• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sake

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What are your thoughts on the Japanese invention, Sake, the lovely rice wine. I find when I get it at some Japanese restaraunts it's amazing warm. I absolutely adore the taste. Anyone else enjoy this delicious beverage? :mrgreen:

What are your thoughts on the Japanese invention, Sake, the lovely rice wine. I find when I get it at some Japanese restaraunts it's amazing warm. I absolutely adore the taste. Anyone else enjoy this delicious beverage? :mrgreen:

I prefer Japanese plum wine. I bought a bottle of sake once, poured a cup, drank it, and spit it out. Plum wine, however, it's quite the tasty treat.

Yes! I love sake too. So much so that I bought a couple sake serving "sets" so that I may drink it at home. Not only is it tasty, but enjoy the "ceremony" or traditions of how it is served, never pour your own. My closest friend and really got into it.

Yes! I love sake too. So much so that I bought a couple sake serving "sets" so that I may drink it at home. Not only is it tasty, but enjoy the "ceremony" or traditions of how it is served, never pour your own. My closest friend and really got into it.

I also enjoy Sake - but for some reason it always tastes better in Japan! The one I really liked was Kakeuri (sp?) I believe it's made in the Niigata prefecture. I've seen it in the U.S. but at the time I didn't pick up a bottle and should have.:doh

I also enjoy Sake - but for some reason it always tastes better in Japan! The one I really liked was Kakeuri (sp?) I believe it's made in the Niigata prefecture. I've seen it in the U.S. but at the time I didn't pick up a bottle and should have.:doh

I wish I could taste it in Japan! I'm sure the atmosphere alone makes it taste better. I always notice that about wine I drink in restaurants tastes better than the same bottle at home.

I don't live where there is a wide variety to of Sake available. Just a few brands, though, Trader Joe's is here, I should take a look there the next time I go there or to the big city. I'll keep the brand you mentioned in mind.

Thanks!

Loooooove it! There is a Asian (mainly Japanese) market and food court close to me and they have over 80 types of sake!!!

I have tried 12 so far. I prefer the cold sake most of the time but still have an affection for the ones that are supposed to be served warm too. The unfiltered milky-looking ones are sweet and just GREAT! But I also like the dry ones too! :)

Great topic! :2wave:

I do not really care for it. I do cook with it but I do not drink it. Maybe I just need to find a better brand.

draftsake.gif

I love sake, but the cold variety. There's one that my boyfriend and I always get when we go to our favourite Japanese restaurant. It's $30 for a small bottle, but well worth the price.

Ok it was driving me nuts and I searched for the brand name... it's Kakurei Daiginjo and I found a link.

Niigata Sake Selections

It's the best I've ever tasted and it served cold. The warm sake I have a difficult time enjoying but I'm Gaijin so that's to be expected.

Ok it was driving me nuts and I searched for the brand name... it's Kakurei Daiginjo and I found a link.

Niigata Sake Selections

It's the best I've ever tasted and it served cold. The warm sake I have a difficult time enjoying but I'm Gaijin so that's to be expected.

Thanks! Maybe, now that I have the name, I can search for it online.

I've never had cold sake, only warm, so this intrigues me.

If I may pry a bit, did you live in Japan, or were you visiting? If you would rather not answer, no worries.

Thanks! Maybe, now that I have the name, I can search for it online.

I've never had cold sake, only warm, so this intrigues me.

If I may pry a bit, did you live in Japan, or were you visiting? If you would rather not answer, no worries.

I stayed in Japan twice for a few weeks at a time when I was in the Army. I went back in 2001 to Tokyo for my work and stayed an extra week and visited a friend who moved there. He happens to live in the Niigata prefecture and is an assistant manager or engineer part of the year at a ski resort there. We had a few bottles of that sake one evening and I think that's why I still remember the name of the snake that bit me. The great thing was, the hangover was minimal. I'd love to go back soon but finances are a little tight.

I stayed in Japan twice for a few weeks at a time when I was in the Army. I went back in 2001 to Tokyo for my work and stayed an extra week and visited a friend who moved there. He happens to live in the Niigata prefecture and is an assistant manager or engineer part of the year at a ski resort there. We had a few bottles of that sake one evening and I think that's why I still remember the name of the snake that bit me. The great thing was, the hangover was minimal. I'd love to go back soon but finances are a little tight.

How lucky you were able to go there more than once and for longer than the average vacation. I've been interested in Japanese culture since I read "Shogun". I know that sounds silly, but I was a teenager at the time and it kind of hooked me. I'm far from expert so maybe my interest is more of a curiosity. It's so very different from the West. I would love to visit there, someday.

Thanks. I hope you get to go back someday soon.

Back
Top Bottom