• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Salmon

My normal go to for salmon is a very simple preparation. Salt and pepper and sauteed, skin on, in a little olive oil fortified with a bit of butter until medium rare. Last minute or two it gets a drizzle of fresh lemon juice. Essentially the same way I make steaks and the outcome is pretty much the same texturally. Crispy exterior and pink melt-in-your-mouth interior.

As well we eat it smoked, grilled on cedar, in bagels and lox and as sushi/sashimi

A few years ago, I took the family to Bellingham, WA,
There was a restaurant there called, Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro
that served the best salmon chowder, I have ever had.
I found they had the recipe as a youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYw5y806RxM

Wrapped in foil baked in oven. Makes onions soft and sweet.
It's one of our cook quick meals that the kids love.
If I have time then using a cedar plank on the BBQ is a great way to go.
I also love blackened salmon, but wife/kids dont make it anymore :(

Yikes

Does the onion overpower the fish? I am in no way a good cook, I do try. I thought that was a cardinal rule, no onions with fish, but you folks are the experts. Interesting, not a fan of salmon, but like cod and haddock, wonder if onions would go well with white fish?

Yikes

Does the onion overpower the fish? I am in no way a good cook, I do try. I thought that was a cardinal rule, no onions with fish, but you folks are the experts. Interesting

onion with lemon goes well with fishes except salmon

Simple recipe:
Salt and pepper the salmon, place it on tinfoil, top with butter and sliced onions, wrap it up and cook it.
Kids love it like that. You can use lemons instead of onions but everyone does lemons

I use lemon, onions and mushrooms and throw the whole tinfoil thing on the grill.

I love onions in cooking, next time I grill Cod I will try the onion and lemon

Thanks!!

1494235991390551469.jpg

Talk to me people. How do you like your salmon prepared?

My favorite was to cook it is to smoke it over cherry wood at low temperature. Lightly seasoned with sea-salt from a grinder, pepper from a grinder, and a dusting of brown sugar.

Smoked salmon is an absolute treat in every way for me.

How about you? What's your recipe for delicious mouth watering salmon?

Most smoked salmon is pretty much ruined, IMO. I smoke mine, but I stop smoking when the salmon is cooked. I don't dry it out, over-salt it and dump so much sugar on it that it qualifies as breakfast cereal as too many people do. I essentially bake it in my smoker, leaving it moist, tender, tasting like salmon, but kissed with smoke. The only thing I put on it is light brushing of apple syrup (cider reduced to a thick syrup), salt and pepper.

Were in Turkey are you located? I was stationed at Incirlik 2009-2011, not far from Adana. It was one of my favorite assignments, the Turks were so friendly and hospitable. I hope to go back to Turkey someday.

Were in Turkey are you located? I was stationed at Incirlik 2009-2011, not far from Adana. It was one of my favorite assignments, the Turks were so friendly and hospitable. I hope to go back to Turkey someday.

what did you eat here ?Tell me !

Most smoked salmon is pretty much ruined, IMO. I smoke mine, but I stop smoking when the salmon is cooked. I don't dry it out, over-salt it and dump so much sugar on it that it qualifies as breakfast cereal as too many people do. I essentially bake it in my smoker, leaving it moist, tender, tasting like salmon, but kissed with smoke. The only thing I put on it is light brushing of apple syrup (cider reduced to a thick syrup), salt and pepper.

When I smoke salmon I set my smoker temp about as low as possible. I use cherry wood chips. I have an internal thermometer in fish and watch it until it hits 135-145 degrees and then I yank that salmon out immediately.

Your apple syrup idea sounds wonderful. Might have to try that soon.

What temp for oven, and roughly how long?

Usually 400 and depends on thickness of the salmon, but say between 15 and 30 mins (sometimes I use frozen so takes longer)

Lots of Chicken Tava lol

It was my favorite!! Everything is fresh, and kept simple.

I have yet to attempt to cook chicken tava myself

Feel free to pass me your recipe lol

I use lemon, onions and mushrooms and throw the whole tinfoil thing on the grill.

I absolutely love saute mushrooms and onions...but for the life of me I can't imagine cooking salmon with mushrooms and onions all together.

I can sure as hell try it with one piece the next time I make it my usual way though. :peace

Yikes

Does the onion overpower the fish? I am in no way a good cook, I do try. I thought that was a cardinal rule, no onions with fish, but you folks are the experts. Interesting, not a fan of salmon, but like cod and haddock, wonder if onions would go well with white fish?

The onions definitely do not overpower the fish, they cook with it and take on some of the salmon flavor themselves. Its not the same as if you fry up the onions then add them. In fact if you buy pickled herring it usually has onions as well.

When I smoke salmon I set my smoker temp about as low as possible. I use cherry wood chips. I have an internal thermometer in fish and watch it until it hits 135-145 degrees and then I yank that salmon out immediately.

Your apple syrup idea sounds wonderful. Might have to try that soon.

I do it just the opposite, run the temp up to around 300-325, so that it has less time to dry out. I use the "flake test" to check for doneness... I also just got a cold-smoker and am looking forward to cold smoking and then baking some salmon. I figure about 2 hours of cold smoke and then crank up the heat in my smoker and finish it off in about 15 minutes.

Usually 400 and depends on thickness of the salmon, but say between 15 and 30 mins (sometimes I use frozen so takes longer)

Wow...that's HOT.
I usually like a lower temp and longer time.

Daughter doesn't like mushrooms that much. Never thought of cooking the onions and lemons together, usually its one or the other. Though we do tend to have lemon wedges when we do the onion salmon.

Wow...that's HOT.
I usually like a lower temp and longer time.

Meh, its all ok. The onions will be ready whenever the fish is so it doesn't really matter that much. Just dont undercook/overcook it. I tend to err on the side of undercooking and occasionally have to put it back in the oven for a bit.

I do it just the opposite, run the temp up to around 300-325, so that it has less time to dry out. I use the "flake test" to check for doneness... I also just got a cold-smoker and am looking forward to cold smoking and then baking some salmon. I figure about 2 hours of cold smoke and then crank up the heat in my smoker and finish it off in about 15 minutes.

I have a propane fired smoker. Lowest I can get it is around 225 F. I've never had my salmon be dry.

I know that there's a huge controversy with some who smoke about using water in the pan over the wood chips or not.
I smoke with water in that pan. Maybe the moisture prevents drying.

I absolutely love saute mushrooms and onions...but for the life of me I can't imagine cooking salmon with mushrooms and onions all together.

I can sure as hell try it with one piece the next time I make it my usual way though. :peace

Whole salmon, stuff it with the onions, butter and mushrooms, seal it in tin foil and throw on the grill.

Daughter doesn't like mushrooms that much. Never thought of cooking the onions and lemons together, usually its one or the other. Though we do tend to have lemon wedges when we do the onion salmon.

I usually put the lemons on the outside of the fish and put the onions, mushrooms, butter in the cavity.

I usually put the lemons on the outside of the fish and put the onions, mushrooms, butter in the cavity.

Usually do mine with filets, so no inside.
Perhaps Ill try that though. I they are hidden my daughter might try it
Any particular mushrooms?

Back
Top Bottom