• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saint Patrick's Day on March 17 - who honours this day?

Saint Patrick's Day on March 17 - who honours this day?

• I have Irish connections

• I have no Irish connections

• I honour that day

• I do not honour that day

• I may have a Guinness

• I may have an Irish whiskey

• I may wear someting green

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I did vote, because @Rumpel finally made a public vote. :D

One common tradition is the, "St. Joseph's Table".
A great story! :)

The History​

Centuries ago, Sicily, the big island off the southern tip of Italy, suffered drought and famine. No rain fell and the crops withered and died. The people turned in prayer to their patron, San Giuseppe, St. Joseph, for relief. At long last, the clouds opened and all of Sicily rejoiced!

To show their gratitude, they prepared tables at home with special foods to honor St. Joseph and to share with the poor. Over time the traditional St. Joseph tables grew larger and more ornate, with many symbolic elements and becoming a parish community event.

Today, the tradition of St. Joseph tables are continued in a number of parishes within the diocese: after Mass, the decorated tables are blessed by the parish priest and the community is invited to view the table and share a meal. Baked treats and decorations from the table are sold and the proceeds go to those in need.

The Rune of Saint Patrick

At Tara today in this fateful hour
I place all heaven with its power,
and the sun with its brightness,
and the snow with its whiteness,
and fire with all the strength it hath,
and lightning with its rapid wrath,
and the winds with their swiftness along their path,
and the sea with its deepness,
and the rocks with their steepness
and the earth with its starkness:
all these I place,
by God's almighty help and grace,
between myself and the powers of darkness.

My family dyes their hair green.

3 now say:
I honour that day!

So it was in the year 2018 in Karlsruhe - and I was there.

Do you also know Saint Urho?

Saint Urho (Finnish: Pyhä Urho [ˈpyhæ ˈurho]) is a fictional saint of Finland, created and elaborated by Finnish Americans in Northern Minnesota in the 1950s, to celebrate their heritage and extend celebrations of St. Patrick's Day.[1] His celebration day is set to March 16, the day before the March 17 feast day of St. Patrick. St. Patrick's feast day is celebrated by Irish Americans, of whom there are also many in Minnesota.[

Today is the day!

Will you do anything special today?

I had been waiting to get my usual yearly Saint Patrick's Day card from Dublin.
And already feared that I might get none this year.
But it arrived on time today!

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!​

= Happy St. Patrick’s Day!​

Back
Top Bottom