• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saint Anthony helps to bring back lost things - did you know that?

• yes, I know

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • no, I do not know

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Saint Anthony has helped me to bring back lost things

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

St. Anthony is the patron saint of sailors, castaways, old people, the sick, pig farmers, and most importantly – with his intercession, God has mercy on a man in trouble, helping to find lost things. St Anthony is the patron saint of lost things. Yes, St Anthony prayer for lost things is legendary. Millions of people claim that God always heard them when they asked for St. Antony’s intercession. Also in critical situations where a person seems to have “lost his soul”.

Quatsch!

Quatsch” is a German word that can be used to describe all those things and more. It comes from the verb “quatschen,” which means to “talk nonsense.” It likely originated in the 16th century as a word that mimics a sound.

Saint Anthony has helped me to bring back lost things - yes, he did :)

More about Saint Anthony:

St Anthony‘s feast day is June 13th, but we can ask for his help at any time we feel it is needed. St Anthony is a powerful intercessor. There are many shared stories about the power of St Anthony’s prayer, which helped many people to get what they prayed for.

You need to say St Anthony’s prayer with faith in your heart and mention your specific requests and needs. These request could be about:

lost or stolen things,
lost items,
lost people,
any lost matters in your life which are important to you,
difficulties in the family
financial problems.

Saint Anthony is one of the many Gods of Catholicism

Fairies help to bring back lost things - did you know that? :cool:

Superstitious nonsense...

2 out of 5 say:

Saint Anthony has helped me to bring back lost things​

Another nice story about Saint Anthony:

Legend has it that after a crowd in Rimini, Italy refused to hear him speak, St. Anthony turned to the ocean and started preaching to the fish. Not long into his sermon, a school of fish rose from the water to listen to his words.

Legend has it that after a crowd in Rimini, Italy refused to hear him speak, St. Anthony turned to the ocean and started preaching to the fish. Not long into his sermon, a school of fish rose from the water to listen to his words.

"Oh, look! A Human that isn't trying to kill and eat us! Let's see what he has to say!"

I imagine they listened intently until he got to the part about feeding the masses, then quickly swam off before he got any funny ideas. :)

I remember once when I was a kid, my very Catholic friend lost something--it was something she really needed, too, in a hurry, like one of her shoes or something. I immediately started hunting for it, and I looked over after crawling under the bed to see her crossing herself and praying instead. I said What are you doing? Why aren't you looking for your shoe? She told me she was praying to St. Anthony. It was highly annoying.

Some legends:

The story of Anthony "preaching to the fish,“ originated in Rimini, where he had gone to preach. When heretics there treated him with contempt, Anthony was said to have gone to the shoreline, where he began to preach at the water’s edge until a great crowd of fish was seen gathered before him. The people of the town flocked to see this marvel, after which Anthony charged them with the fact that the fish were more receptive to his message than the heretics of the church, at which point the people were moved to listen to his message.[9]

In another oft-told story, which took place in Toulouse, Anthony was challenged by a heretic to prove the reality of the Real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The man, who sought to mock Anthony by show, brought out a half-starved mule and showed it fresh fodder on one hand, and the sacramental host on the other. The mule was said to have ignored the fodder and instead of eating either, bowed before the sacrament.[9]

Another account tells of an occasion in Italy when Anthony was dining with heretics. He realized the food they put before him was poisoned, and he confronted them. The men admitted to attempting to kill him, but then challenged him to eat if he truly believed the words spoken in Mark 16:18 about the apostles of Christ: "...and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them." Anthony is said to have blessed the food, eaten it, and suffered no harm, much to the amazement of his hosts.

I grew up knowing about this claim for St. Anthony. But it isn't actually true. I am very successful at finding lost things and I never pray for St. Anthony's help. It's a cute belief, but baseless. Just ask me to find a lost item and I will come through.

Well that is epically untrue.

You obviously have no clue what happens or doesn’t happen “in all American churches”.

Stop spreading untruths.
uh do you know?

And?

Where and when and how was that shoe found?
Don't remember.
If she'd prayed while looking for the shoe I wouldn't have remembered it after all these years.

uh do you know?
There are entire denominations that don’t give two craps about the stupid “saints”.

So saying “all”, is not only completely impossible to prove, it’s also outright ignorant of basic facts.

Back
Top Bottom