• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Salting a steak... WTF is wrong with you people?

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-steak-even-tastier-use-the-dry-brining-method/
[h=2]The Deep Seasoning Method for Steak:[/h]Start with a steak that’s at least one inch thick. Generously season with kosher salt on both sides. Lay it on a rack above a foil-lined tray, uncovered, and put into your fridge.
That’s it. That’s the whole, entire procedure. Well, not entirely, because now you have to wait and leave it like this for 1-3 days. Being the impatient person I am, I tried the method out with a few different increments of time but discovered that the three day yields the best result (although you will still get benefits from leaving it for a day).
pre-salted-steak-32.jpg

I've seen this, in various forms, do it for an hour, do it for 24-72 hours in the fridge... it makes cheap steaks the best steaks yadda yadda yadda.

So I happened to have 2 NY Strips steaks in a pack, not the best quality meat but whatever, I did one the usual way. Set it out an hour, a little salt and pepper then cooked it on the stove at high heat with a little grapeseed oil and then tossed in the oven to finish and cut into it 7 mins after it was done. I'll heat up my toaster oven on warm, put the steak on a stoneware plate and put it in there for the wait, with the heat off.

It wasn't bad, it wasn't great but edible.

Today I tried the above cooking method. This isn't the first time I tried to get this method right.

I had one bite, that I couldn't swallow and I threw the steak away.

Why? IT WAS SALT WITH A HINT OF BEEF. WTF

I do not get this method. I rinsed it off, dried it off.. ****ing hell. Do people really like super salty steak? Cause I can't stand that, it was like... trying to eat a salt lick that someone had infused with beef broth or something. UHG
Seriously, that was foul.

Does anyone here cook their steaks this way? Am I doing something wrong or is that just "the way"?

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-steak-even-tastier-use-the-dry-brining-method/

View attachment 67246446

I've seen this, in various forms, do it for an hour, do it for 24-72 hours in the fridge... it makes cheap steaks the best steaks yadda yadda yadda.

So I happened to have 2 NY Strips steaks in a pack, not the best quality meat but whatever, I did one the usual way. Set it out an hour, a little salt and pepper then cooked it on the stove at high heat with a little grapeseed oil and then tossed in the oven to finish and cut into it 7 mins after it was done. I'll heat up my toaster oven on warm, put the steak on a stoneware plate and put it in there for the wait, with the heat off.

Today I tried the above cooking method. This isn't the first time I tried to get this method right.

I do not get this method. I rinsed it off, dried it off.. ****ing hell. Do people really like super salty steak? Cause I can't stand that, it was like... trying to eat a salt lick that someone had infused with beef broth or something. UHG

Does anyone here cook their steaks this way? Am I doing something wrong or is that just "the way"?

Ew, no. A super salty steak sounds super bad.

View attachment 67246446

mmmmmmmmmm salty steak!!!

To me, that looks like way too much salt. Kosher salt is usually a larger crystal and a little goes a long way, I would say a pinch per side is plenty, that thing is coated.

I use the first method you mentioned. I heat it on one side in a heavy skillet, flip it and immediately put it in the oven to finish. Only difference is that I put a pat of butter on top and a sprig of thyme. So good I have never even wanted to try another method.

View attachment 67246446

I have never heard of salt tenderized beef. I have had very poor quality beef that was injected with 20-30% by weight salt water and then frozen.....they shrink up like a mother****er when you cook them but they are very tender and delish.

To me, that looks like way too much salt. Kosher salt is usually a larger crystal and a little goes a long way, I would say a pinch per side is plenty, that thing is coated.

Yup, kosher and sea salt are different from the iodized table salt everybody buys, they have got larger granules. To be safe, its better to undersalt than oversalt. Some of the steakhouses Ive been to have a bowl of salt on the side when they serve the meat, that way you can season to your taste.

Actually, kosher salt is only half as salty as regular, iodized, table salt so you have to use twice as much.

I do not understand why it would come out so salty. Though I have not ever tried this multi-day method on steak, I have used a hell of a lot more salt on salmon and brisket and while it was salty, it was salty in a good way. Think Lox or Corned Beef

I suppose that if you like salt cured ham, you'd probably like this. I don't. When any seasoning overtakes the flavor of the food, I'm not interested.

The salt isn't really used to season the steak. It's used to draw out the moisture in the steak, so when you cook it, you get a nice hard crust on it.

I always salt-brine my steaks for at least an hour, and keep them at room temp until cooking.

Never a bad steak, and not at all salty.

Actually, kosher salt is only half as salty as regular, iodized, table salt so you have to use twice as much.

I'm not sure that's true. Kosher salt by definition is 100% NACL. Table salt contains other ingredients including iodine and sand.

Kosher salt should be saltier.

View attachment 67246446

Only Philistines actually recommend that time period. It's FAR too long.

Salt and steaks go together, period, but there's a way to do it and a million ways NOT to do it.

Although it's snarky (and this guy has long since ceased to post) this is the simplest, most straightforward manner of making the two get along great together.

A steak w/out salt is a steak wasted.

MEAT ME: A MAN's Guide to COOKING the Perfect STEAK! c/o The Chive

I'm not sure that's true. Kosher salt by definition is 100% NACL. Table salt contains other ingredients including iodine and sand.

