• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Samuel Huntington Predicted Trump

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A tip of the hat to the late Samuel Huntington, who foresaw much of our current political predicament.

How Samuel Huntington Predicted Our Political Moment
Jason Willick, TAI

[FONT=&quot]In 2004, the eminent political scientist offered key insights into the nationalist-cosmopolitan divide at the heart of our society.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Samuel Huntington, the professor of government at Harvard University (and member of The American Interest editorial board from its founding until his death in 2008) was a titan of 20th-century social science. Several of his books, including Political Order in Changing Societies, The Third Wave, and The Clash ofCivilizations,are classic works that will shape political thought for generations.
Huntington’s final book, however, has been denied a place in that pantheon. Who Are We?—a wide-ranging treatise that argued, among other things, that American elites were dangerously out of touch with the American public when it came to issues of patriotism, foreign policy, and national identity—was panned by most mainstream reviewers in 2004 as an ideological and careless screed that flirted with xenophobia. At 77, the eminent scholar was accused in respectable circles of losing his marbles.But as the Republican Party prepares to hand its nomination to Donald Trump—a self-described “America First” nationalist, running on a platform of immigration restriction, trade wars, and Jacksonian foreign policy—Huntington’s thesis is looking more prescient than ever before—not as a prescription, but as a way of describing the divisions running through the heart of American society. . . . .[/FONT]

A tip of the hat to the late Samuel Huntington, who foresaw much of our current political predicament.

Jason Willick, TAI

[FONT="][I]In 2004, the eminent political scientist offered key insights into the nationalist-cosmopolitan divide at the heart of our society.
[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#111111][FONT="]Samuel Huntington, the professor of government at Harvard University (and member of The American Interest editorial board from its founding until his death in 2008) was a titan of 20th-century social science. Several of his books, including Political Order in Changing Societies, The Third Wave, and The Clash ofCivilizations,are classic works that will shape political thought for generations.
Huntington’s final book, however, has been denied a place in that pantheon. Who Are We?—a wide-ranging treatise that argued, among other things, that American elites were dangerously out of touch with the American public when it came to issues of patriotism, foreign policy, and national identity—was panned by most mainstream reviewers in 2004 as an ideological and careless screed that flirted with xenophobia. At 77, the eminent scholar was accused in respectable circles of losing his marbles.But as the Republican Party prepares to hand its nomination to Donald Trump—a self-described “America First” nationalist, running on a platform of immigration restriction, trade wars, and Jacksonian foreign policy—Huntington’s thesis is looking more prescient than ever before—not as a prescription, but as a way of describing the divisions running through the heart of American society. . . . .[/FONT]

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

I have The Third Wave, and although it is the only one I have by him, I found it very thought provoking at the time I read it! :thumbs:

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

I have The Third Wave, and although it is the only one I have by him, I found it very thought provoking at the time I read it! :thumbs:

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

He was a great and brilliant man.:applaud

Jason Willick, TAI

[FONT="][I]In 2004, the eminent political scientist offered key insights into the nationalist-cosmopolitan divide at the heart of our society.
[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#111111][FONT="]Samuel Huntington, the professor of government at Harvard University (and member of The American Interest editorial board from its founding until his death in 2008) was a titan of 20th-century social science. Several of his books, including Political Order in Changing Societies, The Third Wave, and The Clash ofCivilizations,are classic works that will shape political thought for generations.

There were a number of articles the best in Foreign Affairs at the time.

Jason Willick, TAI

[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Many truthsayers in our past have been written off as quacks.

Even some of our more revered and respected historical figures gave us good warnings that went unheeded or ignored altogether.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
<snip>
Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

And, thanks to the rightwing extremists, the Republican Party has abandoned it's roots and is now in what appears to be a death spiral.

Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."]

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

Back
Top Bottom