• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

San Francisco officer is charged with on-duty homicide. The DA says it's a first

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A former San Francisco Police officer was charged with homicide Monday in connection with a 2017 on-duty shooting. The city's district attorney's office said in a news release that it believes this is the first time a city law enforcement officer has been charged with an on-duty homicide. Former San Francisco officer Chris Samayoa is charged with fatally shooting 42-year-old Keita O'Neil, a Black man suspected of carjacking a California State Lottery minivan, according to the news release.

So Samayoa was fired after the shooting occurred, however, I would say the question now is: Do you think its fair that he's being brought to court regarding the incident three years later?

So Samayoa was fired after the shooting occurred, however, I would say the question now is: Do you think its fair that he's being brought to court regarding the incident three years later?
What's the statute of limitation for murder? Answer; there is none.

What's the statute of limitation for murder? Answer; there is none.

Well, good thing you have no ****ing idea what you are talking about.

Hint: He wasn't charged with murder.

Don't know the facts of the story, so who knows......did it take this long to investigate, that's possible, a criminal case is a lot different than being fired, is it a new DA coming in wanting to make their mark, that is just as possible, too many variables to say....

Certainly it is fair

The charges are serious and can result in significant sentences if convicted.

The charges are serious and can result in significant sentences if convicted.

Absolutely, still one probably shouldn't be spouting off opinions if they haven't even read the article they are spouting off about.....

Still no idea why 3 years later they would bring the charges vs at the time of the incident......be interesting to see where that goes

Absolutely, still one probably shouldn't be spouting off opinions if they haven't even read the article they are spouting off about.....

Still no idea why 3 years later they would bring the charges vs at the time of the incident......be interesting to see where that goes
How many Officers are charged at the time of an event- close to if not zero

Yes.

How many Officers are charged at the time of an event- close to if not zero

How many Officers are charged THREE YEARS down the line? - close to if not zero

Seems reasonable. I assume it's taken so long due to an intense investigation.

Seems reasonable. I assume it's taken so long due to an intense investigation.

Very possible.....it could also be, new D.A., new evidence, could be a lot of things, the article doesn't really go into it.

He was charged with manslaughter. Depending on circumstances, the statue of limitations could be from 6 years to no limitations.

So yes, it is in fact fair to charge him now if they have a case.

He was charged with manslaughter. Depending on circumstances, the statue of limitations could be from 6 years to no limitations.

So yes, it is in fact fair to charge him now if they have a case.

Agreed, but that's not what I was responding to, and this is a new DA took over January 9th, 2020, and the matter was still under investigation, so I have zero issues with him being charged....

If the investigation had completed say a year and a half ago and no charges being filed, and a new DA comes in and charges, that to me signifies a political charge and that's troubling.

Agreed, but that's not what I was responding to, and this is a new DA took over January 9th, 2020, and the matter was still under investigation, so I have zero issues with him being charged....

If the investigation had completed say a year and a half ago and no charges being filed, and a new DA comes in and charges, that to me signifies a political charge and that's troubling.

That happens all the time. DAs have a lot of discretion, and the incoming DA may feel that allowing a case to stay buried is a miscarriage of justice.

This could be as simple as a break in the case, new evidence being uncovered that proves motive, or a reluctant witness becoming less reluctant or the discovery of prior similar behavior that shows a pattern. Its hard to know.

How many Officers are charged THREE YEARS down the line? - close to if not zero
Charging him was a big step- not common

That happens all the time. DAs have a lot of discretion, and the incoming DA may feel that allowing a case to stay buried is a miscarriage of justice.

Agreed that it happens, don't agree that it's necessarily right........if the facts warrant it, then I think they should be charged, simple as that, politics should have no bearing on it. Now, granted, I know that's not reality.....but it's ok to try for that standard lol

There could have been more evidence that came to light. Its not uncommon that a murder suspect.. when they are questioned by police.. right after an incident.. clams up..
Then later.. maybe years later.. starts gabbing it up when they think they have gotten away with it. Or gets their tongue loosened up when they get drunk etc.

Why so nasty?

Because it's par for the course for this poster to post something without knowing the facts, reading the linked articles, or even interested in honest dialogue.

Likely someone who believes cops can do no wrong, ever.
Because it's par for the course for this poster to post something without knowing the facts, reading the linked articles, or even interested in honest dialogue.
There wasn't anything in his post to suggest the facts were not known. Many people, myself included, consider murder and homicide going hand in hand, as it is one of the types of homicide, as well as manslaughter (which he was actually charged with)

Back
Top Bottom