• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Samuel P. Huntington - The Clash of Civilizations

irglobal

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Huntington in his theory specifies that the era of ideologies and conflicts between has ended now the rivalry is between the civilizations. According to him the main conflicts in the future will occur because of the differences between the cultures. Especially after the cold-war the importance of the conflict in civilizations or cultural conflicts has increased.

He mentiones main civilizations in the world as:

Western Civilization: Western Europe, Northern America, Australia and New Zealand.
Orthodox Countries: Russia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Greece
Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, Mexico...
Islamic Countries: Middle East, Central Asia, North Africa, Indonesia, Pakistan, Somalia
India : Continental India and Nepal
China: Including Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan
Japan: Mixture of Chinese and Altaic civilization

Apart from these main types according to Huntington's theory there are also isolated countries like Israel, Turkey, Ethiopia which do not belong any of the above mentioned groups.

According to his theory Russia and India; China and Iran are natural allies.

It's being a while (14 years, to be precise) since I read this book and I don't remember details in particular. :) However,

Huntington in his theory specifies that the era of ideologies and conflicts between has ended now the rivalry is between the civilizations.

Would you remind me how is religion very different from civilization since all civilizations have a profound religious background? For example, Turkey has very strong Islamic background. :peace

thank you for your post. Actually he did not deny the religion concept in civilization. His definition of group of the countries mostly separated with religion like Islam and Orthodoxy. The point he specified at the end is the importance of trying to live together despite the differences. He clarifies Japan sample for this, a different religion and culture but the most closest country to Western Civilization.

Huntington in his theory specifies that the era of ideologies and conflicts between has ended now the rivalry is between the civilizations. According to him the main conflicts in the future will occur because of the differences between the cultures. Especially after the cold-war the importance of the conflict in civilizations or cultural conflicts has increased.
I've never read The Clash of Civilizations. Anyhow, I'm assuming from your profile that you live in Turkey?

irglobal User Join Date: December 2013 Location: Turkey Last Seen: Today @ 11:45 AM

What is a rivalry between civilizations going to look like when I (from Chicago, USA) can instantly talk to someone halfway across the world from Turkey, Russia or China? It would be hard for me or anyone else to want a conflict with China, when I can literally talk to someone from China.

Come to think of it, problems arise when people don't know their proper place. What do I mean?
Well, it's like neighbourhood - all is good until someone tries to cross the fence, or steal something that belongs to his neighbour, or dump trash in his yard, or make a racket and disturb the neighbours, or take over his property.... In other words, conflict exist when one tries to abuse his neighbour. Therefore, if people knew their boundaries, the conflicts would be minimal.

The same goes with religions and civilizations. :)

He mentiones main civilizations in the world as:

Western Civilization: Western Europe, Northern America, Australia and New Zealand.
Orthodox Countries: Russia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Greece
Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, Mexico...
Islamic Countries: Middle East, Central Asia, North Africa, Indonesia, Pakistan, Somalia
India : Continental India and Nepal
China: Including Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan
Japan: Mixture of Chinese and Altaic civilization

Apart from these main types according to Huntington's theory there are also isolated countries like Israel, Turkey, Ethiopia which do not belong any of the above mentioned groups.

According to his theory Russia and India; China and Iran are natural allies.

wouldnt the US and Saudi alliance disprove this? Seems nations still act within their own self-interests more than they do some distorted concept of cultural alliance or brotherhood. And while shared cultural ideals and values can foster such relations (the alignment of Israel and the US) they are still dependent on strategic concerns (originally as a buffer to the spread of communist influence in the region then as a secure political foothold)

Its a bogus theory. The U.S. alone is allied with plenty of nations in opposition to other members of the authors cultural grouping. Saudi Arabia allies with the U.S. against Iran, Korea against China, Columbia against Venezuela, Orthodox NATO members against Russia ect.

Its silly to pretend that any single factor is responsible for human conflict. The truth is there about a million reasons why people fight with each other. The perfect example Football War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom