap? McDonald's does. And, why do they add the toy? 'Cause they know it gets kids to ask for Happy Meals which are not healthy choices.

Who thinks of this crap? McDonald's does. And, why do they add the toy? 'Cause they know it gets kids to ask for Happy Meals which are not healthy choices.

So? Why is it McDonalds fault that they know how to market for kids? Why aren't the parents of these kids held responsible for letting their kid get fat, and not instilling healthy eating habits? An unhealthy meal every now and then isn't a bad thing, it's not like McDonalds is giving these kids meth. Let the kids have their hamburger, and toy every so often, it won't hurt them.

yeah, it'd be much better if the kids asked for big macs wouldn't it :roll:

if the parents didn't take their kids to maccas so often, there wouldn't be a problem.

If it's literally once a month, no, I don't.

It pretty much is... We take the girls to Subway far more often than McDonald's -- and yes, sometimes a whole month goes by without our girls going to McDonald's -- I guess that means they are deprived...

Then again, my girls are already runners... :) Both won their school races this year... :)

I don't really want to get into China politics in this thread, if you don't mind...

not a comment on politics.. a comment on how easily that crap breaks when you get it home... those toys seldom last as long as the next trip to McDonald's...

Back
Top Bottom