• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sam Alito Delivers Grievance-Laden, Ultra-Partisan Speech to the Federalist Society

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The Federalist Society and partisanship go hand-in-hand.

Justice Sam Alito feels very secure in his job, too secure in my mind! He recklessly abandoned the Judicial Code of Ethics when addressing the Federalist Society.

On Thursday night, Justice Sam Alito delivered the keynote address at this year’s all-virtual Federalist Society National Lawyers Convention. The Federalist Society, a well-funded network of conservative attorneys, has come under unusual scrutiny after Donald Trump elevated scores of its members to the federal judiciary. Its leaders insist that it is a mere debate club, a nonpartisan forum for the exchange of legal ideas. But Alito abandoned any pretense of impartiality in his speech, a grievance-laden tirade against Democrats, the progressive movement, and the United States’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Alito’s targets included COVID-related restrictions, same-sex marriage, abortion, Plan B, the contraceptive mandate, LGBTQ non-discrimination laws, and five sitting Democratic senators.

Alito complains, “suggesting that the pressure Christians face surrounding their religious beliefs is akin to the strictures the U.S. placed on Germany and Japan after World War II”, saying:

‘ “…The question we face is whether our society will be inclusive enough to tolerate people with unpopular religious beliefs.” ’

(see 3rd and 4th para):
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-address-draws-heat/ar-BB1aYcHr?ocid=msedgntp

The truth is that Christianity is by far and away the most popular religion in America and the most unpopular, the tolerance of which is most questionable, is that of Islam. Typical RW thinking. Christian white people being attacked by liberalized society while minority religion and people of color are the ones, in fact, being attacked and oppressed. Hilarious.

Alito complains, “suggesting that the pressure Christians face surrounding their religious beliefs is akin to the strictures the U.S. placed on Germany and Japan after World War II”, saying:

‘ “…The question we face is whether our society will be inclusive enough to tolerate people with unpopular religious beliefs.” ’

(see 3rd and 4th para):
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-address-draws-heat/ar-BB1aYcHr?ocid=msedgntp

The truth is that Christianity is by far and away the most popular religion in America and the most unpopular, the tolerance of which is most questionable, is that of Islam. Typical RW thinking. Christian white people being attacked by liberalized society while minority religion and people of color are the ones, in fact, being attacked and oppressed. Hilarious.
Hilarious and, if not disgusting, at the very least, concerning. Alito comes off as ridiculously prejudice in favor of Conservative dogma.

Justice Sam Alito feels very secure in his job, too secure in my mind! He recklessly abandoned the Judicial Code of Ethics when addressing the Federalist Society.

We all know how much republicans can't stand activist judges...unless of course.

The justice then complained that the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage ruling had crushed the free speech rights of anti-LGBTQ advocates by subjecting them to public criticism:

This dickhead is using a convoluted version of the first amendment to crush free speech of pro lgbt+ People. The first has never ever been a protection against criticism. This is galling considering the straight pride (really the pro genocide) movement is advocating for mass murder.

With respect to same-sex marriage, Alito and conservatives' argument is essentially that government recognition of same-sex marriage implies it is a socially desirable (or at least acceptable) practice, and therefore only bigots oppose it. They had no problem whatsoever with the message the government sent in denying recognition to same-sex marriages, which was that gay people and their relationships are socially destructive and immoral.

Same-sex marriage bans are unconstitutional because there is no legitimate basis to distinguish between gay and straight people in encouraging marriage. The idea that certain groups (whether they be gay, black, female, etc.) should be denied their fundamental rights because opponents of those groups may be criticized for their speech or opposition has no basis in constitutional law. If that were law, some of the most socially important decisions the Court has ever rendered (e.g., Brown, Loving) would never have been issued.

Slate is left wing a.f.

Conservative justices are going to conservative.

Slate is left wing a.f.

Conservative justices are going to conservative.
Yep; way left of center, yet maintains a good reputation for factually accurate.

• Overall, we rate Slate, moderately Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.

Why was it OK when RBG did the same type of thing? Oh yeah, she was a liberal democrat and that makes everything OK.

Tell me about how much you complained about "Notorious RBG" when she did the exact same thing.

Why was it OK when RBG did the same type of thing? Oh yeah, she was a liberal democrat and that makes everything OK.
Tell me about how much you complained about "Notorious RBG" when she did the exact same thing.

If you mean the comments she apologized for, can I expect to read an apology from Alito?

You'll never find anyone as aggrieved as a mediocre old white guy with a lifetime appointment. Rough life.
Unless it is an aggrieved mediocre old white woman with a lifetime appointment. Ginsberg's life was so rough!

Where did she support decisions that violated anyone's rights? She supported upholding women's rights.

What example do you have to support your post?

Where did she support decisions that violated anyone's rights? She supported upholding women's rights.

What example do you have to support your post?

The word exact means something entirely different to me than it does to you.
Apparently to you it means something other than the dictionary definition. I made the same request both times. Tell me all about how you criticized Ginsburg when she made her partisan comments. The exact same request, for the third time.

Apparently to you it means something other than the dictionary definition. I made the same request both times. Tell me all about how you criticized Ginsburg when she made her partisan comments. The exact same request, for the third time.

Get back to me with a single specific example of RBG and Alito doing the exact same thing.

In the real world, no amount of spin on your part makes RBG's apology for making inappropriate public comments critical of Chump amount to the exact same thing as Alito making an unapologetic ultra-partisan speech to the Federalist Society.

the federalist like most conservative "groups" are lying putin-loving scum. they are literally still spewing anti-mask, pro-putin lies.

Riiight...Bill Maher slammed/slams Christians for years and years and not a peep out of the left. He brings up Islam and t he left loses their minds. Sure, we believe you.

Back
Top Bottom