Table salt tastes a little saltier. A 1/4 teaspoon of table salt contains 590mg of sodium, compared to 480mg for a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. It's not twice as salty, but it says right on the box that 4T of table salt is equivalent to 5T of kosher.

View attachment 67246446

the answer you are seeking was in the cited article:
IMPORTANT NOTE: after a host of emails from people who complained of overly salty steak, I’ve added in this clarification. Turns out some folks were smothering their steak in salt, similar to using vast quantities when brining a Turkey. So here’s the thing: YES, you should season generously with salt. NO, you should not use more salt than you usually would. Season it as though it were right about to hit the grill. IF YOU PUT A TON OF SALT ON YOUR STEAK, IT WILL BE SALTY! Just use as much salt as you normally would add to a steak, and do not rinse the steak before cooking.
[emphasis added by bubba]

here is a article about properly ageing beef:
https://jesspryles.com/how-to-dry-age-steak/

Table salt tastes a little saltier. A 1/4 teaspoon of table salt contains 590mg of sodium, compared to 480mg for a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. It's not twice as salty, but it says right on the box that 4T of table salt is equivalent to 5T of kosher.

That's true only because a teaspoon of table salt contains less air due to grind differences.

I should have been clearer

By weight, all salts are about equal. After all, salt is salt, right?

But by VOLUME, which is how salt is usually measured, kosher salt is half as salty because the larger crystals prevents it from being as tightly packed as the smaller crystals of regular table salt can get.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Only Philistines actually recommend that time period. It's FAR too long.

Salt and steaks go together, period, but there's a way to do it and a million ways NOT to do it.

Although it's snarky (and this guy has long since ceased to post) this is the simplest, most straightforward manner of making the two get along great together.

A steak w/out salt is a steak wasted.

MEAT ME: A MAN's Guide to COOKING the Perfect STEAK! c/o The Chive

if a raw steak is any good it will not require salt while cooking
add the seasonings after the meat has been cooked (medium rare) and has rested

let the steak sit on the counter until it is at room temperature
place a seasoned cast iron pan in the oven at the highest setting that is not broil and give it time to reach that high temperature
turn on the gas burner of the stove to its highest setting
take the hot pan out of the oven and place it on the burner
now add the (room temperature) steak
no, i did not say anything about oil because it is not needed
let that loudly sizzling steak sear on the initial side
then turn it over and allow that side to sear for about 20 seconds on high heat
now place the pan/steak in the very hot oven
turn the stove top burner off and the oven is turned off, too
have your digital thermometer ready
at about 5 minutes in check to see if it has reached the perfection found at 130 degrees (F for you europeans)
once there, take it out of the oven and off of the pan and into your plate for it to rest about 5 minutes
now is the time to put butter on it
while waiting for it to fully rest, go find a good porter and open it (or a good red wine if you have a lady friend eating with you)
get together whatever else you are going to consume
now, enjoy the steak
if you believe it needs salt add it now, having already tasted it
you're welcome

That's true only because a teaspoon of table salt contains less air due to grind differences.
Well, no that's not the only reason. The smaller granules in table salt dissolve much more quickly on the tongue, so you get more of an intense, salty burst than you do with kosher salt, even when comparing equivalent levels of sodium (not a factor, obviously if the salt is completely dissolved in the food).

View attachment 67246446

Try it with smoked sea salt from Mexico. HEB carries it.

place a seasoned cast iron pan in the oven at the highest setting that is not broil and give it time to reach that high temperature
at about 5 minutes in check to see if it has reached the perfection found at 130 degrees (F for you europeans)
once there, take it out of the oven and off of the pan and into your plate for it to rest about 5 minutes
while waiting for it to fully rest, go find a good porter and open it (or a good red wine if you have a lady friend eating with you)
now, enjoy the steak
you're welcome

No, it doesn't require salt, necessarily, but to my estimation, it always helps to put it on in the order I suggested.

YMMV.

I use the first method you mentioned. I heat it on one side in a heavy skillet, flip it and immediately put it in the oven to finish. Only difference is that I put a pat of butter on top and a sprig of thyme. So good I have never even wanted to try another method.

Our HEB has some garlic herb butter that melts BEAUTIFULLY on steak, I generally put that on when it's resting.

Yup, kosher and sea salt are different from the iodized table salt everybody buys, they have got larger granules. To be safe, its better to undersalt than oversalt. Some of the steakhouses Ive been to have a bowl of salt on the side when they serve the meat, that way you can season to your taste.

I use Kosher salt... still too salty

now, enjoy the steak
you're welcome

Well, like I said I've seen this method on youtube and other places and I keep thinking "Am I missing something"? So far the answer is... nope, just nasty steaks. As a rule I buy GOOD steaks, once in a while, since I now am on a higher protein diet I get some cheaper steaks for breakfast.

I use a little salt and pepper when cooking, and if it needs something later, a dash of garlic salt when eating I find a good thing, but that's just me. My preferred method is mesquite grilled, but I have mastered the pan seared steak action, it's quite good actually.

I typically only do 4 hours with large grained salts and one with smaller cut sea salt. Tastes great to me.

Back
Top Bottom